SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : "What is hellfire preaching? Is hellfire preaching biblical?"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

"What is hellfire preaching? Is hellfire preaching biblical?"

Absolutely NOT!

The message of the kingdom is Good News.

We attach fear unto the message to make it legitimate and it also helps control converts.

The message was, "Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand", NOT, "Repent, or your going to hell".

What I have come to see it as is a demonstration of the flesh making it look like it has the anointing, as if yelling means it's anointed.

It's like the music in Churches today, it's geared to get the emotions all charged up. They go up and up and up until no one can reach those chords and they attribute that to some anointing because everyone is all fired up.

I have a Pentecostal background and I am all for emotions, but there is a balance and I do think that people need to discern more when it comes to some preacher shooting off his mouth. Is it God? it could be, but nine times out of ten, it's probably just him with a chip on his shoulder and thinking that he is doing God a favour.

2011/5/24 21:46
savedtoserve

Re:

I get your point, Approved. Yet I wouldn't speak so against a preacher; as David said, no matter what's wrong with him, he's still the Lord's anointed. There isn't always a one-preacher-fits-all kind of man, and I know that God has really used them to awaken some hardened sinners. Of course, appealing to the emotions isn't right, but that's NOT how they all are--I've been under the preaching of many such who simply preached the word, no frills. Exceptions excepted, I've seen the zeal of the Lord consume these men, not a fleshly carnality. Kind of like how the folks used to come to hear Wesley preach and "watch him burn" and then some of them would catch that fire and go off and others would watch them burn... If you catch what I'm saying, I'm only trying to express that there is a Biblical balance which I've seen preached out in an extraordinary way, to GOD'S glory. God be with you!

savedtoserve

2011/5/24 22:04Profile
JB1968

Ohio USA

Re:

Do you think Noah was mild and soft spoken about the coming judgment? John the Baptist was not a soft spoken preacher. He preached it hot

Some preachers preach hell-fire with tears, like they do not want anyone to go there. I believe this is the biblical way. I forget who it was, but one great preacher said he did not ever want to preach on hell without tears for lost souls.
Then there are those who preach hell-fire like they are glad you are going there. This way is not biblical. On another note, it seems many today do not fear hell and the judgment. It is like a deadness has settled in. Nothing moves some people.

2011/5/24 23:02Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
The message of the kingdom is Good News

Right, but it also includes the bad news of sin and God's judgment against it. People need to understand the bad news before the good news will make sense to them. This pattern of preaching the bad news and good news is throughout the Bible. To leave out the bad news is to tickle ears and do souls a serious disservice.
Quote:
The message was, "Repent for the kingdom of God is at hand", NOT, "Repent, or your going to hell".

In Acts 24:25 Paul reasoned with Felix about "righteusness, self control, and the judgment to come." Did Paul get the message wrong? Was he off? Was he off in Acts 17 when he warned the Athenians that God has appointed a day in which he will judge the world in righteousness through Christ? Was he off in 2Thess 1:7-9 in his statement that Christ will be "revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power"? When John Baptist warned Herod about his adulterous relationship was he off in his message? Did he unnecessarily get beheaded? When Jesus warned of God's judgment and preached on hell so many times was He off in His message?

The flesh does not like to hear about the righteous judgment of God against sin and sinners. It likes to be tickled with smooth speeches about the the good news only.

2011/5/25 0:58Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, hell preaching and fear has been used on me adnausium. this mindset has never worked in my or anyone elses life. fear hath torment and it is the goodness of God that leads to repentance.love is the power of God on the earth.where do we get the idea that our preaching saves people?unless the Holy Spirit shows up on the scene all you have is a religeous dog and pony show. the wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life thru Jesus Christ who conquered sin on the cross for all that believe on Him.repentance is giving the rule of your life to Christ.jimp

2011/5/25 1:37Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re: "What is hellfire preaching? Is hellfire preaching biblical?"

IMHO, hellfire and brimstone is a mindset that relies on how “hard” a man preaches, how “loud” a man can be because if not enough people come to the altar, do they ask why God didn’t show up? No, they blame themselves because “they” didn’t do something right. That mindset is so wrong! It’s God who gives the increase. I submit that men have had to come up with these tactics because God left the building.

I have an acquaintance who preaches in the schools (before school) and his main objective is “getting them saved” and seeing those hands raised to ask Christ into their life. He’ll text how many “got saved” that day or week. I used to ask him, “Do you do ANY follow up with them? Do you even know their names so that someone can disciple them? Have you EVER gone back five years later to see how many was walking the walk and still talking the talk?” The answer is no.

I KNOW that he has a burden for the lost but getting the names to check on them later doesn’t seem to be his number one priority (because of that once saved always saved mentality – say a prayer today and be saved tomorrow); his interest is in immediate gratification of those hands being raised so he can tack those numbers on his wall; kind of like notches in his belt.

But friends, I stand as a witness that you do not need altar calls or see hands raised to know people are being converted. If the preacher stops relying on himself and “his” tactics and the let the Holy Spirit do the work, I think we’d have a LOT more died in the wool, changed Christians and lives out there.

But all this is just one mere woman’s opinion!!!

God bless you,
Lisa

2011/5/25 7:49Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

sister Lysa, your last comments prove the point that some of us have different understandings on what "hellfire preaching" is and isn't. I would venture to say that many of us who believe it is biblical do not believe there is any need for altar calls when preaching the gospel. The kind of evangelism you described is a huge part of the problem in our churches.
What some of us are advocating is simply preaching the whole counsel of God, both the severity and kindness of God(Rom.11:22), as all the prophets and apostles preached, in the anointing of the Spirit. We simply want to be faithful to God and His Word without sugarcoating or watering down the hard truths or sayings of His Word.

2011/5/25 9:34Profile
savedtoserve

Re:

Exactly, Oracio.

Lysa, what you've described is the mindset and methods of the modern church. Perhaps what we're talking about could be termed the "old school, old time" hellfire preaching that is not as prevalent as the modern kind, but is real nonetheless. Also, remember that this is not condemning other preachers, it is just realizing that the Spirit of God convicts and convinces of sin in many different ways. (Bro Allen's preaching really pinned me down, even when I tried to convince myself I was saved. Some time later, I was gloriously converted and I can't forget the influence of his preaching.)

2011/5/25 10:45Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

jimp wrote:

Quote:
fear hath torment and it is the goodness of God that leads to repentance.

Regarding the fear of God, is not the fear of God the begining of wisdom? Proverbs 16:6 says "by the fear of the Lord one departs from evil."

Regarding the goodness of God that leads to repentance(Rom.2:4), is it not true that sometimes He reveals His goodness and mercy to us through His warnings, judgments and disciplines? Does Rom.2:4 teach that we should only preach on the love and mercy of God and leave out warning about the judgment to come? If that is true, Paul contradicted himself since we see that he did not leave the judgment of God out of his preaching.

Also, if we look at the context of Rom.2:4 we see that Paul did not mean to say we should only preach on the love and mercy of God. What Paul is doing in Rom.2:4 is rebuking non-believers for despising the goodness of God. In the very next verses he goes on to warn, "5 But in accordance with your hardness and your impenitent heart you are treasuring up for yourself wrath in the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God, 6 who “will render to each one according to his deeds”; 7 eternal life to those who by patient continuance in doing good seek for glory, honor, and immortality; 8 but to those who are self-seeking and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness—indignation and wrath, 9 tribulation and anguish, on every soul of man who does evil, of the Jew first and also of the Greek; 10 but glory, honor, and peace to everyone who works what is good, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. 11 For there is no partiality with God."

This is why context is so important when interpreting Scripture. When we take verses out of context we misinterpret them. It is always important to consider the verses before and after the verse we have in mind. And it is also important for us to consider the context of the whole Bible because it never contradicts itself.

2011/5/25 11:04Profile
Johneerr

Nigeria

Re: "What is hellfire preaching? Is hellfire preaching biblical?"

... WITH ALL HUMILITY,

THE SAMARITAN WOMAN NEEDED LOVE TO BE SAVED, AND SO DID MARY OUT OF WHOM JESUS CAST OUT SEVEN DEVILS,

BUT, NINEVEH NEEDED A PROCLAMATION OF DOOM, FROM A RUN-AWAY PROPHET LIKE JONAH. THEY NEEDED TO HEAR SOMETHING LIKE "YET FOURTHY DAYS, AND NINEVEH SHALL BE OVERTHROWN."

THE DOCTRINE OF HELL REMAINS AS BIBLICAL AS EVER. IF THERE WAS EVER ANY GENERATION THAT NEEDED TO HEAR IT SERMONIZED TO THEM DAILY, I THINK ITS THIS GENERATION.

WHATEVER, AS THE SCRIPTURES SAY, "WISDOM IS PROFITABLE TO DIRECT" AND WE NEED TO KNOW THE RIGHT MESSAGE FOR THE RIGHT CONGREGATION.THAT'S WHY WE NEED THE HOLY SPIRIT.

MAY GOD TEACH US TO BE WISE.

2011/5/25 11:24Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy