· Text Sermons
    Christian Books
    Online Bibles
· Video Sermons
· Vintage Images
· Discussion Forum
· Help Support
· Contact Us

Share SI with others - Add a website link or image banner on your website or blog.

Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The vileness of the saint

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 Next Page )
PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I am a young people and I am vile but far from seeped of love. My wickedness only causes me to focus on the true source of Love, Christ Jesus. It is always my desire to love with the Love of Christ because my love is well vile. It's selfish and unlovely. My dependance on Christ is what keeps me going.

www.facebook.com/restorationinchrist

2012/3/31 12:47Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

There is much confusion in this thread on what and who a Christian is.

Pilgrim

2012/3/31 12:53Profile

Re:

Quote:
There is much confusion in this thread on what and who a Christian is.

Pilgrim

"There is much confusion in this 'forum' on what and who a Christian is."

There, fixed that for you.

As quoted, there has been little confusion on what and who a Christian is in days of old, it's only today that the 'confusion' has arisen. If any one of the preachers quoted actually showed up here, they would be tarred and feathered too, that is just the way it is today. The apostasy is nearly entirely complete, so much so that very few are not 'confused' on what and who a Christian is.

OJ

2012/3/31 13:13

Re:

Quote:
I am a young people and I am vile but far from seeped of love.

Matt

Good statement, but just so you know, statements like that will make you an enemy of the state around here. Actually knowing who you are is frowned upon in these here parts.

OJ

2012/3/31 13:18
pilgrim777

Re:

Quote:

There, fixed that for you.

Thank you, Joe.

2012/3/31 14:10Profile

Re:

Quote:

Joe, you're talking about the apostasy and yet one of the main reasons given in His Word for the apostasy is "because iniquity abounds, the love of most will grow Cold" - and yet, when a bunch of us were posting that we desire to obey His Word 'because we love Him', that was when you went on your big rampage against us last year. You mocked the posters desire to obey GOD out of their love for Him alone.

'The one against the many' mentality is the opposite work that quite a number of us have been praying against - as we've been praying for unity on "this forum".
We've come a long way over the yrs but you have set aims to be that cog in the wheel against His Love here among us.

That is part of the apostasy. As much as 2Tim 3 is.

I'll add: GOD forgive you.

2012/3/31 15:24

Re:

Can someone tell me why this thread is vile?

I hear calls to lock er up! Is it really that bad? I've seen a whole lot worse threads that keep going without being padlocked.

There is scripture that support this, it's not a teaching, it's just something that men go through. It's not something that anyone of us longs to do or be apart of. It's simply a state in which we see ourselves and the wretchedness therein. It's not all the time, there are moments in which we find ourselves in this place and it may be fleeting or it may last for sometime but most of the time we are not.

So why the passion to eagerly denounce?

Did you know that anger only helps solidify a persons stubborn nature?

Did you know a soft word turneth away wrath?

Did you know that love worketh no ill toward it's neighbour?

Did you know that rebuking someone is not tearing them apart, or slandering them in public?

Did you know that we all don't agree on everything and the things that we believe could be wrong or simply misaligned?

Did you know that when we point the finger we are pointing the finger at ourselves as we find ourselves engulfed in the very thing that we have pointed the finger at?

Did you know that if we all met together that we'd see each other differently, and that we'd probably be embarrassed and apologetic? It's easy to squeal our wheels in a neighbourhood that we don't know and be all big and bad and another thing to meet those neighbours to apologize, it's humbling.

Did you know it's better to listen than it is to talk?

Did you know that in listening to other people we begin to understand one another? If we are talking all the time, how can we be listening? God has more to say than we do.

Did you know that we don't love one another?

2012/3/31 20:16
Compton

Re:

Approved,

Your question is a fair one. I would like to respectfully attempt a constructive answer.

As you have noted, there is established history and doctrine of the topic of whether Christians should see themselves as vile. From Paul calling himself the chief of sinners, to many puritans who practiced unflinching critiques of themselves in their writing, preaching, and prayers, we can see this idea being upheld.

And certainly, even if some don't agree with vileness as an attitude to maintain, all of us, or at least most, can relate to experiencing a "dark night of the soul" where we were confronted with some terrible glimpse at who we really were without Christ. Who here can say they came to Christ out of the goodness of their heart? None, I would venture. Instead we all come to Christ or mature in Christ though a crisis that shatters our ideal illusions about ourselves.

So if we can agree n this point, then why would some call this thread vile? Well, not because of the doctrinal debate.

The thread demonstrates a common problem in many internet forums, where we stop talking about a topic and instead turn our flame throwers on one another in personal attacks. We insinuate that the other party is not a true believer, or that they are of the world, and other unnecessary personal provocations.

I think overall these forums are gracious in their tolerance for a variety of perspectives and convictions. The one thing that triggers "moderation" of a thread is when that thread begins to be characterized by intensely personal attacks. At least that is the guiding policy we try to uphold here.

Even so, this thread is still active. Which, to your point, means that it is not as disrespectful as some doozies have been in the past. Yet there is still the question...why do we have to be even slightly disrespectful to each other to make our points?

Thanks Approved,

MC

2012/4/1 0:09Profile

Re:

Mike

You are writing this off as though it was ONLY a Puritan thought, but neither Spurgeon, nor Ironside, nor Tozer (quoted below) were Puritans, they were simply Christians.

"In the light of this it is not hard to see why the Christian's attitude toward self is such an excellent test of the validity of his religious experiences.
A good rule is this: If this experience has served to humble me and make me little and vile in my own eyes it is of God; but if it has given me a feeling of self-satisfaction it is false and should be dismissed as emanating from self or the devil."

To be vile in one's own eyes is a Christian thought, because others cannot bear to see themselves this way.

OJ

2012/4/1 1:55
Compton

Re:

OJ,

In all sincerity I was not writing it off. Within the limited space of two paragraphs I was trying to validate your perspective. My point was that many Christians throughout history, have in common a testimony of agonizing with their own lowliest before the Lord. I only mentioned the Puritans as a well understood example.

So there is a level of agreement between us. And, when there is not agreement, there is a charitable spirit between us.

The gentlest appeal I would make to all of us is to try and recognize the difference between disagreement and disrespect. It is much harder to have conversations like this in writing then in person. (we could at least agree on that!) Although a forum like this can be somewhat impersonal, we are attempting to engage deeply personal subjects! It is a recipe for volatility:)

From time to time I am reminded that the SI forums are not just a place to build my cases, but to build one another. I am embarrased to admit, I barely have an idea of what that might look like in an Internet forum. I know i dont have nearly the experience or wisdom to answer that by myself. But I think it's a question we could answer together.

Thanks Old Joe,

MC

2012/4/1 8:49Profile

©2002-2014 SermonIndex.net Audio Sermons | Google+
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival. | Privacy Policy