SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : "Christians" cussing

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 )
PosterThread

Re: Krisy

Brother that may be true. There may be more foul language used in the northeast than in other parts of the country. But even in Ark. where I live more inappropiate language is seeping into places where it was never uttered before. It's coming into the church as mentioned. But also into professional meetings. I work as a part time meeting coordinator setting up professional meetings for attorneys and other groups. Amazing when one puts on a coat and tie or power suit what comes out of their mouths.

The sad thing is the media such as television uses profanity even on so called family programs. But when the saints of God use this type of language and call it being real I shake my head. What I am saying its becoming a wide spread problem.

Just my 2 cents.

2011/9/14 15:17

Re:

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that Christians spend more time in front of the TV than they would ever dream of spending in the Bible!

Garbage in... garbage out.

Krispy

2011/9/14 15:34

Re:

Excellent point. I have heard that the average person spends anywhere from 3 to 5 hours in front if the TV on a daily basis. What woukd happen if one would spend that much time in the word.

2011/9/14 17:45
Veronica226

Montana

Re:

Quote:
You suggesting it is worse there then in the South? What makes things so bad here in the south is you have Calvinism gone to seed. People think 'once saved, always saved' and the flesh can still do whatever wherever and it will not impact ones eternal destiny. And this is how they live and you cannot convince them otherwise.

I'm going to have to disagree with you and agree with Renouncer and Krispy. Calvinism isn't the issue. Here's why: I live in Montana. The middle of Montana, the middle of no where. About as far away from the Bible belt as you can get. In the particular town where I live over 90% of the churches are NOT Reformed or Calvinistic. 4 years ago we when were looking for a church we went to 12 different churches in one summer. As far as I can remember not one of them was Reformed or Calvinistic. And do you know what I saw? The exact same thing that people are describing here. Filthy language, immodest dress, unholy lives. Things that should not be seen in the church.
The church we ended up going was was very much NOT reformed. In fact they constantly FOUGHT with one lady over "once saved, always saved" and she left the church. Why? Because the church didn't believe that AT ALL. And yet I have never seen so much worldliness in so-called believers before. There wasn't cussing in church, but one time with the teens they ALL admitted they REGULARLY dropped f-bombs in school. !!! And EVERY middle-aged person in that church couldn't imagine living without cable, internet, cellphones and video games or making less than $35,000 a year. This was NOT a "once saved, always saved" church and yet here is the same problem. So again I say, Calvinism is NOT the issue.
And as Paul Washer said in his sermon "10 Indictments":
"Calvinism isn't the issue. The issue is regeneration."
The problem is we've forgotten the doctrine of regeneration. The problem is easy-believism. The problem is cheap grace. The problem is a lack of the fear of GOD. Calvinism may exacerbate these problems, but it is not the cause of them. I speak this from experience.
Moving on...

martyr said,
Quote:
The sad thing is the media such as television uses profanity even on so called family programs.

I made this observation this week. My dad had the TV on (he's not saved and TV is his life) and was watching some sit-com or something and they said a cuss word. I was shocked to hear the one they used and all I could was "They would have never said that on prime time TV 5 or 10 years ago!" I can't even imagine how bad it will be in 5 years. Maybe even less.

Krispy said,
Quote:
Probably has a lot to do with the fact that Christians spend more time in front of the TV than they would ever dream of spending in the Bible!

And what's even sadder is that if you DON'T spend time in front of the TV and you DO read/study your Bible for more than an hour, you are deemed as weird, fanatical, or crazy by people in the church! My sisters family-in-law, who are all atheists, respected my desire to not watch TV and instead study my Bible waaaaaay more than the people in my church did. I felt more comfortable and accepted around the atheists than the church people! It is a sad day in which we live...

Back on topic...
I absolutely HATE cussing. ESPECIALLY in guys. It makes me afraid of the guy and I don't really want to be around him if he does that.
It doesn't bother me quite as much with unbelievers, but it still intimidates me a little. I don't know why. It's not like I haven't heard it (my dad cussed a lot when I was growing up and I still usually hear something out of his mouth once a day) and I used to cuss like a sailor, if you can believe it.
I just think it's a really filthy habit. It IS really sad that this is infiltrating the "church". Especially under the guise of a "masculinity movement." True masculinity isn't about cursing or belching or video games, it's about sacrificially laying down your life for someone else. Not that will have to literally die for them, but that you put their desires ahead of your own.
Unfortunately it seems like it's getting harder and harder (in the U.S. anyway) to find examples of sacrificial love. In men OR women.

2011/9/14 23:09Profile
ArtB

New York

Re:

I was never one to curse, it just was not something in my spirit to do, with the exception of one word.

I know that I was a Christian when I was 4. I lived in the Bronx and many around me did curse. One kid spoke the 'F' word a few times in every sentence he spoke. Some of my friends only cursed when they were mad. Cursing was a lot less back then than know.

After college, I became a Construction Project Manager in NYC area, and eventually had my own Construction Company. This led to my constantly being around Blue Collar workers. For most of them, cursing was a second language. Say the right curse word, and the other guy understands what his fellow worker wants, immediately. The cursing never bothered me, I did not let it bother me, though I never took part in it. I had a job to do and my focus was on the work.

They knew I was a Christian, and for my benefit they never used Jesus name in vain, and many saw themselves as Christians.

I never judged them for their cursing, and I did share the gospel message and other topics from the bible, over time.

I recall what Jesus said:

Mk 3:28-29 " Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter; but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin" NASU

I will not judge a man as being a non-Christian or some kind of inferior Christian, because he curses, though I have no delight in hearing curse words, they are unpleasant to my ears. And I did show them respect and gave them credit when they did a job well done and I let others know it.

Then there is a disease of the mind that is called Tourette's Syndrome, where people who do not want to curse but can not stop themselves from speaking out many profanities simply because of a brain defect. Which is another reason why I refuse to judge people who curse. If Jesus can forgive them of cursing including using His name, I can forgive them for the cursing too.

I'm glad that I have attended Church's where no one curses, and I certainly do not want our Pastor cursing from the pulpit. Cursing is not a good thing.

As for the one curse word that I can not permanently stop myself from saying even though I wish I could, which comes out of my mouth when I suddenly get in a very unexpected awful moment is 'Shit'. I hate saying it, but it comes out automatically when I bang my thumb with a hammer, or see another car crashing into my car, or I theirs, or when I show up at Yankee Stadium with tickets for great box seats and suddenly discover they were for yesterday's game. etc. etc. I hate saying it, wish I didn't, but it remains automatic in sudden shockingly bad circumstances.

2011/9/15 0:34Profile

Re: Veronica

In some ways the athiest and nonbelievers are more respectful of sacred things than the so called believers. I hear nonbeluevers are more polite than Christians are. Sure makes one woner?

2011/9/15 0:43

Re:

Quote:
The problem is we've forgotten the doctrine of regeneration. The problem is easy-believism. The problem is cheap grace. The problem is a lack of the fear of GOD. Calvinism may exacerbate these problems, but it is not the cause of them. I speak this from experience.

Actually Reformed/Cavlinism theology (the terms mean the same exact thing)teach regeneration. Reformed theology does NOT teach "easy believism", and in fact fights against such a thing.

Reformed theology teaches the fear of God and the lowliness of man. It does not exacerbate the problems described in this thread at all. In fact it offers the only solution... the Biblical solution. Regeneration thru Christ, and not thru man or any right decision made by man or some formula prayer man can say.

It's all of God, every bit of it.

True reformed teaching fights AGAINST cheap grace.

Worldliness can certainly be found in reformed circles, no one is immune. But most of the churches that we here on SI complain about as being too worldly... are not reformed, but the exact opposite.

Joel Osteen... not reformed... at all. Rick Warren... not even close to being reformed. Benny Hinn... probably has never even heard of reformed theology. etc etc...

Who were reformed? Great revival leaders such as George Whitefield, Charles Spurgeon, Jonathon Edwards... great preachers/theologians such as AW Pink, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, John MacArthur, etc etc.

I'm not trying to spark the debate, just stating the fact that TRUE reformed theology (Calvinism) fights against cheap grace and easy believism.

Krispy

2011/9/23 10:56

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy