SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : jesus

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lkid

Re:

nothing secret or code about the Philippian jailer's conversion:

"Sirs, What must I do to be saved?"
"Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ and thou shall be saved.."

"And they spake unto him the word of the Lord, and to all that were in his house."

The word of the Lord being the bad news of sin and the good news of Who Jesus is what He did.

God made it simple for simple people like me, if it was complicated i wouldn't be saved, I'd be lost.

2011/9/15 1:21Profile

Re:

Not that simple buddy. There are verses speaking of how easy it is to be saved and verses speaking about how you have to be pretty much sinless after conversion. Jesus also commands us to a lot of things, not just believe. He also talks about how the cost of discipleship is your life, everything.

"In the same way, any of you who does not give up EVERYTHING he has cannot be my disciple."

Luke 14:33

"For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake will find it."

Matthew 16:25-26

Mat 19:21

"Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me"

He also tells us to love each other as we love ourselves. He also tells us that whatever we do to the least of these, we do unto Him.

If you look at the whole bible, it's not just believe he died for yourselves type of thing. That verse says so but the bible says many other verses also and that is why the bible is a paradox.

"The word of the Lord being the bad news of sin and the good news of Who Jesus is what He did."

You need to listen Paul Washer sermon about false conversion when he talks about 1st John. You need to add repentance and regeneration to the topic of salvation.

If it's so easy why is most of the modern church headed for hell. I know there has to be good people in prosperity church that believe Jesus died for their sins but they don't know anything about being regenerated or what is true repentance.

2011/9/15 3:22
MaryJane

Re:

by codek on 2011/9/14 21:22:37

Not that simple buddy.

Codek you mentioned in a few posts back that you are "not" yet saved so I do not expect that you would see or understand yet that it is truly that easy. Just to let you know I have listen many times to Paul Washers teachings even the one you mentioned and I still know it to be that simple. Truth is that many who come along today make it much more complicated then it is. Yes we are called to repent, yes we are called to live in submission and obedience unto the LORD, and yes we are told to take up our cross and follow JESUS. These are all things HE asks of us but HE does not expect us to do so alone, HE gives us all that we need to do these things. If you mean that its not that easy as in how the modern day church teaches the gospel then I can agree with you on that. There is something required of us, a death, and there are many who are not willing to go there...

Codek you also wrote:"I know there has to be good people in prosperity church that believe Jesus died for their sins but they don't know anything about being regenerated or what is true repentance."

_____
The real reason you see so many around you who have happily excepted the water down, feel good teaching of salvation is because they want to. Many don't want to die to self, they don't want to live their lives daily in submission to the LORD, and they don't want HIM to be LORD of their lives. There are many who want GOD, but they want HIM only on their terms...they are lost because they would rather stay deceived then truly come to the LORD and die to self.
Even in my own family their are those who profess their love for the LORD but when it comes down to it, they want things their way and they reject HIS way...

I am still praying for you. I pray you will come to know the LORD, that you will repent of your sins, take up your cross, and daily live unto HIM as HE calls you to no matter what. There is work that needs to be done in each of our lives as we walk and grow in HIM. I am learning no matter what HE asks of me HE is so very worth it, just to be with HIM, it is all that matters.

I pray one day very soon you will be saved.

God bless
maryjane

2011/9/15 8:28Profile
a-servant

Re:

It's easy to believe, but believe means more than mental assent to truth. We need to respond. Then it becomes faith.

John 5:38  And ye have not his word abiding in you: for whom he hath sent, him ye believe not. Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me. And ye will not come to me, that ye might have life.

What is missing? - Faith or/and the Holy Spirit

James 1:22  But be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.

What is missing? - Faith to respond, living faith

In Hebrews it's about the roots of faith, which is a faith like Abraham had. He didn't just believe and forget about it, he responded.

See, even the Holy Spirit comes only after some act of response or obedience.

Acts 5:32 And we are his witnesses of these things; and so is also the Holy Ghost, whom God hath given to them that obey him

What is usually termed as repentance. What is more than mental assent also, or feeling sorry about sin. It's all that and also linked to obedience that will follow.

Acts 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.

shows the sequence, we should start with 'repent' - and how can anyone repent without being convicted of anything?

I didn't repent before I basically came to the end of myself, only that humbled me enough to seek God. Can a proud person repent?

2011/9/15 8:54Profile

Re:

Savannah, thanks for the links bro, but I wasn't asking for myself, I wanted to find out how Brother Codex understands conversion and/or regeneration. I wanted his take on when someone is converted.

2011/9/15 9:56

Re:

"And if salvation is so easy, why is EVERYBODY GOING TO HELL"

Revelation 7:9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes....

If no man can number them, that is a lot of people. What that means is that a man would become exhausted after awhile and quit because the numbers are so great.

Parts of this great gospel is a mystery.

Oh yes, there are mysteries to this gospel that only few have even tried to comprehend.

But as for the simple gospel the grace of God has appeared to all men calling them to repent.

It starts out as a journey and it will cost you everything to continue therein. But He makes the cost easier then you might think.

We say with great enthusiam, "It will cost you", as if it was some hard decision, or something awful to bear. Jesus said, "My yoke is easy and my burden is light". Jesus paid the price.

He not only paid for the fees to get in the door, He also paid the ticket, my cost is that I walk toward Him.

The cost of walking with Him is my association with Him. Do I want to be associated with Jesus and do I want others to know that I am?

Get around some influential men and women and I guarantee you that your more apt to please them then to let them know that you are associated with Jesus Christ.

There is a cost to knowing Christ. As soon as you mention that your a believer in Jesus and give them a little bit of the gospel, you'll find out who your friends are and who is not. People will desert you, but you'll gain better and more loyal friends.

Thats the cost.

And yes your right about the mind wanting to go one way and your spirit wanting to another, that will be your constant conflict for the rest of your life. It won't torment you unless you allow doubt to enter in, yes it will be a conflict, but Paul is saying, Walk in the Spirit and you will not fulfill the lust of the flesh. That is the promise.

Now that is not an overnight thing. As a newborn child you need to feed off the sincere milk of the word, in other words, read the bible, hear what the Holy Spirit is saying to you and grow thereby. Your faith will increase.

David said, "Many are the afflictions of the righteous but the Lord continually delivers him out of them all.

And thank God for afflictions, else we would never experience His mercies, for they are new every morning, Great is thy faithfulness.

If you say your not converted then I would cry out for mercy. Let mercy shower you with a blessing of understanding of what it means to be saved.

God Bless brother.

2011/9/15 10:19

Re:

Having skimmed thru this thread... I can safely say that all throughout this, the main person asking the question is shaking his fist at God. There is an anger and a rebeliousness in almost every post he made.

Therein lies the problem. The problem is not God, my friend... the problem is with you.

You need to humble yourself and see yourself as you truly are, and see God as He truly is. Fear Him and tremble.

When you do this, a lot of things will begin to make sense.

Krispy

2011/9/15 13:01

Re:

Krispy, that is simply an ignorant view.

2011/9/15 15:19
Lkid

Re:

It appears you are right Codek, its not that simple, for you. You are making it difficult, not God. Salvation is a free gift. Gifts are not difficult to receive, they are meant to bless, not be a burden.

Sanctification is a process of burning away the dross in your life and that is more difficult.

Becoming a disciple of Jesus Christ is very costly, it will cost you your life. So one is a gift - eternal salvation, the other costs us something.

But Jim Elliot said it best at age 22 - He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. The dividends of discipleship are worth it. God rewards us openly who live out our faith in secret.

There is probably differing views on this I'm guessing, but salvation is clearly a free gift, no cost. Sanctification and discipleship are not, and cost you your life.

Lloyd

2011/9/15 15:30Profile

Re:

Quote:
Krispy, that is simply an ignorant view.

Thank you for simply proving my point.

It is an impossibility for the problem to be with God. It is never with God. Therefore the problem is with you, my friend.

And if you believe you are not saved then you admit you are still in rebellion to God, because thats what it means to be unsaved.

And yes, you have shaken your fist at God on this thread. Look at the title of it. You blame God, yet God is not ever to blame. You are. It will always be your fault... because God is holy and blameless.

So if you want the answer to your question you need to start by looking at yourself.

Thats not ignorance on my part, thats sound Biblical doctrine. If you refuse it it is you who are arrogant and ignorant, not me.

You just dont like it because someone will speak plainly and boldly to you... but someone has to. I dont have all the fancy words that others have. I prefer to just get straight to the root of the issue. And it's painful for you, so you call me ignorant (which is a nice Christian way of calling me "stupid")

Krispy

2011/9/15 16:41

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy