SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : Discussion Forum Site Changes - PM taken down.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Discussion Forum Site Changes - PM taken down.

Saints,

Through consideration and prayer we have decided to remove the "avatar" images from the discussion forums and will be removing them from the user profiles and registration process. We feel this is a good decision though they have been a blessing to reconize people on the site it also can and has been a hindrance in some ways of people hiding behind the image of a great preacher etc. We feel it will be more genuine and honest to see no images this way and allow good godly conversation to happen amongst believers. The usernames seem sufficient to distinguish between different users.

Also we have decided to take down the private messaging functions on the website forums. Though they have been a blessing and used to encourage fellowship we feel as the site has more traffic it is very hard to guard against mis-use of these functions as well as spam, etc. We are encourage saints who want to ensure contact with others to put an email address in their profiles. Also about site issues to email myself or one of the moderators directly.

We are going to leave the private messages at this point on the website for 2 weeks so you can view them but not respond: https://www.sermonindex.net/viewpmsg.php

We encourage you to archive and copy and paste the messages you want to keep and write down the emails of the people in the profiles you stay in contact etc. Thank you for helping us make this site better and also cutting back in areas the Lord is leading in.

Blessings to you all that serve and use the forums.

2011/7/23 14:11Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Discussion Forum Site Changes

I hope nobody is missing this announcement.

2011/7/23 16:20Profile
mama27

Re:

Would there be any consideration with putting the PM feature back for a few days or a week or something? I am not comfortable leaving my email address on my profile, and I was in the middle of an interchange with someone that was fairly important regarding a child. If we had had a few days notice (maybe I missed it - sorry), I would have shared my email address with this person via PM. Maybe there are others in my situation.

Thank you, Moderators, for all that you do. I am in prayer for you...

2011/7/23 17:09Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Would there be any consideration with putting the PM feature back for a few days or a week or something? I am not comfortable leaving my email address on my profile

Dear sister,

We are strongly encouraging everyone to connect via email. Most people have their emails visible through their profiles. We are trusting a 2 week grace period should be long enough for everyone to collect messages they want to keep. I am praying this works out well there are some reasons why we closed the messaging abruptly but I know the Lord has a plan in this for good. God bless.

2011/7/23 18:41Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

If you do not want to give out your primary email address, it is very easy to have a secondary email address that you could make just for the purpose of interacting with others.

2011/7/23 18:47Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Probably better anyway, I am a Mod on a auto a/c forum and we can view PM's. Now we usually don't go to the trouble of viewing them, because we have better things to do with our time. I have had to view some in the past 6 years because I was asked to, because some folks got some very rude PM's, and they used as evidence to ban the rude folks from the forum. Every forum I have ever been a Mod on we could view PM's, and I know some folks are not aware of this,maybe not here I don't know, but this is why I personally would rather email.

2011/7/23 19:29Profile
staff

Re: Discussion Forum Site Changes - PM taken down.

Hi Sermonindex,
I personally thought the Pm was great very dissappointed that you are closing it down.It was very encouraging and quick.Not sure on this one,Yours Staff

2011/7/23 19:44Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Probably better anyway, I am a Mod on a auto a/c forum and we can view PM's. Now we usually don't go to the trouble of viewing them, because we have better things to do with our time. I have had to view some in the past 6 years because I was asked to, because some folks got some very rude PM's, and they used as evidence to ban the rude folks from the forum. Every forum I have ever been a Mod on we could view PM's, and I know some folks are not aware of this,maybe not here I don't know, but this is why I personally would rather email.

I fully agree with this. I have had private messages forwarded to me that made me very sad. It is amazing how some brothers and sisters in private can speak so rudely and arrogantly but in public appear very godly and gentle. We must not have these type of double lives by God's grace.

I believe to encourage more public interactions will be better and allow for more to "come to the light" instead of hidden private arguments etc.

SermonIndex must not be a place where people have arguments in private but do not want to associate them with their "real" life ie their email. This is not the right use of this forums or any for that matter.

May God give us all the grace to be servants to each other as much as possible. I appreciate you all.

2011/7/23 19:49Profile
staff

Re:

Hi Sermonindex,
This is a great website,maybe the best and still will be without PM,I think we could have had a discussion about it,the way we did when we were asked how we could improve the site etc and had a list of rules and regulations for the PM section the way we have for the post section.And then if it PM section was been mis used you still we could have got rid of it.I was unaware that their was a problem with it.Maybe I missed it though,so I stand corrected if thats the case.I dont post on any other webs so I am unaware how they work but I thought the PM was good.I am sorry to hear that things got out of hand but I hope that your decision was not reactionary but was lead by the Lord.
We all apprecitate your exceptional efforts to make this a great resource and pray for the continued guidance for you and your team,Many thanks Staff

2011/7/23 20:30Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

I appreciate for your understanding and having much grace for me in this situation. I do believe it is a better thing to have this happen and I am thankful for everyone's encouragements and prayer as we continue to pray that this website will bring upmost glory to Christ.

And that it would build His Testimony and not hinder it in anyway.

2011/7/23 21:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy