SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : What WAS Tozer doing in there??

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

OK.

What a man says - he'll be tested on.

2011/5/17 20:29

Re:

A777

There ARE big guys, but one of the characteristics of them is that they don't measure themselves as such. It is left to others and posterity sake to do so.

Ezek 24:16-18 Son of man, behold, I take away from thee the desire of thine eyes with a stroke: yet neither shalt thou mourn nor weep, neither shall thy tears run down. Forbear to cry, make no mourning for the dead, bind the tire of thine head upon thee, and put on thy shoes upon thy feet, and cover not thy lips, and eat not the bread of men. So I spake unto the people in the morning: and at even my wife died; and I did in the morning as I was commanded.

Gen 22:2-3 And he said, Take now thy son, thine only son Isaac, whom thou lovest, and get thee into the land of Moriah; and offer him there for a burnt offering upon one of the mountains which I will tell thee of. And Abraham rose up early in the morning, and saddled his ass, and took two of his young men with him, and Isaac his son, and clave the wood for the burnt offering, and rose up, and went unto the place of which God had told him.

Job 2:9-10 Then said his wife unto him, Dost thou still retain thine integrity? curse God, and die. But he said unto her, Thou speakest as one of the foolish women speaketh. What? shall we receive good at the hand of God, and shall we not receive evil? In all this did not Job sin with his lips.
KJV

When I read these three accounts, I find Tozer's calling better prepared him to handle a burden such as Ezekiel's/Abraham's/Job's, than did Leonard's call.

Ascetics for asceticism's sake have nothing to be commended, but men who to all the rest of the world appear to be ascetic because God has their attention, are men who will be used of God in mightier ways than others.

OJ

2011/5/17 20:35

Re:

I think it is reminding a lot of us men about what is important.

Same way in the Bible.

God reveals a lot of warts regarding His servants. We all have "warts".

Maybe He does that so that we don't make bronze statues of each other.

We are all just unprofitable servants.

A777

2011/5/17 20:42

Re:

A777

She has a great point and a great stance on this, and the point can't be lost is that when God has a particular man's attention ALL else will be put aside at some time or other. If God has that man's attention for his whole life, though difficult for those around him, yet all else will be put aside, and he is not to be condemned for that.

The statement that Ada made is actually a terrible statement to have been said, and reported. It would be spoken in one of those times of weakness of flesh.

Ideally one might say that so and so loved Christ, but so and so made his love of Christ real to me... or something like that.

OJ

2011/5/17 20:54

Re:

Are these the words and a prayer of a hypocrite?

https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/articles/index.php?view=article&aid=16500

2011/5/17 21:00

Re:

Thank you Brothers!

eta - hit reply before finished - I was reading page one and two again. Thank you Joe, Jim, and others who commented on the OP.

2011/5/17 21:06

Re:

I guess since we really don't their hearts there is not a whole bunch more to say that has not already been said.

I commend AW for his writings.

I commend is wife for raising the kids.

I hope neither of them lose any rewards and hope the same for all of us.

A777

2011/5/17 21:17
Lkid

Re:

a problem here is that biographers, wives, friends, and the individual (AWTozer) all mix up the truth that we are simply talking about two PEOPLE who were imperfect. I very much appreciate Tozer's books and sermons, but he is just a man and is not my complete example though i have learned much from him. If Job was humbled by God's correction at the end of that book, I imagine Tozer wasn't as perfect as we dream. A funny thing is recently my friend told me he got blasted on a forum here for prepostering that Ravenhill might have some apologizing to people to do for some of his words in his messages. Let's not idolize men. God took Moses' body away so that the people wouldn't do that. Let's not do the same, no matter how greatly God used them (and I do appreciate both Ravenhill and Tozer). Reminds me of what Carter Conlon said at the memorial about how he felt that David might be looking over the balcony of heaven saying, come on, lets get back to reality here people.

We must be sold out to God whether our congregation is our wives and children or thousands.

As far as our children catching more than we teach them, this is true. But I was blessed to learn a while back that I am not the watermark for my children by God's grace. DL Moody and so many others come from a background that weren't even Godly at all. Praise God for His grace toward our children. But let us continue in grace for their sake.

2011/5/17 21:35Profile

Re:

Good word, Lkid and Old_Joe.

2011/5/17 21:56
jimp

Re:

hi, i personnally know one of tozers daughters in law and she is very careful not to condemn a.w. but it is clear that she has heard from her ex husband(died)how much he was left alone.len said that prayer is preoccupation with my needs and praise is preoccupation with God answering prayer to fill my needs, while worship is preoccupation with God for who He is.we all have our strengths and weaknesses and we are all human and need Jesus.none are perfect,no not one.not even me. jimp

2011/5/17 22:23Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy