SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Campus Crusade For Christ Drops the Name of Christ, for Cru.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
jimp

Re:

hi, amen to king jimmy

2011/7/22 23:56Profile

Re: Phil.2:9-11

Therefore God exalted him
to the highest place
and gave him the name that
is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus,
every knee should bow
in heaven and on earth
and under the earth,
and every tongue confess
that Jesus Christ is Lord;
to the glory of God the Father.

2011/7/23 0:34
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I was listening to K-love yesterday and they talked about this, the Campus Crusade for Christ wanted to better appeal to the many Muslims that are now on Campuses and so dropping Crusade from their name. I agree with Jimmy though, does a name represent them or does their work for Christ represent them?

2011/7/23 1:17Profile

Re:

Hey Matthew, keeping cool in sunny Kansas? :) They did not drop the name Crusade, they dropped the name Christ. I think what this represents to many, and obviously not all, is the symbolic nature of this in a long line of events which has nothing to do with CCFC per se.

Some believe that Christianity is in crisis, and some do not. Some believe that we are enetering into the beginning of sorrows and some do not. Some believe that we are fast approaching the great falling away, the great apostacy, the great whore church, and some do not.

I think of people like brother David Wilkerson who had such an urgency in his preaching, believing that Christ was at the door, and others simply believed he was a doom and gloomer, in fact one very notable Christian leader even made that comment the day that he died.

As far as CCFC. They were not alone in signing a pact agreeing that Catholics were Christians therefore they do not need to be proselytized, not to mention the trouble that brought them in places like South America where trying to share Christ with Catholics caused enormous problems from the Catholic church. I think of a good friend of mine who is now dead who was removed from prison ministries after explaining to prisoners, after having been asked about purgatory, that there was indeed no such place. He was given one warning and told that this was offensive to Catholics. He was asked again about a month later and answered the question truthfully, at which point he was " invited ," to leave.

I understand that many see no watering down of Christianity today. They do not see any crisis and they tend to mock anyone who does. I understand and accept that this is the postiton perhaps even the majority position of Christendom, I simply disagree and see the dropping of the name of Jesus as just one more step, one more drip in the watering down of the gospel, the softening of the message.

In an apostate church, the name of Jesus, as the Christ, the Lord of all and the King of Kings is going to be unacceptable. People can talk about a generic god until the cows come home, but the name of Jesus causes all the " trouble." The logic is going to be, in my opinion, in the end days ,that we simply agree that we all worship the same God and that we must stop emphasising Jesus as the only way to heaven and the Muslims will stop emphasising Mohammed. As impossible as it is to see right now, there is coming a one world church, and the groundwork is being laid for it even as we speak..........brother Frank

2011/7/23 8:50
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I am not personally acquainted with Campus Crusade for Christ. All I know of them is that if I show up for 3 days to do some open-air crusade style evangelism on a campus they have a presence on, nobody from their organization, or InterVarsity, stops by to so much as say hello, let alone offer me the right hand of fellowship, or show me any hospitality. I believe such is more alarming than what they call their organization. But, if Frank's observations about their ecumenical history is true, then their name change sounds more like a nail simply being driven into the coffin of a long dead corpse.

But at the end of the day our ultimate concern shouldn't be about an organization that you and I have probably had little to nothing to do with. At the end of the day, we need to ask ourselves, "Did I make Christ's fame made known amongst the nations? Or did I cause His name to be blasphemed?"

2011/7/23 9:47Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi KingJimmy,

Very good conclusion.

I would also like to point out that many such Christian student organizations are very loosely organized. They have a central office that organized some conferences, but it isn't like a denomination or anything.

I attended a Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship, which was a very nice organization on campus for believers attending college. We had weekly meetings that resembled what most of us would consider a "church service." We had intimate times of worship followed by strong messages and times of teaching from the Word of God. We had several good faculty mentors who often taught the Word, as well as a number of guest speakers.

Moreover, many of the students were given the opportunity to preach the Word. In addition, the organization had Bible studies and prayer meetings throughout the week and we sometimes held our meetings outdoors along the main campus quad. We also held prayer walks around campus as we prayed for a revival on campus. Plus, of course, we hoped that believers would be able to encourage one another.

As wonderful an organization as our campus group had been, I had visited another Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship elsewhere that didn't resemble our organization at all. I suppose that this is because each group is autonomous and only loosely affiliated with the main office. In addition, the strength of organization for each group may only be as strong as the believers located there.

I just have to wonder if Campus Crusade for Christ was similar.

On the campuses where I attended school, we didn't have a Campus Crusade for Christ campus ministries. However, we had a handful of other Christian student ministries and student organizations. Like most denominations and individual churches, most of them did NOT have the name "Christian" within the title of their organization.

Again, I was highly involved in a Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship. The only other organization that I was aware of that had the name "Christian" in the title was the Fellowship of Student Athletes -- which, on one campus, most of its members might not have lived up to the title. However, there were other Christian student organizations as well. Off hand, I remember the Baptist Student Union, the Fellowship of Full Gospel Students, the Methodist Students organization, the Independent Baptist Mission, the Pentecostal Student Group, the International Fellowship of Evangelicals, Campus Outreach Ministries, and many more -- plus plenty of other groups like "The Tree," "The Net," "The Gathering," "The Door," etc... In addition, nearly every church in town had a "college and career" ministry as well.

Our organization was probably the most visible and well known on campus. We weren't denominational or sectarian, so we had students from diverse backgrounds (a lot like SermonIndex) and invited members from other student organizations to fellowship with us as well.

I have a strong suspicion that many other student organizations might be similarly "loose" with their affiliation. Our local organization was often highly oblivious to most of the conferences, conventions and announcements of the national organization. I was even an officer with the group (we had to have officers to remain as a registered organization on campus) and on the mail/email list for the national organization. There was no direct control over our group and the national group never contacted us except to let us know about conferences. They were, however, available for us in case we needed them.

Thus, I hope that we don't look at localized groups as belonging to this decision by the national organization of Campus Crusade for Christ. Many students may have been oblivious that such a change was even being discussed. And, as others have pointed out, the name is far less important than the substance. The organization is already known as "Campus Crusade" or "the Cru" on other campuses -- including the one my sisters attended.

I suppose that it has something to do with a human tendency to abbreviate. I know people who attend local churches who do the same. When asked, they say that they attend "First Baptist" instead of "First Baptist Church" -- or "New Life" instead of "New Life Christian Fellowship" -- or "First Assembly" instead of "First Assembly of God." Even our local campus organization was often referred to as "Chi Alpha" -- even though our name was "Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship." The "Chi Alpha" or "XA" was taken from the Greek symbols "Chi" for "Christ" and "Alpha" for "Ambassadors." In fact, one of the fraternities on campus (Lambda Chi Alpha) changed it's name so as not to be affiliated with our group. One classmate who was a part of that fraternity explained that their recruitment was down and that they suspected that the name "Chi Alpha" was associated with Christians on campus...which didn't bode well for Lambda Chi Alpha since it was known as a party/drinking fraternity.

Like someone else said, we may not want to "throw stones" yet. After all, it may just be nothing more than a "bad idea" rather than a concerted effort by the national office to camouflage the organization's Christian principles. Still, I think that it would have been much better to leave the name as it was. If some of the local groups wanted to continue to be known as "Campus Crusade" or "The Cru" on a localized level, then there was no need to change the name of the entire organization.

Many churches have done the same -- out of an attempt to sound invitingly "non-denominational" by removing the references to the denomination -- or just non-offensive. Ultimately, we might be able to learn a lesson from KFC: Whether it is called "KFC" or "Kentucky Fried Chicken," it is still the same fried chicken.

2011/7/23 12:15Profile

Re:

Here is a small extract from a piece that brother Greg just posted from Tozer. It could fit into this thread I believe.............

The ambitious will lead and the timid will follow. The result is a multiplicity of overlapping groups consuming millions of dollars each year to keep up offices and pay salaries for the carrying on of projects which is morally certain God never started. From all such we are in duty bound to turn away.

Every movement that solicits our support should be put to the test of sound Christian godliness. We have a perfect right to ask to see its credentials before we cast in our lot with it. We are, in fact, commanded in the inspired Word to do so, and we disobey God when we fail. We should ask first: Who is the hero of the piece, Christ or some star of the religious firmament? Next, are they who guide the project saintly and self-denying men whose records show them to be wholly concerned with the honor of God? Is there evidence of the travail of the Holy Spirit in the movement, or was it born painlessly at a get-together luncheon somewhere? Is there any real need for the organization, or is it a duplication of already existing means of accomplishing the same thing? Will our money, if we pay it into their treasuries; be used to spread the message of dying love and to encourage believers to seek to be Christlike? Will we be assisting men and women to live in all meekness of humility, to study to mind their own business, to live godly at home and attend to their duties as pilgrims of eternity, or will we be giving to the support of overpaid men who know not what sacrifice means? Will we be promoting the personal glory of publicity-hungry men or truly supporting the work of the Holy Ghost in this generation?

To see the full piece click here ...
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=40158&post_id=291685&order=1&viewmode=flat&pid=291682&forum=34#291685

2011/7/23 18:01

Re:

One must wonder if the glory has departed? I thought of Cru as I read the thread on relics of the Salvation Army.

2011/7/24 12:39

New Wine....Is it sour?

"New wine must be poured into New Wineskins." When men take over, God departs, for the Lordship of the church is either one way, or the other. When God's ruler ship is established, that of men must diminish. That is the principle of headship.

I think of every major move of God I know of...and ALL of them seem to have fallen someway very soon, one way or another. Think of the fire of John Wesley, and the famous circuit riders and interchanging Pastors. In 1839, the largest Protestant denomination in America, [750,000] with great Presence in the churches, and 9000 ministers with the majority travelling to teach and encourage the body; IE....Apostolic.

Today, generally, the Methodist denomination is not Christian at all. In my wife's grandparent's church, an old line Methodist one, a lesbian couple co-pastored it for a while.

Consider the 7 churches of Revelation, only one generation removed from Paul, and current with the Apostle John. Most had severe problems and several were rebuked to the point of being cut-off; their Candlestick removed!

Did the Holy spirit fail?, Was He Diminished? No, of course not. He simply moved on, to another people who received Him as Lord. This is the only place He will stay. He will depart from all who refuse His Lordship.

It is these churches, and the abiding Nature of their submission to the Lordship of Jesus that is THE requirement. Anything less than total worship and submission to Jesus is failure; rebellion.

As I see it, when men take headship...[ and Oh!...how they do, and love to do..!] there is an underlying ambition to succeed, and that usually manifests itself in numbers. Men want a king, and what kind of a king are you with a tiny kingdom?...or an impoverished one??..[ Jesus had no place to lay His head..]

So then, there is the rush for numbers...Evangelize! Grow!Grow the church!...and to keep them happy, a deep and witty word preached....good singing, and perfect order. About that time, God is already gone, and folks have a form of Godliness, but no presence or power. Paul advised from such, turn away.

But the truth is, people do not. It is a secure place, a place of approval, a place of belonging. [ Read Pilgrim's Progress about Christian City..] This is what happens every time men control the church, then the service, and the money..[ they live on and covet..], and God departs, every time...and they keep on the same track, and most never know the difference.

I don't really know much about the former CCFC...and hope that God would use them, but I don't know much about the real purity of the gospel they live either. I know that the compromise of not evangelizing Roman Catholics because "they were already Christians" is an evil thing..and certainly proves my point. When Man controls, God doesn't, and moves on to pour His New Wine into something that will honor Him fully.

2011/7/25 11:19
steve_cru

Re: New Wine....Is it sour?

Please read my perspective on this here https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=43163&post_id=310908&order=0&viewmode=thread&pid=0&forum=48#310908

2012/2/1 16:18Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy