SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Christianity magazine defends Driscoll interview

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
notlongnow

Re:

Lysa,

I cannot even begin to expan on what a twisting of scripture you just did. Jesus was talking about judging righteously, not saying we are never allowed to judge a man or matter. That would be virtually impossible. We must all discern on a daily basis to simply survive.

Please also read 1 Corinthians 5:12-13;

"What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. Expel the wicked man from among you."

Clearly Paul is saying we must judge those who claim to be followers of Christ, yet are continuing in a sin and are not repenting.

Mark Driscoll is claiming to be a representative of Christ and yet is clearly being vulgar and crass on a regular basis, worst of all, he uses Gods Word to do it.

I simply have no more time to go on about something that is so clearly wrong and blasphemous.

And for the record, I am a sister, not a brother, younger than Mark Driscoll himself, and still incredibly sickened by his words. Perhaps you should not assume I am a senior aged man who is not with the times.

I no longer want to spend any more of my time replying to people willing to defend a man who says the things Mark does.

2012/1/19 10:52Profile

Re:

Notlongnow,

Unfortunately you're going to be in a bit of an uphill battle around these parts, as the Word of God in it's completeness is not always held as the first standard for judging (righteously) on these forums.

It hasn't always been like this, yet it's sadly moving more and more that way.

2012/1/19 11:07
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: notlongnow

Quote:
notlongnow wrote:
I cannot even begin to expan on what a twisting of scripture you just did. Jesus was talking about judging righteously, not saying we are never allowed to judge a man or matter. That would be virtually impossible. We must all discern on a daily basis to simply survive.

Sister, there is a difference between discerning and judging which you have done and posted it for the 'world' to see.

The word clearly says, "For IN THE SAME WAY you judge others, you will be judged..." That means in attitude and in careless disregard for someone's walk in Christ... it will come home to visit you someday. Look, I don't want to alienate you, but it would behoove you to realize this sooner rather than later.

And in all of your aggravation towards me, you didn't answer my question...
Quote:

I have found that those who oppose a certain preacher the strongest usually get all their fuel for their rants from heresy, (i.e. they have not listened to the first sermon). Is that true with you? Have you "listened" to one of Driscoll's sermons?

God bless you sister,
Lisa

2012/1/19 11:08Profile
notlongnow

Re:

EveresttoSama, yes, sadly I am rapidly finding that to be the case. Thankyou for confirming that to me.

Lysa I disagree with your interpretation of scripture.

As for not answering you question, I really didn't understand how not listening to a full sermon of Mark Driscoll's and heresy are somehow related.

Again, I can't really go anywhere with this discussion when the Word of God on the whole issue is clear but not being heeded.

2012/1/19 11:15Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, the greek word krino is the word to judge that is forbidden by God...it means to sit in judgement diakrino is also the english word judge and it is not forbidden for it is the word discern or weigh..the word anakrino is lighter than diakrino and it is also permitted.it is like think about it.krino is also the word translated condemnation or condemn.when the apostles said that fire should fall from heaven and harm someone ,Jesus quickly responded with ...shut up for you do not know what spirit you are speaking to or from. oh, the sons of thunder and us.jimp it can be easy ... is what you are saying about someone like mark stemming from the accuser of the brethren or Jesus.

2012/1/19 12:27Profile

Re: Christianity magazine defends Driscoll interview

My take on Driscoll is one of self promoting egotism, with very little of New Testament Christianity shining through. He seems to thrive, as your typical media shock-Jock usually does...promoting radical confrontation in the name of being real, to expose the hypocrisy of the ne'r-do-wells....and to shock the masses with his courageous endorsement of some rather odd liberties.

He seems to look upon himself as the brave "good Bible teacher", who is obviously "known across America"...[vs: Britain ]...and often champions strange ideas, like Rock concerts in Church...Just a few minor problems in the secular music ministry:

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34238&forum=35&8

“In its first few years, the Paradox [a secular music ministry of Driscoll’s church] hosted about 650 concerts for about 65,000 kids. We have had only a few minor problems, like the Japanese punk band that got naked during their set for no apparent reason and another band that set off fireworks during their show.” (Confessions, p.127)

and...
No position on stealing?

“Our church services started to stink a whole lot less. We scraped together enough money to buy some big honking speakers, and I stole an unused sound console from my old church along with a projection screen, which were sins that Jesus thankfully died to forgive.” (Confessions, p.62)

and....Driscoll’s R-rated sermons on sex:

“Some of the sermons on sex were R-rated, and we gave warnings to parents and sometimes saw whole visiting youth groups walk out blushing halfway through the sermon. On other occasions, people walked out during the sermon and flipped me off on their way out, a trend that has continued.” (Confessions, p.134)

and...A passion for “cool?”

“I had grown facial hair, started cussing again (I had stopped for about fifteen minutes after I got saved), and briefly considered taking up smoking but had asthma, which kept me from achieving my full cool potential.” (Confessions, p.50)

and....Abraham: “a cowardly old man?”

“As time rolls along, God also works through a cowardly old man named Abraham, who is happy to whore out his loving and beautiful antique of a wife to avoid conflict.” (Radical Reformission, p.28)

and...Driscoll speaks of Mary and Joseph:

“And to top it all off, God comes to earth. He has a mom whom everyone thinks is a slut, a dad whom they think has the brilliance of a five-watt bulb for believing the ‘virgin birth’ line, and brothers who likely pummel him frequently, because even God would have to get at least one wedgie from his brothers if he were to be fully human.” (Radical Reformission, p.29)

and.....It is too sick to continue.....but...He may be famous. New-Age "Emergent" vomit.

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=34238&forum=35&8

2012/1/19 13:28
jimp

Re:

hi brothertom,i heard the same things that you wrote and went to his church site and listened for 5 straight hours and what i heard made me a fan in that he explained a lot of his stupid mistakes and preached the gospel with power and truth.he is not for everybody and that is why God has other churches in that town as he does in your town and mine.jimp

2012/1/19 13:45Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Why must we spend so much time debating about this man? Is our Christianity so dull that we get attracted to side shows?

2012/1/19 13:47Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
by KingJimmy
Why must we spend so much time debating about this man? Is our Christianity so dull that we get attracted to side shows?

I am not so much debating about "this man" as I am about Christians so blatantly judging him and in their full peacock pride calling it, "righteous judgment."

God bless,
Lisa

2012/1/19 14:25Profile
DirkW

Netherlands

Re:

Well everybody, don't throw out the baby with the bathwater... yes a wellknown sentence but just don't do it. Spend time to pray instead of criticizing. Bless your "enemies". Let Christ be preached.

2012/1/19 16:51Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy