SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Calvin’s Institutes in a Nutshell

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie
Member



Joined: 2003/6/3
Posts: 4803


 Re:

Quote:
2 Thessalonians 2:11 And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should BELIEVE a lie:




Here is an example of those who reject God's grace. Those who refuse God's counsel continually will like Ahab be deceived.



1Ki 22:18 And the king of Israel said to Jehoshaphat, "Did I not tell you he would not prophesy good concerning me, but evil?"

1Ki 22:19 Then [Micaiah] said, "Therefore hear the word of the LORD: I saw the LORD sitting on His throne, and all the host of heaven standing by, on His right hand and on His left.

1Ki 22:20 "And the LORD said, 'Who will persuade Ahab to go up, that he may fall at Ramoth Gilead?' So one spoke in this manner, and another spoke in that manner.

1Ki 22:21 "Then a spirit came forward and stood before the LORD, and said, 'I will persuade him.'

1Ki 22:22 "The LORD said to him, 'In what way?' So he said, 'I will go out and be a lying spirit in the mouth of all his prophets.' And the LORD said, 'You shall persuade [him], and also prevail. Go out and do so.'

1Ki 22:23 "Therefore look! The LORD has put a lying spirit in the mouth of all these prophets of yours, and the LORD has declared disaster against you."

1Ki 22:24 Now Zedekiah the son of Chenaanah went near and struck Micaiah on the cheek, and said, "Which way did the spirit from the LORD go from me to speak to you?"

1Ki 22:25 And Micaiah said, "Indeed, you shall see on that day when you go into an inner chamber to hide!"


_________________
Jeff Marshalek

 2011/5/8 7:33Profile
savannah
Member



Joined: 2008/10/30
Posts: 2051


 Re: Calvin III 21. 3,4



“Scripture is the school of the Holy Spirit, in which, as nothing is omitted that is both necessary and useful to know, so that nothing is taught but what is expedient to know. Therefore we must guard against depriving believers of anything disclosed about predestination in Scripture, lest we either wickedly defraud them of the blessing of their God or to accuse and scoff at the Holy Spirit for having published what it is in any way profitable to suppress...But for those who are so cautious or fearful that they desire to bury predestination in order not to disturb weak souls--with what color will they cloak their arrogance when they accuse God indirectly of stupid thoughtlessness as if he had not foreseen the peril that they feel they have wisely met? Whoever, then, whoever heaps odium upon the doctrine of election reproaches God, as if he had unadvisedly let slip something hurtful to the Church.” - Institutes, III 21. 3,4

 2011/5/8 8:47Profile
rookie
Member



Joined: 2003/6/3
Posts: 4803


 Re:

Quote:
“Scripture is the school of the Holy Spirit, in which, as nothing is omitted that is both necessary and useful to know, so that nothing is taught but what is expedient to know. Therefore we must guard against depriving believers of anything disclosed about predestination in Scripture, lest we either wickedly defraud them of the blessing of their God or to accuse and scoff at the Holy Spirit for having published what it is in any way profitable to suppress...But for those who are so cautious or fearful that they desire to bury predestination in order not to disturb weak souls--with what color will they cloak their arrogance when they accuse God indirectly of stupid thoughtlessness as if he had not foreseen the peril that they feel they have wisely met? Whoever, then, whoever heaps odium upon the doctrine of election reproaches God, as if he had unadvisedly let slip something hurtful to the Church.” - Institutes, III 21. 3,4




I have read this 4 times and struggle to really understand the force behind this thought. I have found Scripture to be sufficient for all doctrine.


How does this post relate to Romans chapters 1 and 8, John 1 and 8, Proverbs 1 and 2, Isaiah 48 and 50, Genesis 1, 1 Corinthians 4, 2 Thessalonians 2, 1 Kings 22?


Again, the post began with the goal of a christian should be to die to self. Paul writes that only those who do the following can.



Rom 8:12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors--not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh.

Rom 8:13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.



Jesus says the same thing...



Jhn 8:32 "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."

Jhn 8:33 They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How [can] You say, 'You will be made free'?"

Jhn 8:34 Jesus answered them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin.

Jhn 8:35 "And a slave does not abide in the house forever, [but] a son abides forever.

Jhn 8:36 "Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.


_________________
Jeff Marshalek

 2011/5/8 14:01Profile
rookie
Member



Joined: 2003/6/3
Posts: 4803


 Re:

Quote:
Jhn 8:33 They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How [can] You say, 'You will be made free'?"




Jesus would continue to identify to whom the religious leaders of His day were in bondage to...



Jhn 8:42 Jesus said to them, "If God were your Father, you would love Me, for I proceeded forth and came from God; nor have I come of Myself, but He sent Me.

Jhn 8:43 "Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word.

Jhn 8:44 "You are of [your] father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own [resources], for he is a liar and the father of it.



In this section of Scripture we find that Jesus identifies two fathers. One is God the other is Satan. Jesus states that if God was their father they would love Him. Then Jesus points to the source of their bondage...


Jhn 8:43 "Why do you not understand My speech? Because you are not able to listen to My word.

...not able to listen to My word...


_________________
Jeff Marshalek

 2011/5/9 6:51Profile
rookie
Member



Joined: 2003/6/3
Posts: 4803


 Re:

Quote:
Jhn 8:44 "You are of [your] father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning,




Jesus says of Satan that "He was a murderer from the beginning." Let us go to Genesis, the book of origins, to understand more clearly Satan's spiritual influence over his children.



Gen 4:1 Now Adam knew Eve his wife, and she conceived and bore Cain, and said, "I have acquired a man from the LORD."

Gen 4:2 Then she bore again, this time his brother Abel. Now Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.

Gen 4:3 And in the process of time it came to pass that Cain brought an offering of the fruit of the ground to the LORD.



Here we have the testimony of the first offspring of man. "In the process of time," both Able and Cain bring an offering before the Lord.


Gen 4:4 Abel also brought of the firstborn of his flock and of their fat. And the LORD respected Abel and his offering,

Gen 4:5 but He did not respect Cain and his offering. And Cain was very angry, and his countenance fell.



We often try to explain why God accepted Abel's offering and not Cain's. Yet, in general, both made an offering. Abel's offering pleased the Lord. Cain's offering was not respected by the Lord. We are told that Cain became "very angry" and that "his countenance fell."


Gen 4:6 So the LORD said to Cain, "Why are you angry? And why has your countenance fallen?

Gen 4:7 "If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire [is] for you, but you should rule over it."


The Lord speaks to Cain, "If you do well, will you not be accepted?"


In the process of time, the Lord was not pleased with Cain, yet the Lord does not reject Cain as a child, but exhorts him to repent.

This is the first example given to us in Scripture of what both Paul and Solomon write of in chapters one of Romans and Proverbs. This testimony of the lives of Cain and Abel represent a foundational truth found through the entirety of Scripture.


Jhn 1:4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
Jhn 1:9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world. [fn]


_________________
Jeff Marshalek

 2011/5/10 7:00Profile
rookie
Member



Joined: 2003/6/3
Posts: 4803


 Re:

Quote:
Gen 4:7 "If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire [is] for you, but you should rule over it."




God says to Cain, "If you do well, will you not be accepted?"

Paul teaches in Romans 1 this precept...

Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith." [fn]

In the process of time we find that those who live by faith will experience the revelation of God's righteousness, experience by experience. We know that faith is created by God in us in this way...


Rom 10:17 So then faith [comes] by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.


So again, God says to Cain..."If you do well, will you not be accepted?"


_________________
Jeff Marshalek

 2011/5/11 7:18Profile
rookie
Member



Joined: 2003/6/3
Posts: 4803


 Re:

Quote:
Gen 4:7 "If you do well, will you not be accepted? And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door. And its desire [is] for you, but you should rule over it.




After God exhorts Cain, He gives this warning to him...

"And if you do not do well, sin lies at the door."

This reminds me of this Scripture...

Mat 6:13 And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one...


_________________
Jeff Marshalek

 2011/5/12 6:54Profile
rookie
Member



Joined: 2003/6/3
Posts: 4803


 Re:

Quote:
And its desire [is] for you,



In the King James it is written this way...


Gen 4:7 If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee [shall be] his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

"And unto thee (shall be) his desire..."


Peter speaks of this thought in this way...


1Pe 5:8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour


So in this Scripture, we find that God gives Cain, both a choice and the knowledge of the consequences of each choice.


_________________
Jeff Marshalek

 2011/5/13 6:34Profile
rookie
Member



Joined: 2003/6/3
Posts: 4803


 Re:

Quote:
So in this Scripture, we find that God gives Cain, both a choice and the knowledge of the consequences of each choice.




So what testimony are we given in Scripture of Cain's choice and the consequences of that choice.



Gen 4:8 Now Cain talked with Abel his brother; [fn] and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother and killed him.

Gen 4:9 Then the LORD said to Cain, "Where [is] Abel your brother?" He said, "I do not know. [Am] I my brother's keeper?"

Gen 4:10 And He said, "What have you done? The voice of your brother's blood cries out to Me from the ground.

Gen 4:11 "So now you [are] cursed from the earth, which has opened its mouth to receive your brother's blood from your hand.

Gen 4:12 "When you till the ground, it shall no longer yield its strength to you. A fugitive and a vagabond you shall be on the earth."

Gen 4:13 And Cain said to the LORD, "My punishment [is] greater than I can bear!

Gen 4:14 "Surely You have driven me out this day from the face of the ground; I shall be hidden from Your face; I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond on the earth, and it will happen [that] anyone who finds me will kill me."

Gen 4:15 And the LORD said to him, "Therefore, [fn] whoever kills Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold." And the LORD set a mark on Cain, lest anyone finding him should kill him.



We are given this testimony of why Cain killed Abel. This is a foundational precept found throughout the Scriptures...




1Jo 3:10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor [is] he who does not love his brother.

1Jo 3:11 For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another,

1Jo 3:12 not as Cain [who] was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother's righteous.



So we find that Cain, like the religious leaders of John chapter 8 became "children of the devil."


_________________
Jeff Marshalek

 2011/5/14 8:34Profile









 Re: Calvin’s Institutes in a Nutshell


Quote:
1Jo 3:10 In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor [is] he who does not love his brother.

1Jo 3:11 For this is the message that you heard from the beginning, that we should love one another,

1Jo 3:12 not as Cain [who] was of the wicked one and murdered his brother. And why did he murder him? Because his works were evil and his brother's righteous.



So we find that Cain, like the religious leaders of John chapter 8 became "children of the devil."



Aren't we ALL 'children of the devil' apart from God's graciously accepting our attempts to practise righteousness?

 2011/5/14 10:44





©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy