SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Being Slain in the Spirit by Bill Niland

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread
DEADn

Lakeland FL

Re:

Quote:

Quote:
deadn wrote:
I figure that if it doesn't produce good stuff than throw it out.

How do you figure that it doesn’t produce “good stuff?”

Quote:
deadn wrote:
Matter o fact I figure if it happens it should be happening in the prayer closet rather than within the church.

Who says it hasn’t happened in a person’s prayer closet?! I’m a witness, it has!

God bless,
Lisa
Quote:

You misunderstand me. I am not knocking this 'thing' as a whole. I do think those in pentecostal circles get carried away with it. IF 'slain in the Spirit' happens that often then I would think more people would be getting closer to God as a result and a revival would break out. After all, Pentecostals teach that the reason why this happens is that God overwhelms a person. Well, this should mean it drives a person to repentance and weep over their sin. Most times that I see it people are down as if asleep for a given period of time and then they get up again. I don't ever hear alot of God encounters through it.

I think things like this probably happen more in the prayer closet where a person is more serious about God rather than feeling as if they are being watched.

2012/1/26 16:01Profile

Re:

Quote:
Oh really? Is being slain in the Spirit represented anywhere in the Bible? A simple "yes" or no should suffice.

As being defended here and presented in hyper-pentacostal circles?

"No".

And the verse in 2 Chronicles says nothing of the priests toppling over. In fact the Hebrew word עמד, doesn't only mean to stand as in stand up, it has other meanings as well, which can be seen if you look at that verse in other translations or if you just translate the Hebrew word itself. It can also be translated as "were unable to/could not continue because of the cloud".

Again, it says nothing of them toppling over on their back, and being in some sort of trance like state.

2012/1/26 19:38

Re:

"Is one of the fruits of the Spirit self control, or is it not?

Self control no!

Self control denotes ME doing the controlling.

The Fruit of the Spirit is God's fruit, not mine.

The same as the Gifts of the Spirit, they are not mine, they are His.

The Fruit and the Gifts operate by His Spirit working through us, not we it.

Therefore it's His Self Control or Temperance expressing Himself out by His Spirit.

As for falling backward or forward, I have to say, these questions remind me of the Pharisees asking the man whom Jesus put mud on his eyes and went to be washed and came again seeing, the Pharisees asking the same questions over and over, "how did He do it". They couldn't get beyond the application to which God used, while everyone around them was worshipping God, they were scratching their heads. They couldn't see the Holy Spirit working.

The same thing is happening here. When people get a touch from God, instead of seeing the blessing of what these people have gotten, the doubters are standing around demanding to know where it is in the bible about slaying in the Spirit.

Where was it in scripture in the time of Jesus that a man took mud and put it on a blind man's eyes and that man came back seeing?

Can't God do something new? Are we that stiff necked?

I know people that didn't have two nickels to rub together praying over the only jalopy they owned and asking God to keep the thing running and God would.

That car is not in the bible, but faith is and it says that if we ask ANYTHING in His name.

When God touches us by the supernatural hand of God, you can't stay standing, the power of God causes one to fall down,, whether forward or backward it makes no never mind, it's not the falling, it's not in what happens that way, it's what God is doing in them. That is what people are missing.

And further, I find it a complete waste of time talking about these subjects to those that reject that God can speak through His people by the gifts of the Spirit and work through His people by the power of God. To those people that reject it, they demand order, they demand these things yet don't experience any of them in their own lives nor in their congregation. Why talk about having those things decently and in order when they don't believe in the thing they require to be in order? Sheer ludicrous.

2012/1/26 20:13
learjet

Re:

Hi EverestoSama,

She asked you a simple question "is it in the bible" not "is it in the bible as presented in hyper-pentacostal circles", your changing of the question back and forth is very telling. If you don't know the answer just say 'I don't know', no crime there. Why is it when given evidence of it 'in the bible' you go to the Hebrew to find a definition that fits your agenda rather than looking at the scripture as its written?

The verse in 2 Chronicles 5 is in context and means exactly what it says. The priest COULD NOT STAND to do their duties because of the glory of the Lord. Since there is no description of which way they 'fell over' or the positions of their bodies on the ground, we'll never know until we get to glory. I guess there's 50/50 chance that they were on their fronts or backs though when you look at the statistics associated with it (heads or tails)... LOL, I kill me :-)

Just because some kook on the television abuses something doesn't mean that it's not an legitimate manifestation backed up in the scripture. As I've pointed out twice and others have pointed out as well, there are documented accounts of this happening in Wesley's, Whitfield's and John Wesley Redfield's ministries, these men weren't kooks. Wonder if these folks were all on their fronts or backs? There was 1800 of them at one of John Wesley Redfield's meetings.

2012/1/26 20:52Profile

Re:

Quote:
She asked you a simple question "is it in the bible" not "is it in the bible as presented in hyper-pentacostal circles", your changing of the question back and forth is very telling. If you don't know the answer just say 'I don't know', no crime there. Why is it when given evidence of it 'in the bible' you go to the Hebrew to find a definition that fits your agenda rather than looking at the scripture as its written?

What version are you looking at? Not all versions translate it that way. I would hope you would go to the original language if a few translations state it differently.

And I didn't change her question. I was defining the question by replying in that fashion. I mean, Ananaias and Sapphira were slain in the Spirit (which is the only kind I do believe in), yet that's not what we're talking about. It's best we're clear on what's being said, lest we're saying two separate things. And I'll stand on my initial point. The type of being "slain in the Spirit" that is being defended cannot be found in Scripture spoken of in a positive light.

And the position is rather important. Falling forward always seems to denote (when mentioned in places like Daniel and Revelation) that it's submitting ones self in reverence, humbling yourself and being unworthy to hold your head high or even stand in the presence of God. Notice that all the references given to those being knocked over backwards (Paul being thrown off of his horse, the soldiers being repelled backwards at Jesus's voice, men being knocked over when coming to listen to Wesley and Redfield, etc.) were against the UNGODLY and UNREGENERATE, not towards the children of God. Very telling if anything.

The other position denotes being overcome with something, losing ones balance, and then toppling over. I find that Scripture's lack of mentioning this to be highly suspicious. And to say that "cars, toasters and microwaves aren't in the Bible" is a straw man argument that holds no bearing contextually in what's being said.

Nonetheless, I guess I've said all I can say. God bless, those who read this thread.

2012/1/26 21:06

Re:

"And to say that "cars, toasters and microwaves aren't in the Bible" is a straw man argument that holds no bearing contextually in what's being said."

In the context that I was writing it, it is very much contextual. Those who are of likemindedness will completely understand what I was saying and it's to them that I address it.

"And the position is rather important. Falling forward always seems to denote (when mentioned in places like Daniel and Revelation) that it's submitting ones self in reverence, humbling yourself and being unworthy to hold your head high or even stand in the presence of God."

It's unimportant because it doesn't matter what position the flesh is in, it's how the heart is postitioned. You and I can stand on our heads and or dangle off a bungee cord and still be humble before God. It's not the position, it's not the carcase, it doesn't matter if we are on our belly or our backs, God is looking upon the heart.

It's not important how the body reacts to healing, or a miracle. (depending on the healing, it could be a leg being restored so in that case that is important because it's dealing with flesh in those instances). When the heart is moved, tears flow. The tears are not what is important, it's the heart that is being moved. That is what Jesus was getting at in His ministry. It's not what is being done in the flesh that counts but what is going on in the heart. "Man looketh upon the outward appearance but God looketh upon the heart".

Just thinking about this post, I must say, I am so glad that God brought me out to the deep waters and just plunged in and just believed that the same God that filled the Apostles and the early Church with His Spirit and power and the gifts and having the mind changed not by my intellectual understanding of the scriptures but teaching by revelation and installing new software as He wills. To those of you who believe that the power and the gifts died out with the Apostles, I feel very sorry for you. The kingdom of God is only in how you perceive it and not by experience. For the Kingdom of God is the Holy Ghost.

Sad, very sad.

2012/1/26 22:46

Re:

So far I don't think anyone has be saying that the gifts are no longer in operation on this thread. The detractors are just wishing for the gifts to operate Scripturally, and for things that are not outlined as such, not to be confused as such.

2012/1/26 23:16
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Ah oh.... The super "triple dog dare" pharisee accusation word was thrown out in this conversation. Now we've done it. Those darn Bible people...

On a side note, I am making a 4-meat Red Baron's Pizza. I missed breakfast, lunch and dinner today. Time for a midnight dinner!

2012/1/26 23:26Profile

Re:

Quote:
On a side note, I am making a 4-meat Red Baron's Pizza. I missed breakfast, lunch and dinner today. Time for a midnight dinner!

Sounds good. I'm about to make an instant Japanese noodle dish called yakisoba myself. They don't make anything like Red Baron here unfortunately. :(

2012/1/26 23:49
brothagary

Re:

how dare you i dont see noodles or piza mentioned in the bible its all demonic i tell you ,,,,lol

2012/1/27 2:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy