SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : The Church

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
JT1

The Church

Just wanted to get some of your thoughts out there on who you guys think the Church is? The general idea I usually get is that it's pretty much anyone who believes in Jesus but I have a hard time with that because many believe in a false Jesus. Do you think it's something God only knows and we'll just know them by their fruits with discernment- but there are even non-christians who display good fruits as well. Is it possible we are assuming we are the Church just because we read the bible pray a little and know a few things? I hope not!

2011/12/5 18:01Profile

Re: The Church

Read the book of Ephesians once a day for 30 days. During that time ask him to reveal the truth of that book to you. In a months time you will have your answer.

Blaine Scogin

2011/12/5 18:22
JT1

Re:

Hi Blaine, thanks for your input. I like the idea. Can't count how many times I've read Ephesians, but another read is always good.

I have to think though, we can tell the same thing you just told me to 30 other sincere truth-seekers and they still won't come to the same conclusion. That's why we have so many denominations claiming to have the "right interpretation of scripture". I have to think there's more to the answer.

2011/12/5 19:31Profile
Elibeth

JT1,

Would't the true church be, The 'True body of Christ ?'

Lovingly,
Elizabeth

2011/12/5 19:39Profile

As I understand the book of Ephesians the body, the bride, the church are all the same. The church consist of those who have out their faith in Jesus. He defined a church as small as two or three people in Mat.18. This is the church in its simplistic form as I understand scripture.

Blaine

2011/12/5 19:48
JT1

Re:

Yes, I believe that the Church is the "True Body of Christ". I guess for me the question then becomes, "who is part of the true Body of Christ?"

Thanks,

JT

2011/12/5 20:17Profile
JT1

Re:

Blaine, I think I see what you're saying. In light of Mat. 18, are you sure this is speaking of anyone who gathers in His name? It seems He's talking to the Apostles specifically in this passage.

2011/12/5 20:23Profile
sonsigns

Brumley Missouri

JT1, The Church is you. The Church is Me. The true Church of Jesus Christ are those individuals that accept and confess Jesus Christ as there Lord and Savior.

The true church will follow 1John Chapters 1&2.

It is not our place to judge others in there walk with the Lord for we all must work out our salvation day by day.

So, in a way, God, is the only one that really knows. However, he has given us the Holy Spirit. And through the Holy Spirit we are able to discern others by there fruits.

Without much study and time this is my best answer for now. Talk with your pastor and really listen to what others here on the forums have to say.

god bless my friend.

2011/12/5 21:27Profile
JT1

Re:

Hi sonsigns, thanks for your comments. I agree that we shouldn't judge others in there walks with the Lord.

If I get down to specifics, there are many who say Jesus Christ is their Lord and Savior- for example, Mormons, Jehovah's Witness, Seventh Day Adventist, Oneness Pentecostal. So are they considered the Church as well?

God bless you too.

2011/12/5 22:48Profile
dietolive

Re: JT1

Hi JT1! Nice to "meet" you.

The true Church believes the true Gospel:

"Moreover, brethren, I declare unto you the gospel which I preached unto you, which also ye have received, and wherein ye stand;
By which also ye are saved, if ye keep in memory what I preached unto you, unless ye have believed in vain.
For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died DIED FOR OUR SINS according to the scriptures;
And that he was buried, and that HE ROSE AGAIN the third day according to the scriptures..." I Corinthians 15:1-4

The true Church declares it with their mouths as well:

"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." Romans 10:9-10

The true Church believes that Jesus Christ is truly God:

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:1

"And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory." I Timothy 3:16

There are more Scriptures of course, but so far... the Mormons and the Jehovah's Witnesses wouldn't pass these tests.

Be well,
Doug

2011/12/5 23:34Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy