SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Last Words of Great Saints!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Last Words of Great Saints!

Hudson Taylor, founder of China Inland Mission, in the closing months of his life said to a friend, "I am so weak. I can't read my Bible. I can't even pray. I can only lie still in God's arms like a little child and trust."
[b]Hudson Taylor[/b]

---

Thursday, December 21, 1899, after cutting short a Kansas City crusade and returning home in ill health, D. L. Moody told his family, "I'm not discouraged. I want to live as long as I am useful, but when my work is done I want to be up and off." The next day Moody awakened after a restless night. In careful, measured words he said, "Earth recedes, Heaven opens before me!" His son, Will, concluded his father was dreaming. "No, this is no dream, Will. It is beautiful. It is like a trance. If this is death, it is sweet. There is no valley here. God is calling me, and I must go." 
[b]D.L. Moody[/b]

---

John Wesley lay on his deathbed at the age of 88. Despite Wesley's extreme weakness, he began singing the hymn, "I'll Praise My Maker While I've Breath." 
[b]John Wesley[/b]

---

The 17th century Scottish theologian Samuel Rutherford gave this triumphant testimony before he stepped into eternity: "Mine eye shall see my Redeemer. He has pardoned, loved, and washed me, and given me joy unspeakable and full of glory. Glory shines in Immanuel's land!" 
[b]Samuel Rutherford[/b]

---

I have only a little longer of earthly darkness, and then the sunshine of the Father's throne. God is love. Good night, good night.
[b]Ira Sankey[/b]

---

"Our God is the God from whom cometh salvation: God is the Lord by whom we escape death." 
[b]Martin Luther[/b]

---

When John Owen, the great Puritan, lay on his deathbed his secretary wrote (in his name) to a friend, "I am still in the land of the living." "Stop," said Owen. "Change that and say, I am yet in the land of the dying, but I hope soon to be in the land of the living."
[b]John Owen[/b]

---

Be of good comfort, Master Ridley, and play the man; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out ...Father of heaven, receive my soul!
(October 16, 1555/burned at the stake for the gospel.)
[b]Hugh Latimer[/b]

2004/12/5 12:55Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Last Words of Great Saints!

You have been speaking about William Carey. When I am gone, say nothing about William Carey-speak only about William Carey's Savior.

[b]William Carey[/b] last words to a visitor

2004/12/5 16:01Profile
markitats

Springdale AR

Re:

Into thy hands I commend my spirit! Thou hast redeemed me, O God of truth.-Martin Luther

Trust in God and you shall have nothing to fear.-Jonathan Edwards

I am going to Him whom my soul loveth, or rather who has loved me with an everlasting love, which is the sole ground of all my consolation.-John Owen

I see earth receding; heaven is opening. God is calling me.-D.L.Moody

(to his son): And the homeless children, Bramwell, look after the homeless. Promise me...-General William Booth

Build me a hut to die in. I am going home.-David Livingstone

2004/12/5 18:45Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
William Carey last words to a visitor

Awesome brother!~ It would be great to keep this going, if you know the last words of some great christian men or women feel free to post it here.

2004/12/6 11:30Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Re:

"Lord, Open the King of England's eyes!" -William Tyndale

2004/12/6 13:07Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re: Covenanters' Scaffold Song

Do you know these last words? This is known as the Covenanters' Scaffold Song. During persecutions in which many of these Scottish saints were put to death, these were the last words of many of them. I don't know the original tune; we sing this occasionally in our meetings to a more recently written tune.

[b]Sing with me, sing with me!
Blessed spirits, sing with me;
To the Lamb our song shall be
Through a glad eternity.

Farewell, earthly morn and even,
Sun and moon and stars of heaven,
Heavenly portals open before me;
Welcome, Christ, in all Thy glory!
Sing with me, sing with me, sing with me,
Blessed spirits, sing with me.[/b]

Can you imagine them singing this as they stepped from life into Life? It reminds me of those lines by Tersteegen...

[b]We follow in His footsteps;
What if our feet be torn?
Where He has marked the pathway
All hail the briar and thorn!
Scarce seen, scarce heard, unreckoned,
Despised, defamed, unknown,
Or heard but by our singing,
On, children! ever on![/b]

2004/12/6 13:08Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Robert's Tyndale quote reminds me of the words of Latimer to Ridley as the fires consumed them in the town square in Oxford. Ridley had 'wobbled' at times, as the flames roared around them both Latimer cried

[b]Play the man, Master Ridley; we shall this day light such a candle, by God's grace, in England, as I trust shall never be put out.[/b]

The place of the death the Martyrs Memorial is close to the Ashmolean Museum in Oxford.

2004/12/6 13:16Profile
markitats

Springdale AR

Re:

“Doctor, I wish you to observe how real and beneficial the religion of Christ is to a man about to die… In his will he wrote: This is all the inheritance I give to my dear family, the religion of Christ which will give them and one which will make them rich indeed.”-Patrick Henry

“Thy will be done.”-Lew Wallace (author of Ben Hur)

“I have a tender reliance on the mercy of the Almighty, through the merits of the Lord Jesus Christ, I am a sinner. I look to Him for mercy.”-Alexander Hamilton

“I commend my soul into the hands of God my Creator, hoping and assuredly believing, through the only merits of Jesus Christ my Savior, to be made partaker of life everlasting; and my body to the earth, whereof it was made.”-William Shakespeare

“Death is the great key that opens the palace of eternity.”-John Milton (British poet)

“So the heart be right, it is no matter which way the head lieth.” –Sir Walter Raleigh (at his execution)

“The great mystery is Jesus Christ the gospel. What would the condition of any of us be if we had not the hope of immortality?… Thank God, the gospel of Jesus Christ brought life and immortality to light. His last words were: I still live.”-Daniel Webster (just before his death)

“I commit my soul to the mercy of God, through our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, and I exhort my dear children humbly to try and guide themselves by the teaching of the New Testament.”-Charles Dickens

“My dear children, do not grieve for me… I am God’s. I belong to Him. I go but a short time before you, and… I hope and trust to meet you all in heaven.”-Andrew Jackson

“It is a great mercy that I have no matter of fear or dread of death. I could, if God please, lay my head back and die without terror this afternoon.”-Isaac Watts (hymn-writer)

2004/12/6 14:09Profile
RobertW

Independence, Missouri

Thomas Bilney

Thomas Bilney is little known, but was greatly used of God during the reformation and the conversion of Tyndale. He was caught once and burned a stack of Tyndale Bibles to be set loose. This pricked him in his heart and he worked to get captured again. he was taken to his cell where he was given his last meal. Some friend had arrived to encourage him; he needed no encouragement. Bilney instead encouraged his friends the night before his burning. Bilney simply pushed the plate that contained his last meal back and addressed his dumbfounded friends. One account gives us these words; Though the fire should be of great heat to my body, yet the comfort of God's spirit should cool it to my everlasting refreshing.? At this point, Bilney put his hand toward the flame of the candle burning before them and, feeling the heat, said, O, I feel by experience, and have known it long by philosophy, that fire by God's ordinance is naturally hot, but yet I am persuaded by God's Holy Word, and by the experience of some spoken of in the same, and in the fire they felt no consumption: and I constantly believe, howsoever that the stubble of this my body shall be wasted by it, yet my soul and spirit shall be purged thereby; a pain for the time, whereon notwithstanding followeth joy unspeakable. Thomas Bilney placed the tip of his finger over the lit candle as it burned to the bone as he read these words; But now thus sayeth the Lord that created thee, O Jacob, and He that formed thee, O Israel; Fear not, for I have redeemed thee, and called thee by thy name, thou art mine own. When thou goest through the water I will be with thee, and the strong floods shall not overflow thee. When thou walkest in the fire, it shall not burn thee, and the flame shall not kindle thee, for I am the Lord thy God, the Holy One of Israel, thy Savior... ? (Isaiah 43:1-3). The next morning he ran and embrased the stake thanking God he had another opportunity to die for the faith.

2004/12/6 17:01Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Last Words of Great Saints!

Frances Ridley Havergal

Frail in health all of her life, Miss Havergal one day caught a severe cold which caused inflamation of the lungs. When told that her life was in danger, she exclaimed, "If I am really going, it is too good to be true!" At another time she responded, "Splendid! To be so near the gates of heaven." At the very end, it is reported that she sang clearly, but faintly, another of her hymns, "Jesus, I Will Trust Thee, Trust Thee with My Soul." Then, according to reports by her sister,

She looked up steadfastly, as if she saw the Lord; and surely nothing less heavenly could have reflected such a glorious radiance upon her face. For ten minutes we watched that almost visible meeting with her King, and her countenance was so glad, as if she were already talking to Him! Then she tried to sing; but after one sweet, high note her voice failed, and as her brother commended her soul into the Redeemer's hand she passed away.

Frances Ridley Havergal died at Caswall Bay, Swansea, Wales, June 3, 1879, at the age of forty-two. She never married.

On her tombstone at Astley, Worcestershire, is engraved her favorite text, 1 John 1:7-- "The blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanseth us from all sin."

2005/2/13 10:57Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy