SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is Christian Fundamentalism Really All That Bad?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: hoohoou

Thank you brother for your honest words.

God bless,
Lisa

2012/1/24 14:22Profile

Re:

Quote:
He didn't say go preach at them.

Well, actually He did (thru Paul). You are wrong.

Romans 10:14-17 "How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone PREACHING? And how are they to PREACH unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who PREACH the good news!” But they have not all obeyed the gospel. For Isaiah says, “Lord, who has believed what he has heard from us?” So faith comes from HEARING, and HEARING through the word of Christ."

Then you go on to describe (mischaracterize) people who go out and street preach and take the gospel to the masses. Do some do it in a manner that I disagree with? Yes! But most do not, most are being OBEDIENT.

You criticize those who take the gospel and preach it to the masses at large... I wonder what you think of Ezekiel in the OT? Or Elijah... today's preachers who go to the masses are TAME by comparison.

Look at how Paul stood in the middle of Athens and addressed the people there. His sermon is recorded in Acts for all of us to read. Stephen preached on and on before he was killed. The book of Acts is full of public sermons that were not delivered in a church... but in the public square. And make no doubt about it... those fellas were PREACHING.

And just like then, today people (religious and heathen alike) mock, ridicule and mischaracterize (i.e. lie about) them.

Krispy

2012/1/24 14:29
brothagary

Re:

parise reidhead ,was a self proclamed fundi ,,

the most listen to serom on this site ,,is a fundamentel sermon ,,ten shekels and a shirt

self defined words is what we have today as jesus is god said

2012/1/24 14:42Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

“If Jesus preached the same message ministers preached today, He would have never been crucified.” - Leonard Ravenhill

2012/1/24 15:08Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Quote:
That, I think, is the biggest problem people have with so-called fundamentalists. That paragraph defines what I think when I think of a fundamental. It's a "You're going to hear this and you're going to like it! I don't care if you don't like it. I told you and now it's your problem" mentality. It is our job to try to get people to understand. That's why it takes all kinds of people to preach the gospel. Some people have a certain way of learning, which God gave them. To reach those you have to speak their language. I'm not talking about watering the gospel message down. I'm talking about bringing a very old book and making it relevant to people today.

Then you have a problem with the Bible itself. What is the 5-fold ministry? Ephesians.

We all have different callings. Some are called to preach At people, as you see in the OT and NT. Example, Jesus preaching AT the pharasee after healing the lame man (John 5 I believe). Others are to be teachers, etc...

Let's stay on target.

2012/1/24 15:14Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, for more than 30 years span i preached and ministered in the french quarter in n.o..we had guys that came in with their turn or burn signs and such and we would watch them and see no results.one day a group of us arthur blessed, leo humphreys , james robison and few other folks scanned the area and picked up quite a few converts to Christ. arthur walked into a strip bar and brought a girl out in hewr costume and a robe that we led to the LOrd ,called her parents, arranged for transportation home.she ended up getting a job at her mothers church znd became the secretary for the church.i have seen hundreds reached with the Love of Jesus but very few reached with the sin centered message. they realize when you tell them that all have sin that they are sinners. if you were to minister in a r.c. church would you point out all the errors in their doctrine or would you preach Jesus? what do you do if you preach Jesus ,you are not a fundy.

2012/1/24 15:39Profile

Re:

Quote:
but very few reached with the sin centered message

So then you do not agree with Ray Comforts emphasis on using the Law as a mirror? How is the gospel good news for fallen man if we do not address sin in our message?

By the way, shrill people with bullhorns and "turn or burn" signs are irritating to me. But I wont judge them over it. I dont think it's the most effective way to present the gospel... but they are doing way more than 98% of "Christians" who are sitting in front of their TV's.

Krispy

2012/1/24 15:55
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Quote:
By the way, shrill people with bullhorns and "turn or burn" signs are irritating to me. But I wont judge them over it. I dont think it's the most effective way to present the gospel... but they are doing way more than 98% of "Christians" who are sitting in front of their TV's.

Well said Krispy

2012/1/24 16:56Profile
PrimaDogma

Re:

Jesus said, "If any man would be my disciple, let him deny himself, take up his cross daily and follow me."

But this sort of religion was never to man's taste, so God gave us fundamentalism instead. Now all you have to do is believe the Bible, and you are a disciple! And God immediately accommodates you by transforming Himself into a gigantic version of Yourself. You can be just as full of yourself as you have always been, because now your will is God's Will, and your opinion becomes God's Word.

If you are a pathologically angry person, you may now vent your anger for the glory of God. Jesus said, "Love your enemies." He did not say you have to love Christians who disagree with your doctrine, which leaves you free to be as spiteful, prideful and abusive as you want to be, as long as the target of your abuse is a religious person.

Jesus is Lord of Heaven and earth, and is no more apt to human control than the wind, the rain or the earthquake; but the Bible is an object that you can control and use as a sculpting tool to fashion God in your own image, and a rod of authority with which to dominate others. None of this self-denial and submission stuff! You can even name yourself "The Bible Answer Man", go on the radio and convert dogma into cash.

Clearly fundamentalism is far more user-friendly than Christianity.

2012/1/24 18:09Profile
Compton

Re:

Starbucks, in order to expand their market to coffee buyers who don't like big successful brand corporations, has been recently experimenting with "de-branding" some of their coffee shops. The idea is to make the coffee shops look like independent small businesses that are not part of the second largest fast food franchise in the world. The ploy almost works until people find out...and then it just looks insincere.

Recently, a controversial video in which a young man raps as to "Why he hates religion, but loves Jesus," has gained popularity on the internet. As is the case with Starbucks, his attempt at de-branding has provoked mixed reactions.

I think the problem isn't the problem we think it is! ;)It isn't religion, or the church, or fundamentalism, or doctrine. It isn't that some take the bible too seriously or literally, or that some preach too hard or too culturally.

The real issue is simple hypocrisy. The things we rail against have become associated with hypocrisy, and that is why we want to throw these things out.

But we need to be careful, because eventually we will just end up throwing out everything we say we believe. As James demonstrates, let's not curse religion, but remember what true religion is. Even the "Jesus Only" crowd can't survive being branded as hypocrites.

As for me, I don't think de-branding will ultimately work. It won't work because we can't simply tell people what we are not like or what we don't believe, or who we don't associate with. Without something to replace these deletions, people won't have any new perception to replace the old. We can tell people we don't follow religion, or the bible, or man's teachings...but as soon as we tell them we follow Jesus, they'll know we do indeed adhere to religion, the bible, and even some man's teaching. We aren't going to fool very many people saying that all of our beliefs have come directly and exclusively to us from heaven...so why do we try to de-brand?

We try because were embarrassed at all of the things being done by people claiming to be Christians in public. But Christians didn't have very good reputations in the first century either. In some historical documents, the earliest Christians were accused of things like drinking blood, and even sexually perverse activities.

Yet, even with all of this baggage, I don't bother to tell people I'm not a fundamentalist, or that I follow Jesus rather then the bible...why don't I bother?

Because I know that I believe in something that is so outrageously far out of line with modern scientific materialism, the governing mythos of our culture...that there is no de-branding strategy in the world that is going to make me culturally relevant. I can say I"m not a fundamentalist, but once I say I believe not just some spiritual ideas, but in a historical event...that the Son of God became a historical man, actually historically died for my sins, and historically rose from the dead...

...well the gig is up. I'm a card carrying fundie. Hey I didn't say I like it, but that's the deal. If you are a bible believing Christian in our age of evidentualism, people are simply going to think you are irrational and uneducated. They may even think you are insincere.

MC

2012/1/24 18:19Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy