SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Seventh-day Adventist??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Dawn10379

Seventh-day Adventist??

Hello, I am trying to find out some information on the Seventh-day Adventists. I can't find a spot to search so I am hoping someone here will have some insight..

2011/10/22 22:19Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Seventh-day Adventist??

There is a website called "CARM" and if I remember correct there was some decent information there.

2011/10/22 22:27Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Just do a Google search on the word 'exadventist', you will find some help...

In Christ,

Ron

2011/10/22 22:51Profile
savannah

Dawn10379 wrote,

"Hello, I am trying to find out some information on the Seventh-day Adventists."

For some information go to the following website:

http://www.lifeassuranceministries.com
http://www.lifeassuranceministries.com/Dalebio.html

You may also be interested in: Seventh-day Adventism: The Spirit Behind the Church (DVD) Click the following link:

http://www.monergismbooks.com/Seventh-day-Adventism-The-Spirit-Behind-the-Church-DVD-p-16715.html

I hope you'll find some insight on Seventh Day Adventism at the above links.

2011/10/22 23:07Profile
Dawn10379

Re:

Thank you all so much! I will check all of those now.

2011/10/23 0:31Profile
Dawn10379

Should Christians Observe the Seventh Day Sabbath? - Dr. Michael Brown

Hello all. I would like to post an article by Dr. Michael Brown regarding Christians and the observance of the Sabbath for all who are interested. I don't mean to stir anything up but my husband and I have been confronted by a co-worker of his about this issue and it has prompted me to dig for Biblical answers to his accusations.

Should Christians Observe the Seventh Day Sabbath?

Are followers of Jesus—speaking in particular of Gentile followers of the Lord—required to keep the Sabbath? And if so, should it be on Saturday, as originally given, or on Sunday, as it has been observed through much of church history? Is it more scriptural simply to set aside any one day as holy to the Lord, a day to rest from normal work? Or is this a completely wrong approach to the Sabbath question for a Christian, since in Jesus, every day is holy to the Lord and we have already entered into rest from our labors?

Here are some key points for consideration:

(1) The seventh-day Sabbath was sanctified at creation and, according to the prophetic Scriptures, it will be part of the future age. Normally, when we think of the Sabbath, we think of the Ten Commandments, but in reality, the Sabbath was sanctified at creation (see Genesis 2:2-3), although there is no command associated with it at that time, and the creation account forms the basis for the command to observe the Sabbath in Exodus 20:11: “For in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, the sea, and all that is in them, but he rested on the seventh day. Therefore the Lord blessed the Sabbath day and made it holy.”

But these words in Exodus 20, spoken by the Lord at Mount Sinai, do not represent the first time that God spoke to Israel about the Sabbath. This took place in Exodus 16, before the Israelites arrived at Sinai, when God commanded His people not to gather manna on the seventh day (see Exodus 16:22-26).

So then, the Sabbath was established at creation and then given to the Israelites before Sinai, then commanded again at Sinai, and, according to Isaiah, it appears that the Sabbath will continue in the world to come:

“As the new heavens and the new earth that I make will endure before me,” declares the Lord, “so will your name and descendants endure. From one New Moon to another and from one Sabbath to another, all mankind will come and bow down before me,” says the Lord (Isaiah 66:22-23).

In any case, it can be stated clearly that in the Hebrew Bible, the Sabbath precedes Mount Sinai and continues into the age to come.

(2) The seventh-day Sabbath was given as a special sign between God and Israel. According to Exodus 31:17, God said that the Sabbath was to be “a sign between me and the Israelites forever, for in six days the Lord made the heavens and the earth, and on the seventh day he abstained from work and rested.” He reiterated this centuries later through the prophet Ezekiel: “I gave them my Sabbaths as a sign between us. . . . Keep my Sabbaths holy, that they may be a sign between us” (Ezekiel 20:12, 20).

God did not call any other nation to observe the Sabbath, although he did open the door for Gentiles to join themselves to His covenant with Israel in Isaiah 56:4-7, which is addressed to “the eunuchs who keep my Sabbaths.” So, the door was open for the Gentiles to enter into Israel’s covenant, but the specific covenantal, seventh-day Sabbath sign was given exclusively to the people of Israel.

(3) In the New Testament, Gentile believers are never called or required to observe the seventh-day Sabbath, and they become full-citizens along with Israel without having to observe the full requirements of the Law.

It is true that many of the first Gentile believers were actually “God-fearers” who heard the message of the Gospel in synagogues (see Acts 13:26; 17:4, 17), and they would have been familiar with the seventh-day Sabbath. In fact, they would have heard Paul preaching on the Sabbath. Nonetheless, the verdict of Acts 15 was clear: Gentile believers were not required to observe all the Torah laws.

(4) There is no biblical support for the view that after the resurrection of Jesus, the Sabbath was changed to Sunday. There is some evidence that as early as the late first or early second century, believers gathered before or after work on Sundays to celebrate the Lord’s resurrection, but this was not related to the concept of the Sabbath, and strong arguments can be made against the Sabbath being changed to Sunday within the New Testament itself. It was not until the fourth century that the church formally declared that the Sabbath had been moved to Sunday, with the question begging to be asked, “By what authority did you do this?”

(5) On the other hand, since God never commanded Gentile believers to observe the seventh-day Sabbath—it is simply not stated in the New Testament—there is no reason why they cannot set Sunday aside as a special day of rest and worship for the Lord, thereby incorporating the principle of Sabbath into their lives. To the extent that Christians feel led to set aside Sunday as their Sabbath, there is nothing wrong with doing so, as long as they realize that they cannot judge others who do not share this conviction (see especially Romans 14).

(6) The Sabbath should be set aside as a day of delight in the Lord. This was clearly stated by the Lord in Isaiah 58:13-14, and Jesus also taught that “the Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath” (Mark 2:27). This means that however this day is observed, it should be done with joy and gladness, truly honoring the Lord and truly bringing liberation to others. In keeping with this, Jesus frequently healed the sick on the Sabbath.

(7) Our ultimate rest is found in a Person, not a day, so Sabbath observance should be both spiritual and practical. It is clear that God set up a system of weekly renewal in which we would rest from our daily labors and focus on Him. On a certain level, through the work of the Messiah, we have entered into a perpetual rest from our own labors (see Matthew 11:28-30; Romans 4:4-5; Hebrews 4:9-11). On another level, the demands and distractions of this life are ever upon us, so it is good to slow down and turn aside from these things every week, at the same time directing our attention to the Lord to find renewal in Him.

Some of these same principles apply to Jewish believers, but we must remember that the seventh-day Sabbath was given as a special sign to Israel, and in keeping with that, it is especially appropriate for Messianic Jews to observe the seventh-day Sabbath, also worshiping as congregations on that day as well. Nonetheless, as we have stressed, this is a matter of conviction and calling, and other Jewish believers may sense a different calling and responsibility in the Lord, part of their being all things to all men so as to save some (1 Corinthians 9:20-22) and part of their liberty in the Lord. In that respect, we must always remember that, with the coming of the Messiah into the world, our relationship to the Torah was radically changed as well, and that includes our relationship to the Sabbath.

http://askdrbrown.org/ask-dr-brown/35-ask-dr-brown/76-should-christians-observe-the-seventh-day-sabbath

Hope this comes as some use and encouragement!

Blessings!

2011/11/16 17:39Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: Should Christians Observe the Seventh Day Sabbath? - Dr. Michael Brown

This is a very adversarial subject. But, I could not let this one go.

Quote; """, it is especially appropriate for Messianic Jews to observe the seventh-day Sabbath, also worshiping"""

I thought there was no Jew or Gentile in Christ, you might be called a Messianic Jew in this world by man, there is no such thing in Christ, ones worldly birth place has nothing to do with those that are in Christ Jesus, in whom now He is the one and only true Sabbath and Rest we can enter. Our only Rest. Hebrews 4:5-12 And in this place again, If they shall enter into my rest. Seeing therefore it remaineth that some must enter therein, and they to whom it was first preached entered not in because of unbelief: Again, he limiteth a certain day, saying in David, To day, after so long a time; as it is said, To day if ye will hear his voice, harden not your hearts. For if Jesus had given them rest, then would he not afterward have spoken of another day. There remaineth therefore a rest to the people of God. For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from his. Let us labour therefore to enter into that rest, lest any man fall after the same example of unbelief. For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

This dividing asunder the soul and spirit is the complete answer to who the Sabbath is; The Spirit is our complete Rest, for that is who we are born again into, this dividing of soul and spirit shows that we are perfect in Christs Spirit and His Cross, "It is finished" as God finished His work on the seventh day, so do we enter His rest in Christ Jesus when His work was finished, whom is now our Sabbath, remember: "Do this in remembrance of me", the Bread of Life and life saving Blood by faith in Spirit. We were not saved in our soul and body, we were only saved in spirit By the Spirit of Christ being given us at the moment of salvation. John 3:4-8 Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again. The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

Joh 3:3 Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
1Pe 1:23 Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.

Our Soul/mind is being renewed to this truth and the Mind of Christ and in our minds is where the war is, and where our love affair with God is being worked on, "We love Him because He first loved us" and gave His body and soul that we might be saved by His Spirit and being saved by His promised Holy Spirit teaching us these truths and will be saved in body on resurrection day, by it from death of the body or changing in the twinkling of an eye, Then complete, Saved in Christ, Spirit, Soul and Body, the complete new creature, which we are now only part of, in Spirit, by His Spirit that dwelleth in us, we are perfect before the Father, whom will not trust in me to complete so great a salvation, but depend upon the only One who has proven that He can accomplish and finish my salvation.

In Christ, thank God: Phillip

2011/11/16 21:13Profile

Hello Dawn10379, May the peace of Yahweh be with you.

I am so joyous that our Heavenly Father has blessed you with this knowledge. This is a very touchy subject that most Christians don't wanna hear. But it is the truth and you made your points very well. The fourth commandment is the most important command given to mankind. It is indeed a sign that Identifies whom you belong to. Yahweh created and blessed the Sabbath. Sunday worship was instituted by man. Constantine, the Roman emperor, changed the Laws of Yahweh and instituted Sunday worship. Anyone who would not follow his new laws would suffer the death penalty. This is scriptural and a historical fact.

Please, please, please, do not search for the Seventh-Day Adventist as some has suggested, salvation is not there. Going to church on Saturday and keeping the Sabbath is two different things.

The answer is found in Deuteronomy 12:5
"But you are to seek the habitation of your father; the place which Yahweh your father shall choose out of all your tribes TO ESTABLISH HIS NAME and there YOU MUST GO.

The keyword there is SEEK - that means it's not easy to find, but you are directed to seek it.

2011/11/16 21:25
myallinall

Wisconsin

Re:

Dear Dawn,

I recently posted a similar question-see Revival and Church History. I received many interesting and thought provoking answers to my question about the Fourth Commandment. I didn't realize there was such controversy about one of God's commandments. What I decided is that I had to shut off all external voices(those of men) and seek the Lord in His word, on my knees and ask the Holy Spirit to speak to me and to lead me into all truth. I have my own convictions on where I stand now which I won't share here(I totally avoid controversy). I don't think it accomplishes anything except grieving the Holy Spirit. I agree with Monnkz, don't search for truth in a denomination. Search the scriptures. God bless you dear sister. May the Lord lead you into all truth and may you abound more and more in His love, Lori

2011/11/16 22:51Profile

Re:

Because Monnkz saw an opportunity to bring his anti-Grace doctrines to this discussion I must refrain from getting into this discussion... but everyone needs to have their LEGALISM radar up when discussinng the Seventh Day Adventist Church... and when conversing with Monnkz. The moderators have already warned him. If he is agreeing with your posts, then you better check where you stand.

Krispy

2011/11/17 5:25

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy