SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Joplin , MO, takes a big hit by a tornado

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 )
PosterThread
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: 8 days and it all gets bulldozed to the dump

I've been in touch with some people very close to the situation and I'm told they are trying to identify remains from DNA. On a national news level many of us saw the 18 year old boy was sucked from his vehicle through the roof as his daddy tried to hold his legs. He had just graduated and cannot find his body. A family of 5 are dead with mom 26, dad 28, and three kids under 10. A man died laying over his dear wife to save her life and died shortly after from his wounds. Our sister nursing home (to where I minister weekly) was destroyed to the ground and 11 dear residents were killed including a wife and husband in their late 80's. For those that feel inclined, you can take a look at this map of the dead. It puts names on the numbers. May the Lord stir compassion in our hearts.

http://www.news-leader.com/interactive/article/20110523/MISC/110523058/Interactive-Map-Joplin-Tornado-Damage

2011/5/27 12:41Profile

Re:

I believe there are many men and women of faith that survived and...

Psa 116:15 Precious in the sight of the LORD is the death of his saints.

A777

2011/5/27 12:48
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Update from Joplin

A brief word and an update.

I realize that there is a great deal of disagreement on the cause of this disaster and whether there was a purpose behind it. Much of how we see this issue is so deeply rooted in us that we have a difficult time considering the other view. Perhaps we will not come to a total agreement on the subject. Remember the point in discussing it at all is so that we can wrestle with it in our own hearts, not wrestle with other believers over what we are convinced we understand. I have wrestled with this topic a lot over the past 10 years or so. I have listened to both sides. I am not TOTALLY convinced of my own stand, although there are some things I have spent a lot of time in prayer and study over and believe I am on the right track. Ultimately though I stand before God not so much about my doctrinal interpretation of the scriptures surrounding this topic but rather whether I have been a man who is totally sold out to knowing my heavenly Father and have my life hid with God in Christ. These topics are important as is all doctrine, but if I become contentious or despise my brother or cause others to stumble because of my own arrogance or stubbornness then I have missed it royally. (I am not accusing a single individual in this forum of stubbornness or of arrogance. I just understand what I have been tempted with and think I am not an exception to the human condition.) I have never met the brothers and sisters with whom I communicate on this forum, but I can truthfully say that I have grown in my faith through even this limited contact. Thank you all for your concern about my safety. Thank you even more for your prayers. I was six blocks from this tornado as it passed. God is indeed good!!!

Update:

My son was involved in search and rescue and works at a local hospital. From what he and others have told me the "official" death toll is very low compared to what will eventually be released as the final death toll. I hope to be wrong but I would not be surprised to see it double. It now stands at over 130. My brother is a foreman with the local power utility and he said the power workers have found...please don't think me gruesome. I write this through tears...little pieces of people among the wreckage of a substation. This is the reason for DNA identification. You get the idea. This tornado churned at 20 mph across town with 200+ MPH winds.

There have been rumors about the dozing of the neighborhoods. I am sure this must start soon as the town is beginning to stink (literally). We have had one dry day since the tornado and the water soaked debris is going to be a major health issue I am sure. Really it is necessary and best if it happens soon.

The outpouring of support for the city from the body of Christ around the country had been outstanding. I see teams of people simply walking up and down the streets offering help to anyone they come in contact with.

I am sure everyone has seen many pictures and videos from the aftermath. The national weather service office in Springfield, MO has a link to satellite imagery of the damage path in high definition photos. It is worth looking at.

The stories are endless and alternate between tragic and inspiring. We are so accustomed to tornado warnings here that we often ignore them. I can recall several times being awakened by a siren, glancing out the window, and going back to sleep. This time it seems God put a sense of urgency in the hearts of so many people including me. Call it the operation of the word of knowledge or word of wisdom. Call it God simply laying something on your heart. Call it what you will but God spoke to may Christians and told them, "Pay attention to this one." He saved so many lives of people who listened to Him. Praise God!!!

Bless you all!

2011/5/27 17:15Profile
AbideinHim

Louisiana

Re:

"These topics are important as is all doctrine, but if I become contentious or despise my brother or cause others to stumble because of my own arrogance or stubbornness then I have missed it royally. (I am not accusing a single individual in this forum of stubbornness or of arrogance. I just understand what I have been tempted with and think I am not an exception to the human condition.) I have never met the brothers and sisters with whom I communicate on this forum, but I can truthfully say that I have grown in my faith through even this limited contact. Thank you all for your concern about my safety. Thank you even more for your prayers. I was six blocks from this tornado as it passed. God is indeed good!!!"

Amen brother! I appreciate your Christ like spirit about this. It is not just truth that we want to convey, but are we expressing the heart of God in our posts? Mercy triumphs over judgement!!

Mike

2011/5/27 18:02Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Thanks for the update and admonishment, brother twayneb.

My wife have been both heartbroken and greatly encouraged by some of the stories coming out of Joplin. Our thoughts and prayers will continue as the town endures through this tragedy.

2011/5/27 18:23Profile
HeartSong

Re:

Aunt: Will Norton Missing After Graduation Dies

POSTED: 8:36 am CDT May 28, 2011
UPDATED: 10:28 am CDT May 28, 2011

JOPLIN, Mo. -- A teenager believed to be ejected or sucked from his father's car on the way home from graduation in the massive Joplin tornado last week is dead.

Will Norton's aunt, Tracey Presslor, said Saturday that the family received confirmation of his death late Friday night. She declined to say more until a later news conference.

Family members had previously told The Associated Press that Norton and his father were still on the road when the storm hit. Mark Norton urged his son to pull over, but the teen's Hummer H3 flipped several times, throwing the young man from the vehicle, likely through the sunroof.

The elder Norton was hospitalized.

Several social-networking efforts specifically focused on finding information about Norton.

The death toll from the savage storm stands at 132 people.

Source: http://www.kctv5.com/news/28057781/detail.html

2011/5/28 15:39Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy