Discussion Forum : General Topics : Relativism among Professing Christians

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

O Wow,

You know Mark Greening's mother. Yes she is a prayer warrior alright! Every time I talk to her, she's got many encouraging stories and what the LORD has done in her life. She keeps telling me, "STOP STRIVING MICHAEL!" Haha....

Yes my flesh can easily try to strive too much, instead of resting on Christ. God help us all...

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2011/10/4 11:41Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Relativism among Professing Christians

Quote:
MichaelLiao wrote:
Maybe I should've been more specific about my story with my family. It's not that I go off firing off Scripture at my parents or family. It's just that they try to prevent me from gathering with other brethren especially at my church. And during the summer my dad tried to threaten me by saying, "If you continue down this road, I'm going to sell the house and go back to China!" Which was absolutely traumatizing....I know in Timothy it says that a person who neglects the family is worse than an unbeliever. And yes, I do try my best to honor my parents, yet of course if my parents get me to sin, then I must do otherwise.

I did not know that you were Asian, so I’m sorry. I do not know what growing up in an Asian household or community is like, but from friends I know your families are tight. Only you know how to handle your family and be honorable doing it.

I must ask, do you honestly think that your father would sell his house and move back to communist China? Is he THAT stubborn? That would be true manipulation!! But even if he is that stubborn, would you really have to move to China with him if he did? Try to think this through completely so that when he throws that scenario up to you, the effect isn’t so traumatizing.

I’ll be praying for you and your family.
God bless you,
Lisa

2011/10/4 11:51Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Michael: I am not sure I can give you any advice about how to handle the situation at home. I believe you should honor your parents even if they are not believers. Of course the line must be drawn where your parents would ask you to do that which violates your relationship with God. I am also not sure how old you are. If you are still of age that you are submitted to your parents in the home you probably should continue to obey them. Meet with brothers as often as possible, pray for your parents, but if they forbid a meeting then find another way to communicate and be strengthened. Press into the Lord yourself. If you are of adult age then in my opinion you should honor them in that you love them, respect them, and care for them but you are not obligated any longer to obey them. Their choice to move here or there is their own choice and should not be used as a lever to try to manipulate you.

As to the issue of relativism I think we have all noticed this and know its dangers. Some scriptures may have varied application, but not varied interpretation. I believe that there is only one way to interpret scripture. I also believe that as a human I and others as well miss it many times. This is why we need humility toward our brothers. We need to take doctrinal or interpretive differences to the Lord in prayer, to one another in humility and try to work out what God is saying about that scripture. We will never get it totally right, but we cannot adopt the view that we each have our private interpretation and that is good enough. That is a sure way to fall into error.

2011/10/4 15:51Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

QUOTE:
and their response to you is, "Well, that is your interpretation of the Bible!"

Yes, I have experienced it AND it just about drives me crazy because I know you have moved from the realm of allowing the context to teach you to the context of opinion! I always feel so helpless when this happens!

2011/10/4 17:22Profile
beekpr

Re:

Thanks, Michael for sharing about the persecution that you receive from your family for you being a believer. That clarifies things for us who read the thread. It is the responsibility of us on the forum to be in prayer on your behalf that God would give you special strength to be true to Him and His Spirit's wisdom to know how to respond to them. Do not hesitate to continue to ask for prayer as needs arise. Now we as believers are the new family God has given you.
As for "relativism" - that is the bane of professing Christians in the western world - we approach the Bible as we would a salad bar and take what we like and ignore the rest. God will surely judge us for this flagrant disregard for His Word. Bravo, Michael, for taking the Bible at face value. This is the way to experience His blessing upon your life and make your "calling and election sure" as the scripture says! Keep on being strong for Him!

2011/10/4 20:21Profile
MichaelLiao

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

Well thank God he did not leave and go back to China, but if he did, he did say he would take my mother with him and just leave me behind. Basically he said it's not worth raising a son like me and that I wasted 20 years of his life.

But, whether it is relativism or my parents I have to deal with, what I need is to constantly be in the Love of Christ for these things. May God shed abroad more of His love into my heart, to prevent me from being haughty before Him, and to serve Him with love and reverence.

In Christ,

- Michael Liao

2011/10/5 15:13Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy