SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Calvin’s Institutes in a Nutshell

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Re:

Quote:
Aren't we ALL 'children of the devil' apart from God's graciously accepting our attempts to practise righteousness?

Within the context of the testimony of Cain and Abel we find that Abel was the first son of God born of man. What according to Scripture distinguished Abel from Cain?

2011/5/14 15:47Profile

Re: Calvin’s Institutes in a Nutshell

Quote:
Within the context of the testimony of Cain and Abel we find that Abel was the first son of God born of man. What according to Scripture distinguished Abel from Cain?

At the time they were born, absolutely nothing. Cain was born first.

2011/5/14 17:46
rookie

Re:

Quote:

Scripture declares...

1Jo 3:10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God,...

and Who enabled Abel...

1Jo 3:7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.

2011/5/14 19:22Profile

Quote:
1Jo 3:7 Little children, let no one deceive you. He who practices righteousness is righteous, just as He is righteous.

Hi Jeff,

How can you skip past John 3 and Romans 3, and Romans 5, to apply this New Covenant verse to a situation in Genesis?
Quote:
we find that Abel was the first son of God born of man.

If Abel was, then Cain was. They were as flawed spiritually as each other, because their father was Adam.

2011/5/14 19:58
rookie

Re:

Quote:
How can you skip past John 3 and Romans 3, and Romans 5, to apply this New Covenant verse to a situation in Genesis?

The Scriptures declare that Abel is a son of God and Cain is a son of the devil.

1Jo 3:8 He who sins is of the devil, for the devil has sinned from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that He might destroy the works of the devil.

1Jo 3:9 Whoever has been born of God does not sin, for His seed remains in him; and he cannot sin, because he has been born of God.

1Jo 3:10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor [is] he who does not love his brother.

1Jo 3:11 For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another,

1Jo 3:12 not as Cain [who] was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother's righteous.

Quote:
They were as flawed spiritually as each other, because their father was Adam.

According to the Scriptures that I have covered thus far,all men are subject to both the spiritual influence of the Holy Spirit and of the devil. I have not left Romans 1, Proverbs 1, John 1.

What does the following verse mean to you....

Jer 10:23 O LORD, I know the way of man [is] not in himself; [It is] not in man who walks to direct his own steps

2011/5/15 7:06Profile

Quote:
The Scriptures declare that Abel is a son of God and Cain is a son of the devil.

Where?

I can follow the connections you are making on the surface of the page, but where is the connection in your assertions, to the spiritual situation captured in a few words by Paul in Romans 5?

To say, 'Abel is a son of God', quoting 1 John, as if Abel was a son in the same way that I am son, can be supported neither by the narrative in scripture, nor the interpretation put upon scripture by the apostles. That's my simple complaint.

2011/5/15 8:04
rookie

Re:

Quote:
I can follow the connections you are making on the surface of the page, but where is the connection in your assertions,

What does this Scripture say about the works of righteousness and unrighteousness.

1Jo 3:7 Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.

1Jo 3:8 He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.

1Jo 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

1Jo 3:10 ¶ In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother.

1Jo 3:11 For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another.

1Jo 3:12 Not as Cain, [who] was of that wicked one, and slew his brother. And wherefore slew he him? Because his own works were evil, and his brother's righteous.

The Scriptures point to what man is, not what he professes to be. Paul writes this of man...

Rom 8:7 Because the carnal mind [is] enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.

Rom 8:8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.

Likewise...

Jer 10:23 O LORD, I know the way of man [is] not in himself; [It is] not in man who walks to direct his own steps.

2011/5/15 8:38Profile

Hi Jeff,

So, what is the meaning which you draw from this verse?

Jer 10:23 O LORD, I know the way of man [is] not in himself; [It is] not in man who walks to direct his own steps.

2011/5/15 8:56
rookie

Re:

Quote:
So, what is the meaning which you draw from this verse?

I have only begun to explain this beginning with Romans 1, Proverbs 1, John 1, Genesis 4, 1 John 3.

Getting back to 1 John 3... do you understand that works of unrighteousness are born of the devil and works of righteousness are born of God?

2011/5/15 9:34Profile

Quote:
I have only begun to explain this beginning with Romans 1, Proverbs 1, John 1, Genesis 4, 1 John 3.

Rather than linking it to your argument, please just say what you take from it where it is in scripture, as you believe Jeremiah was inspired to pray it. That will help me follow.

I'm interested to know what's in your mind going forward, which caused you to mention that verse in at all.
Quote:
Getting back to 1 John 3... do you understand that works of unrighteousness are born of the devil and works of righteousness are born of God?

I do, in the context John is writing, as an apostle of Jesus Christ in the age of the Church of Jesus Christ as the New Testament describes it - but not in connection with Cain and Abel, as you have declared it.

2011/5/15 13:03

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy