SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Unity and Revival Examples help please!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread

Re:

"We should be about unity for the restoration of the original message given to the New Testament church. We should never strive for unity for the sake of unity alone but only that it is pleasing to God and exalts the Lord Jesus and His pure and undefiled Word. "

Amen.

"There is no unity apart from truth - its a phoney false unity. You can not be unified, the unity doesnt come from mens minds and wills it comes from the very heart of God. If you love Jesus Christ with all your heart, if he's the lord of your life, if you want to serve him with all of your life, if you want to walk in holiness and obediance to this word, if you truly love him then I am unified with you right away" - Carter Conlon

2012/2/25 23:53
EvangelTam

Re:

2012/2/26 0:02Profile
EvangelTam

Re:

2012/2/26 0:17Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, a video can be obtained from global net productions phone...18006685657....since this video was made there has been hard persecution on these people with many deaths and they have to have armed guards for their church services.jimpcali col. revival

2012/2/26 2:44Profile
staff

Re: Unity and Revival Examples help please!

Hi EvangelTam,
I cant help you with examples of unity being key to a specific revival but about 15years ago I studied unity with great help from the Holy Spirit.This was pointed out to me.
Their are three list of giftings in the new testament and all three are linked to Unity directly.As far as I can remember Unity is not mentioned apart from the "Gifts".
My point is that it appears that without the gifts working correctly unity is immpossible.Whether this helps bring revival I cant say for sure...
If I get the time I will look up the scripture to back this up.
I hope you find this helpful
Yours Staff

2012/2/27 16:35Profile
staff

Re:

Hi EvangelTam,

Let me highlight this verse so that their would be no division.....I would say that for the church to work correctly firstly their has to be gifts and secondly they have to be working in order...but whether that leads to revival I dont know.I will look further Staff

(But God has so composed the body, giving more abundant honor to that member which lacked, 25 so that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another)

1 Corinth 12

1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware. 2 You know that when you were pagans, you were led astray to the mute idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God says, "Jesus is accursed "; and no one can say, "Jesus is Lord," except by the Holy Spirit. 4 Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 And there are varieties of ministries, and the same Lord. 6 There are varieties of effects, but the same God who works all things in all persons. 7 But to each one is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. 8 For to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, and to another the word of knowledge according to the same Spirit ; 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, and to another gifts of healing by the one Spirit, 10 and to another the effecting of miracles, and to another prophecy, and to another the distinguishing of spirits, to another various kinds of tongues, and to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually just as He wills. 12 For even as the body is one and yet has many members, and all the members of the body, though they are many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body, whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free, and we were all made to drink of one Spirit. 14 For the body is not one member, but many. 15 If the foot says, "Because I am not a hand, I am not a part of the body," it is not for this reason any the less a part of the body. 16 And if the ear says, "Because I am not an eye, I am not a part of the body," it is not for this reason any the less a part of the body. 17 If the whole body were an eye, where would the hearing be? If the whole were hearing, where would the sense of smell be? 18 But now God has placed the members, each one of them, in the body, just as He desired. 19 If they were all one member, where would the body be? 20 But now there are many members, but one body. 21 And the eye cannot say to the hand, "I have no need of you"; or again the head to the feet, "I have no need of you." 22 On the contrary, it is much truer that the members of the body which seem to be weaker are necessary ; 23 and those members of the body which we deem less honorable, on these we bestow more abundant honor, and our less presentable members become much more presentable, 24 whereas our more presentable members have no need of it. But God has so composed the body, giving more abundant honor to that member which lacked, 25 so that there may be no division in the body, but that the members may have the same care for one another. 26 And if one member suffers, all the members suffer with it; if one member is honored, all the members rejoice with it. 27 Now you are Christ's body, and individually members of it. 28 And God has appointed in the church, first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, then miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, various kinds of tongues. 29 All are not apostles, are they? All are not prophets, are they? All are not teachers, are they? All are not workers of miracles, are they? 30 All do not have gifts of healings, do they? All do not speak with tongues, do they? All do not interpret, do they? 31 But earnestly desire the greater gifts. A nd I show you a still more excellent way.

2012/2/27 17:01Profile
learjet

Re:

Quote:
"There is no unity apart from truth - its a phoney false unity. You can not be unified, the unity doesnt come from mens minds and wills it comes from the very heart of God. If you love Jesus Christ with all your heart, if he's the lord of your life, if you want to serve him with all of your life, if you want to walk in holiness and obediance to this word, if you truly love him then I am unified with you right away" - Carter Conlon

This is true, if you research the Shantung Revival there are numerous testimonies regarding when God's Spirit fell in power. The missionaries there were living in a false unity, when the Lord poured out His spirit, one of the first things that they did was confess their inner sins toward one another, it was an amazing work. Be careful what you read though, folks in denominational walls have tried to put their own spin on it.

The Lord ROCKED the nation of China during this time, millions were born again!

Here's a good link about it:
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=652&commentView=itemComments

Personally, I'm tired of using the term 'was' regarding revival, the body needs it badly, I need to see it! :-)

2012/2/27 17:46Profile
roadsign

Re: Unity or Unanimity

Regarding the aim of unity, I once heard someone express concern that striving for unity, as an end in itself, actually creates disunity. That got me thinking, and so I formulated my thoughts in this reading. Perhaps it adds some substance to this topic.

---------------
Unity or Unanimity:

Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace. Eph. 4:3

What does “unity” mean to you? Is it everybody getting along? Everyone on the same page? What should that “page” look like? Do you see why striving for unity can be intensely disuniting? People can have such different expectations, that you end up with a great deal of disagreement.

True, you can achieve a measure of conformity; but that is not unity; it’s unanimity. It might be “the group think” - where the group tells everyone what to think. But to be sure, “when all think alike, no one thinks much.” Nor is unity a meltdown of ideas, theologies, or differences. It is not inclusivity or equality. Those might actually be attempts to eradicate differences and prevent the conflicts we need in order to create strong healthy communities.

Scripture describes a specific kind of unity. It is a “unity of the Spirit”, and it is forged “through the bond of peace”. It is what happens when diverse people place themselves under Christ as their head. The Spirit can then work in these people towards a unified purpose. That is why in Christ “there is one body, one Spirit … one hope, one faith… one baptism... one God and Father of all who is over all and in all.” Eph. 4:3-6 This is about spiritual unity. It is God imprinting hearts through the work of his Spirit.

This kind of unity cannot be stamped onto people from the outside – not by rules, rituals, policies, or coercion. This unity cannot be pressed into any religious form or place. But it is, nevertheless, the unity God’s people are called to preserve. It is intended to be the glue in relationships among the people of God.

We facilitate this unity by making space for each person’s spiritual journey of faith, realizing that this involves a rugged and ongoing process of change in each of us. It requires us to embrace diversity, creative conflict, and a willingness to lose smaller battles in order to win the bigger one. Through the effective management of conflict and differences we can build spiritual maturity, mutual love, and peace. This is how we “make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit” In this way all work in harmony with God’s ultimate purposes for his people: “In him you are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.” Eph. 2:22

Diane

2012/2/27 19:22Profile
roadsign

Re:

I just realized that this is really about unity in revival. Actually I am presently reading about the revival history in China. ("China's Christian Millions" by Tony Lambert.) It's massive! There is, to be sure, a measure of unity, but there is also a lot of diversity. And there certainly isn't total agreement - like on state church vs house church practice. Still, God seems to work mightily anyway. Also, these revivals didn't necessarily flow out of unity (as a precondition). Sometimes one person was a spark. And sometimes the seeds were sown many years earlier.

Overall, it seems that the desperate neediness left by communism helped give the people a hunger for God. In that respect there certainly was a form of unity.

Our society is desperately needy too - but, let's admit, we still have a lot of means available yet to dull the neediness - through our wealth and materialism. The day will come when that will be gone - and God is the only hope. But first, just as in China, the church as we know it may need to disappear - in order to be born anew. That's my hunch - because the church still has too much power, affluence, and control.

Diane

2012/2/27 19:46Profile
EvangelTam

Re:

Hey all thanks for all your answers!

I actually just finished writing down my convictions on unity you can check it out here:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=43564&forum=45&0

In Christ
Evangel

2012/2/27 22:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy