SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Urban Myths (Lies) You've Probably Heard From The Pulpit

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

QUOTE:
"Is it true that Madeine Murray O'hare's son was converted to Christ and is a gospel minister?"

This is true.

I have seen his autobiography in stores. However, I do not know where he is spiritually today, but he did at one point make a profession of faith.

This son's name is William O'Hare. It was him Madelyn used to get prayer outlawed in schools.

The O'Hare family was marked by tragedy after tragedy.

Norma McCorvey's life story is another sad one. However, she also turned to the LORD...a body can never tell - the most wicked person potentially can become your brother or sister in the LORD.

2012/2/5 9:07Profile
Browndl

Re:

Quote:
I watched an interview where he was amazed so many people wanted to hear him speak. He said he only had about 2-3 sermons that he would tackle from different perspectives.
That is really sad that he admitted that; and with that, I rest my case.

Why is this sad? I wonder how many varied and different sermons John the Baptist had? Or Jonah? Would it be better for a preacher to preach what God has given him or to multiply words to come up with entertaining variety?

Please do not take this as an affront or rebuke or anything of the sort.

But must we have illustration after illustration to keep us entertained? Or just the plain Word of God given to us line upon line and precept upon precept, again and again, that it might finally sink in and Christ be formed in us?

Jonah 3:2-6 Arise, go unto Nineveh, that great city, and preach unto it the preaching that I bid thee. So Jonah arose, and went unto Nineveh, according to the word of the LORD. Now Nineveh was an exceeding great city of three days' journey. And Jonah began to enter into the city a day's journey, and he cried, and said, Yet forty days, and Nineveh shall be overthrown. So the people of Nineveh believed God, and proclaimed a fast, and put on sackcloth, from the greatest of them even to the least of them. For word came unto the king of Nineveh, and he arose from his throne, and he laid his robe from him, and covered him with sackcloth, and sat in ashes.

2012/2/7 14:51Profile
roadsign

Re: The boy who came back from heaven

The Boy Who Came Back from Heaven- by Malarkey

Heaven is for Real- by Todd Burpo

Could somebody please verify whether these two New York best-seller-list books are urban myths or not? I would like some documentation - not merely your opinions. I have heard opinions already - from a ladies bible study group.

It seems that one of the acceptable literary styles today is writing fiction in a non-fiction format.

I'm looking for some substantial documentation - either way. I don't want the ladies' opinions or my opinions to rule on this matter. That need not be necessary, I believe.

Diane

2012/2/15 12:14Profile
pilgrim777

Re:

Quote:
the most wicked person potentially can become your brother or sister in the LORD.

The Apostle Paul is a good example.

2012/2/15 12:29Profile

Re:

Quote:

I think the author's name says it all: Malarkey

lol...

Krispy

2012/2/15 12:46
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
I think the author's name says it all: Malarkey

Names may mean a lot. But I was hoping for something a bit more substantial.

Diane

2012/2/15 12:54Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
roadsign wrote:

Could somebody please verify whether these two New York best-seller-list books are urban myths or not? I would like some documentation - not merely your opinions.

You'd have to read the book to get the documentation because the father (Todd, according to him) is a pastor and while his young son was experiencing death and the next year, he did his best to document it with scripture. Hope that helps.
(edit: he started documenting it AFTER the fact, I made it sound like he started from day one and I apologize for that. After his son started revealing things that he saw, he started writing it all down).

God bless,
Lisa

2012/2/16 9:33Profile
Sree

Re:

Quote:

I have not read these book and neither do I need to. But a simple test will tell you whether they are true or false. With the X number of mins that they were in Heaven did they see Jesus? Is seeing Jesus for them a big thing or seeing some old testament Prophet or a dead relative in Heaven?

For a true born again believer seeing Jesus will be the only thing that is worth seeing in heaven.

2012/2/16 10:31Profile
roadsign

Re:

Quote:
he started documenting it AFTER the fact,

Thanks Lisa, I read the first chapter online and heard a group of ladies excitedly explain details. I also checked the father’s blog. Because of what I see so far, and more significantly, what I DO NOT SEE, I have come to view this as pop Christianity – popular urban legend that is bringing in lots of $$$. But, I’d like some more substantial documentation outside of myself – either way.

Many have seen visions down the ages. For some reason, some of them like Joseph Smith’s, and now this heaven-experience seem to get enshrined.

Diane

2012/2/16 10:33Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re:

I really appreciate that there are preachers like Paul
Washer out there. When I need a lift, it is good to know that anything that I might watch from Paul is good, and solid gospel based teaching. I am just so tired of week after week hearing rambling, amusing stories about the speakers lives, tied to a momentary tie-in to the "gospel". I can remember hearing visiting evangelists that just regirgitate a sensational messasge that they spent the year travelling the country with, only to have them back in a year with something completely different. Our commission is very simple.
1Co 1:17 For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
Blessings Greg

2012/2/16 14:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy