SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Divided

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Creation7

Divided

Has anyone watched the controversial new documentary/film "Divided"? If so, what are your thoughts?

2011/9/25 21:23Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: Divided

http://dividedthemovie.com/

I have not seen the documentary but I did watch the trailer. I thought that the trailer made some pretty valid points about the youth ministries out there today. It reminded me of watching a Paul Washer video last year or the year before and he stated that the were worldly!!! He was the first one I heard come out and say that publically!

God bless,
Lisa

2011/9/26 0:04Profile

Re:

Wow Lysa, I just realized you're in East Tn. We're probably less than two hours apart. Are you near Knoxville or Johnson City?

I dont know anything about this film... more info please.

Krispy

2011/9/26 7:14
Creation7

Re: more info please.

WAKE FOREST, NC, September 6, 2011 — On its rise to 100,000 online views, the film Divided, a documentary that raises probing questions about dangers associated with modern youth ministry, has been thrown out of a major conference and barred from advertising in major Christian publications. Divided has gone viral since being released as a free download at www.dividedthemovie.com, generating enormous response.

The film’s message — that churches should follow the Bible’s pattern of ministering to young people, not disregard it — has been deemed as too controversial by organizers of the D6 Conference, prompting them to disinvite the film’s co-producer — the National Center for Family Integrated Churches (NCFIC) — from attending its annual family ministry event to be held in Dallas, TX on September 21-23.
In response to this development, Scott Brown, the Director of the NCFIC, stated, “The decision of the D6 leadership to blacklist us from attending their event is remarkable. The stated purpose of the D6 conference is to explore biblical discipleship solutions that address the mass epidemic off today’s youth leaving the church and abandoning the faith. This is precisely what our film Divided does.
“We maintain that the tried and true patterns of Scripture regarding youth ministry are the answer to this dilemma,” explained Brown, “Yet for urging churches to set aside the world’s broken solution of family-fragmenting worship, discipleship and evangelism, in favor of the Scripture’s clear teaching on age-integrated ministry, we’ve been banned. It’s as if they’re saying, ‘God’s Word is not welcome as the final say on this issue.’”
Ron Hunter, executive director and CEO of Randall House, the sponsor of D6, overturned the NCFIC’s initial acceptance to the conference, stating that the presence of the NCFIC would “cause tension”. In an Aug. 29 letter, Hunter wrote: “The New DVD Divided does not fit the D6 Conference venue, created for sharing conversations about various biblical methods. Bringing together different biblical models requires grace and acceptance, as we share the path of generational discipleship.” Mr. Hunter also stated that the NCFIC is the first group D6 has ever disinvited, even as he admitted that he had not viewed the film before coming to his decision.
Significantly, nearly every organization represented at this conference excludes ideas it does not embrace, yet only the NCFIC was censored for affirming a specific standard. Peter Bradrick, the producer of Divided, pointed out this inconsistency, “Many of the exhibitors say they are advocating the truth. For some reason, only the NCFIC is not allowed to talk about their understanding of truth.”
In a similar move, Christianity Today has forbidden the NCFIC from advertising Divided on their web site. They turned away Divided’s advertising dollars based on the film’s subject matter, stating it was “unbalanced.” Later they ran a harsh movie review of the film on their web site and likened it to “an angry letter to the editor.” They called it “propaganda,” “categorically dangerous,” and “filled with scare tactics.”
Commenting on CT’s decision, NCFIC Director Scott Brown — a pastor who has also written the companion book, A Weed in The Church: How A Culture of Age Segregation is Harming the Younger Generation, Fragmenting the Family and Dividing the Church — observed: “We believe that the Scripture’s teachings are sufficient and timeless; that what Jesus modeled and the Bible outlines regarding youth ministry gives us a template for how Christianity today should be lived out. But the magazine that bears this name appears to have little patience for those who affirm the ‘old paths’, preferring modern trends instead.”
Yet another critic of Divided is popular, neo-reformed blogger Tim Challies. Challies recently dismissed the film in an unfavorable review, counseling his readers to stay away from it. “It’s a destructive message wrapped in a poorly-made documentary. The church would do well to ignore it,” Challies wrote. He lobbed several grenades against the documentary, saying it was “not at all fair,” builds a “case on a cliché,” and is “not only uncharitable but also utterly ridiculous . . . complete and utter nonsense.”
Scott Brown categorizes the criticisms in this way, “What is interesting is that the negative comments can be summed up by ‘you are ugly, your friends are ugly, and you are unbalanced,’ yet they never come in with biblical arguments for their position.”
Doug Phillips, founder of Vision Forum Ministries who briefly appears in Divided, commented on the backlash: “The film’s detractors have sent a clear message to the Church: they will accept virtually anything from evangelicalism, except the position that says that the discipleship of youth should be directed in a family-integrated context, and that the youth-driven “Youth Ministry” is toxic; this position will not be tolerated,” Phillips said.
Brown offered this: “While Divided has been well-received by thousands, the opposition it has garnered illustrates one of the film’s core messages: that the church today has drifted away from Scripture and toward modern culture for her answers.
“The resistance is also understandable when you consider how much money is involved in youth ministry and the whole age-segregated superstructure that undergirds modern church,” remarked Brown, “All you have to do is follow the money. It affects the whole staff configuration, church vision, deployment of church workers, the facilities — nearly everything.”
Scott Brown likened opposition to his organization and scorn toward Divided’s perspective on youth ministry to the conflicts during the Protestant Reformation as the church was embracing “sola scriptura.” “Our message is simple: Trust God’s Word alone; it is sufficient. Sadly, this view is looked on with great suspicion today. Things have gotten pretty bad when a leading Christian magazine and a leading Christian conference simultaneously reject even a discussion of what the Bible clearly teaches!”
The National Center for Family-Integrated Churches (NCFIC) is a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization dedicated to correctly understanding God’s unified vision for church and family, rightly diagnosing the problems that impede this vision, and effectively communicating biblical solutions that rebuild family-affirming churches. For information about the NCFIC and the film Divided: Is Age-Segregated Ministry Multiplying or Dividing the Church, visit online at http://www.ncfic.org/

2011/9/26 8:45Profile

Re:

Quote:
On its rise to 100,000 online views, the film Divided, a documentary that raises probing questions about dangers associated with modern youth ministry, has been thrown out of a major conference and barred from advertising in major Christian publications.

Wow! Sounds like a film worthy of our attention! Thats quite an honor to be kicked out of that conference and banned from major Christian publications. I'm being serious!

There is a movement afoot in America to get back to the Bible, and rest assured... it WILL be opposed by the "church" in America!

Krispy

2011/9/26 9:09
Creation7

Re:

It's free to watch on their website.

http://dividedthemovie.com/

2011/9/26 9:13Profile

Re:

I'm gonna check it out tonight.

Krispy

2011/9/26 9:51
Theophila

Watched the movie.
All i can say is, 'Wow!'
It certainly brought to the fore some of my concerns about children's ministry as a whole.
I've often wondered about children being shuttled off to their own 'service'...
I plan to watch the movie again....hopefully with my DH.

It's certainly worth watching.

2011/9/26 11:49Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

I just started watching it and suddenly noticed (9 min).... Ken Ham! I am reminded of waltern (yes, I'm looking at you waltern!) and the horrible thread topic (old earth/young earth) this caused. Nonetheless, I will finish the movie.

God bless,
Lisa

2011/9/26 13:10Profile
Koheleth

NC

I watched the entire documentary online when it was first released. There is little in the video you can argue with. Most of it is simply the reporting of what is happening. I wholeheartedly agree and am thankful we are part of a church that does not have a youth group. There are many adults in our church, and I will admit there is one adult who reports a positive experience with youth groups, but all of the others agree it dragged them down. We have many people who report their first beer, their first marijuana, their first sexual encounter, their reason for leaving home, their first R-rated movie, their first rock concert, etc. as part of their youth group! Talk about having the exact opposite effect of what they claim to be about. You know, it doesn't really matter how many verses you memorize in youth group or how great the youth pastor is or how much more you learn about the Bible and make "godly" friends if you lose your virginity or start smoking dope or get sucked into running with non-Christians (or running with "Christians" who spend their time doing non-Christian things). Please don't have a tradition-based or memory-based knee-jerk reaction to this post until you think about it or do some further reading into what is really happening. I am thankful that many youth pastors, even before this video came out, saw the error of youth activities and got out. Another great speaker on this topic is Voddie Baucham.

2011/9/26 14:11Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy