SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : The fourth commandment

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 )
PosterThread
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
The word translated “belonging to the Lord” (kuriakos) occurs only here and one other place in the NT. The other instance is 1 Co 11:20 where Paul refers to the “Lord’s Supper” (literally, “the Supper belonging to the Lord”).

Hi Sam
this isn't a point I would want to take a big stand on but would you say that 'kuriakos' is best translated as 'belonging to the Lord'? I think it would better be 'pertaining to the Lord':that could still mean it 'belonged to the Lord' but would leave the interpretation wider.

kuriakos is an adjective, not a genitive form which would definitely be 'of' or 'belonging to the Lord'. If I were inventing language I would translate this 'lord-ish', and would use words like 'kitten-ish', 'child-ish', 'soulish', as my justification.

Incidentally, kuriakos, is where our English word 'church' comes from. It probably always meant the 'building' which pertained to the Lord. The use of the word church was avoided by Tyndale who used congregation but the KJV Anglican translators reverted to 'church'. pity but that's politics for you!

2004/12/10 15:05Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

In Isaiah 58 God promises those who obey His Sabbaths that they will be fed with the heritage of Jacob. Listen again to Isaiah 58:14.

"Then you shall delight yourself in the Lord; and [b]I will cause[/b] you to ride on the high hills of the earth, and [b]feed[/b] you with the [b]heritage of Jacob [/b] your father. [b]The mouth of the Lord has spoken."[/b]

We know that God's words do not return void. We know some of the things that God brought into Jacob's life. Listen to one of these accounts.

Jacob. 28 And he said, Thy name shall be called no more Jacob, but Israel: for as a prince hast thou power with God and with men, and hast prevailed. 29 And Jacob asked him, and said, Tell me, I pray thee, thy name. And he said, Wherefore is it that thou dost ask after my name? And he blessed him there. 30 And Jacob called the name of the place Peniel: for I have seen God face to face, and my life is preserved."

In the King James version, God has given Jacob a new name, Israel. Then listen to these words,"for as a prince hast thou [b]power with God and with men..."[/b]

What is this power? What is the source of Israel's heritage?

In Christ
Jeff

2004/12/10 16:06Profile
Agent001

Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Re:

[b]philologos[/b]

Quote:
this isn't a point I would want to take a big stand on but would you say that 'kuriakos' is best translated as 'belonging to the Lord'? I think it would better be 'pertaining to the Lord':that could still mean it 'belonged to the Lord' but would leave the interpretation wider.

I myself do not have a firm position on this because my knowledge in Greek is very elementary. But your argument makes sense to me.

2004/12/13 11:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy