SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : god

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread
MaryJane

Re:

by codek on 2011/9/27 13:19:11

MJ

Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

Matthew 19:26

Yes Codek with GOD all things are possible, even helping you over come your unbelief and anger, if you really desire to.

mj

2011/9/27 20:33Profile
savannah

Re: Ecclesiastes 9:4

codek,

HEAR THIS!

...a living dog is better than a dead lion.

codek,

you said,

"yes it about the word and God"

YES, IT IS!

Ecc 9:4 For to him that is joined to all the living there is hope: for a living dog is better than a dead lion.

Solomon, in a fret, had praised the dead more than the living (Ecc 4:2); but here, considering the advantages of life to prepare for death and make sure the hope of a better life, he seems to be of another mind.

I. He shows the advantages which the living have above those that are dead, Ecc 9:4-6.

1. While there is life there is hope.

While I breathe, I hope. It is the privilege of the living that they are joined to the living, in relation, commerce, and conversation, and, while they are so, there is hope.

If a man's condition be, upon any account, bad, there is hope it will be amended. If the heart be full of evil, and madness be in it, yet while there is life there is hope that by the grace of God there may be a blessed change wrought; but after men go to the dead (Ecc 9:3) it is too late then; he that is then filthy will be filthy still, for ever filthy.

If men be thrown aside as useless, yet, while they are joined to the living, there is hope that they may yet again take root and bear fruit; he that is alive is, or may be, good for something, but he that is dead, as to this world, is not capable of being any further serviceable.

Therefore a living dog is better than a dead lion; the meanest beggar alive has that comfort of this world and does that service to it which the greatest prince, when he is dead, is utterly incapable of.

2. While there is life there is an opportunity of preparing for death: The living know that which the dead have no knowledge of, particularly they know that they shall die, and are, or may be, thereby influenced to prepare for that great change which will come certainly, and may come suddenly.

Note, The living cannot but know that they shall die, that they must needs die. They know they are under a sentence of death; they are already taken into custody by its messengers, and feel themselves declining. This is a needful useful knowledge; for what is our business, while we live, but to get ready to die: The living know they shall die; it is a thing yet to come, and therefore provision may be made for it. The dead know they are dead, and it is too late; they are on the other side the great gulf fixed.

3. When life is gone all this world is gone with it, as to us.

1. There is an end of all our acquaintance with this world and the things of it: The dead know not any thing of that which, while they lived, they were intimately conversant with. It does not appear that they know any thing of what is done by those they leave behind. Abraham is ignorant of us; they are removed into darkness, Job_10:22.

2. There is an end of all our enjoyments in this world: They have no more a reward for their toils about the world, but all they got must be left to others; they have a reward for their holy actions, but not for their worldly ones. The meats and the belly will be destroyed together, John 6:27; 1 Cor 6:13.

It is explained Ecc 9:6. Neither have they any more a portion for ever, none of that which they imagined would be a portion for ever, of that which is done and got under the sun. The things of this world will not be a portion for the soul because they will not be a portion for ever; those that choose them, and have them for their good things, have only a portion in this life, Psa_17:14. The world can only be an annuity for life, not a portion for ever.

3. There is an end of their name. There are but few whose names survive them long; the grave is a land of forgetfulness, for the memory of those that are laid there is soon forgotten; their place knows them no more, nor the lands they called by their own names.

4. There is an end of their affections, their friendships and enmities: Their love, and their hatred, and their envy have now perished; the good things they loved, the evil things they hated, the prosperity of others, which they envied, are now all at an end with them. Death parts those that loved one another, and puts an end to their friendship, and those that hated one another too, and puts an end to their quarrels.

The person and his actions die together. There we shall be never the better for our friends (their love can do us no kindness), nor ever the worse for our enemies - their hatred and envy can do us no damage. There the wicked cease from troubling. Those things which now so affect us and fill us, which we are so concerned about and so jealous of, will there be at an end. - Matt H.

Ecc 9:5-10 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten.

Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun.

Go thy way, eat thy bread with joy, and drink thy wine with a merry heart; for God now accepteth thy works.

Let thy garments be always white; and let thy head lack no ointment.

Live joyfully with the wife whom thou lovest all the days of the life of thy vanity, which he hath given thee under the sun, all the days of thy vanity: for that is thy portion in this life, and in thy labour which thou takest under the sun.

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest.

2011/9/28 0:29Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

codek,

From reading your lamentations as posted here on this thread, I suspect you may be harboring some sin you do not want to let go, hence your inability to see God for who and what he is.

Every last person who wants to see God must come to him on his terms, not ours.

God is absolute - he is not some cute, fuzzy teddy bear up in the sky who resorts to the book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" to win people to himself.

There are a lot of things about God I do not understand: why did he choose to take our 25 YO daughter, a victim of glioblastoma, who was a mother of two very young children? I could keep belaboring this question until doomsday and still not know. And who would benefit? Not me. I would be like Paul who was kicking against the pricks - it ouches with every kick! But I chose to leave this question with the LORD, knowing full well He knows something I do not and may never know. But one thing I do know beyond a shadow of a doubt: Regina is with the LORD AND she does not have to deal with the crazy messes we are faced with every day! PRAISE THE LORD! I also know something else: whenever I think of heaven I think of her being there and I am looking forward to seeing her again someday.

So God called Regina HOME. In doing so He comforted me in a way that was entirely supernatural. God is GOOD. BUT codek, before I could experience his supernatural grace and comfort I had to surrender my claim to my daughter: she belonged to God and He had the right to reclaim her at his will. Simple. But not possible without submission. Can't do that? Then ask the LORD to help you do it! I do and He answers. Every time. He will do the same for others....I am not unusual or spectacular at all.

God bless.

2011/9/28 9:47Profile

Re:

You want to talk about blessings? Check this out.

Over the past couple years I have watched several friends suffer and die from cancer. One at the age of 42 from stomache cancer, another at the age of 52 from lung cancer. Before they died they told everyone that the cancer was a blessing from God.

Wanna know why? Because if they had not gotten cancer they both admit that they probably never would have taken the condition of their soul seriously. They both were saved after their diagnosis... and God changed both these men dramatically, and blessed them abundantly by being able to spend their last days comforting their wives, children, family & friends. One was divorced and was able to make things right with his ex-wife.

Cancer a blessing? You bet!

I suffered a heart attack last summer (in my early 40's)... and it was a blessing! I can not tell you how many people I've been able to minister to because of it. In fact, last night I was at the hospital visiting a man in our church who had a heart attack on friday and bypass surgery ovr the weekend. I can minister to him in a way no one can who has not gone thru that experience.

I thank the Lord for the suffering in my life. God allows it and uses it to make us more like Jesus... if we are saved. If we are not, He can use it to bring us to salvation.

Krispy

2011/9/28 11:27
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Krispy wrote:

"I thank the Lord for the suffering in my life. God allows it and uses it to make us more like Jesus... if we are saved. If we are not, He can use it to bring us to salvation."

Scripture reaffirms this concept in Hebrews 12:5-11: NASB

5 and you have forgotten the exhortation which is addressed to you as sons,
“MY SON, DO NOT REGARD LIGHTLY THE DISCIPLINE OF THE LORD,
NOR FAINT WHEN YOU ARE REPROVED BY HIM;

6 FOR THOSE WHOM THE LORD LOVES HE DISCIPLINES,
AND HE SCOURGES EVERY SON WHOM HE RECEIVES.”

7 It is for discipline that you endure; God deals with you as with sons; for what son is there whom his father does not discipline?

8 But if you are without discipline, of which all have become partakers, then you are illegitimate children and not sons.

9 Furthermore, we had earthly fathers to discipline us, and we respected them; shall we not much rather be subject to the Father of spirits, and live?

10 For they disciplined us for a short time as seemed best to them, but He disciplines us for our good, so that we may share His holiness.

11 All discipline for the moment seems not to be joyful, but sorrowful; yet to those who have been trained by it, afterwards it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness.

It is essential for us human to experience our inability to save ourselves before God can do ANYTHING.

Appreciate your testimony, Krispy.

ginnyrose

2011/9/28 11:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy