SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Campus Crusade For Christ Drops the Name of Christ, for Cru.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread

Campus Crusade For Christ Drops the Name of Christ, for Cru.

Campus Crusade For Christ Drops the Name of Christ.

What is American Mission based ministries coming to?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/07/21/campus-ministry-drops-christ-from-name/?test=latestnews#comment

2011/7/21 19:21

Re: Campus Crusade For Christ Drops the Name of Christ, for Cru.

This is so tragic. Brotherton I thought you were kidding until I read the article. I was discipled by Campus Crusade for Christ. I keep asking my question, where is Jesus Christ? Is there not a ministry that will not stand up and proclaim Jesus Christ? While believers suffer and die for the name of Christ around the world, Campus Crusade removes Christ from its ministry name. All I can say is shame on them for their lack of courage.

2011/7/21 20:54

Re:

Sadly, I am not surprised.........brother Frank

2011/7/21 21:20
sarahsdream

Re:

Not too surprising. Bill Bright is one of the ecumenical signers of the Evangelical and Catholics Together document (agreement).

Look at all the former evangelical universities such as Yale and Harvard and many others which stood very strong for Christ at one time.

They were the CCFC of their time. It must have been equally astonishing when these formerly God-fearing institutions joined their heart with the world. Not saying that is what CCFC has done, but they may be headed in that direction.

In Christ,
Sarah

2011/7/21 21:32Profile

Re:

This is one more sad event in the demise of the Evangelical movement. As we know, in the last days, the name of Jesus will become more and more of an offense around the world. Carnal Christianity will crumble to the pressures exerted on them. When its all about the numbers, when the organisation and the survival of the organisation becomes paramount, then the name of Jesus has to go. The enemy knows that very soon every knee shall bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is Lord to the glory of God the Father. Just prior to the Lord returning, there will be and is as we speak, mounting pressure to not mention the name of Jesus as it is an offence around the world. Long may it be an offence around the world. Calvary is an offence to those who are perishing, its when it ceases to be an offence that we should be concerned. For if there is no offence then there is only religion, humanistic organisations whose primary purpose is not to lift up the name of Christ but to propogate their own survival and paycheck......... brother Frank

2011/7/21 21:41
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Sad, but God is still on the throne! He lives!

2011/7/21 21:45Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re: Campus Crusade For Christ Drops the Name of Christ, for Cru.

This is very sad.

We didn't have a Campus Crusade for Christ on my college campuses. However, I was very involved with Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship. It was a great way to seek and serve the Lord alongside other believers on college campuses.

In fact, our Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship group was able to visit with Bill Bright, the founder of Campus Crusade for Christ, at a conference. He shared a great word at the conference and offered very strong and personal encouragement to our local group.

I don't suspect that Mr. Bright would be pleased with this particular name change. Now, Campus Crusade for Christ has always been abbreviated as "Campus Crusade" and even "the Cru" at the university that my sister attended. While I understand that the name may have been acceptable on an internal level by members of the organization, it does sound a lot like of trying to "modernize" a Christian organization through a non-offensive name.

Of course, the early Church was called "the way" or "this way" -- and believers weren't known as "Christians" until Antioch. Even the term "Church" didn't have the same wildly understood ecclesiastic titular meaning or designation in the first century as it does today. Still, I think that it was best to keep "Christ" in the title.

On a personal level, I don't suspect Bill Bright of any wrongdoing here. Bright encouraged our own Chi Alpha Christian Fellowship group to boldly proclaim Christ in love everywhere we went and to let our university know that knowing and walking with Christ was our central focus.

By the way, there are a couple of good messages by Bill Bright contained her at SermonIndex.

How You Can Help Fulfill The Great Commission
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=17286

How You Can Walk In The Spirit
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=17285

2011/7/21 21:48Profile
sarahsdream

Re:

Quote:
On a personal level, I don't suspect Bill Bright of any wrongdoing here.

I think he passed away in 2003.

In Christ,
Sarah

2011/7/21 22:19Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Quote:

I think he passed away in 2003.

Yes, I know. We met him in 2001 when I was an undergraduate student. He was already quite ill at the time (he needed a portable oxygen tank).

I was just replying to the implication that Bill Bright might have encouraged this type of name as a means of "spiritual camouflage" by removing Christ from the name.

2011/7/21 22:34Profile

Re:

In all honesty it seems many of the campus ministries such as Navigators, InterVarsity, Campus Crusade, etc have compromised. Sarah mentioned the legacies of Harvard and Yale. Look st the legacies of the YMCA and YWCA. Even the Salvation Army is drifting from its Christ centered heritage. Is there a pattern here?

2011/7/21 22:55

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy