SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Order of Epistles?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
madmatg

asia

Order of Epistles?

Does anyone know of any good theories about the order the letters were written in? I've seen that it would probly be impossible to find the order but theories would be good.

2005/1/25 17:25Profile

Re: Order of Epistles?

I'll have to dig... I have a book somewhere that came up with the order, tho they admit it could be a little off. It was based on the order of how things happened (missionary journeys, etc.) in the book of Acts.

Right now, tho, they are in order from longest to shortest, with the exception of Revelation.

Krispy

2005/1/26 12:35
madmatg

asia

Re:

arighty sounds good; I guess if i wasnt such a lazy bum I could have thought of that and looked through acts myself. :)

2005/1/27 18:28Profile
dohzman

Book to read

John Pollock wrote a book entitled "A life of Paul" in it you will get the epistles in thier order plus its an interesting read.

2005/1/27 19:29Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Book to read

Paul's letters are probably in this order...

Galatians.
1 Thessalonians.
2 Thessalonians
1 Corinthians.
2 Corinthians.
Romans.
Colossians.
Ephesians.
Philemon.
Philippians.
1 Timothy.
Titus.
2 Timothy.

James is almost certainly very early. Either James or Galatians would have been the earliest.

2005/1/28 3:26Profile

Re:

I concur with the previous post. Thats what my studies have uncovered. Alot people (for some reason) also do not realize that the Bible was not written in "verses". That wasnt developed until the middle ages... I believe. I like the way Tyndale's Bible reads... no verse numbers. Just paragraphs. Sometimes it helps you to understand the flow of thought.

Krispy

2005/1/28 8:08
Holywarrior

dates?

Hi Philologos

Can you add dates to those books?

Brother in Christ
Holywarrior

2005/1/29 12:55Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: dates?

Hi Holywarrior
This is not an exact science as there are few events which have a Bible reference and a secular date. However, I have found a chart that sounds very reasonable to my understanding of these things. Dates of the New Testament Documents

There are some anomalies in this list, but we can discuss them if you wish.

I have sent a Powerpoint slide to Greg and hopefully he will find a corner for it on the site. I have designed it to show the dates of the New Testament documents against some key events. It is approximate but should give the you the feel of things. Watch this space.

2005/1/29 18:45Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I have sent a Powerpoint slide to Greg and hopefully he will find a corner for it on the site.

I have gotten up the pdf that Ron sent me. Its a great document to rotate and print out for reference.. great work Ron.

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/pdf/timeline.gif[/img]

2005/1/30 21:29Profile
madmatg

asia

Re:

thank yall for this, also got a site that has some dates for NT books. http://www.errantskeptics.org/Dating_the_NT.htm

2005/2/1 0:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy