SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Calvin’s Institutes in a Nutshell

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
rookie

Re:

Sis wrote:

God Himself is un-created Light.

I believe this Scripture speaks to the nature of the light in Genesis 1:3...

Jhn 1:3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.
Jhn 1:4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.
Jhn 1:5 And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend [fn] it.

also...

Jhn 1:9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world. [fn]
Jhn 1:10 He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him.

2011/4/25 14:50Profile
savannah

Re: Calvin's Institutes

For those not familiar with Calvin's Institutes or his Commentaries,and his numerous other writings,I can assure you that he, as well as many others of like mind as him, very much so believed in the 'power of God' and the Holy Spirit.

Rookie wrote,

"I did not see mentioned the "power of God" in the article posted. It reminds me of the purpose driven life version 1."

Rookie,what have you read by Calvin other than some quotes here and there. Please be specific. To compare him to Rick Warren shows much ignorance on your part.

"We must remember that Christ came provided with the Holy Spirit after a peculiar manner – namely, that he might separate us from the world, and unite us in the hope of an eternal inheritance. Hence, the Spirit is called the Spirit of sanctification, because he quickens and cherishes us, not merely by the general energy which is seen in the human race… but because he is the seed and root of heavenly life in us…. He is called the “Spirit of adoption,” because he is witness to us of the free favor with which God the Father embraced us in his well-beloved and only-begotten Son, so as to become our Father, and give us boldness of access to him… so that we can boldly cry, “Abba, Father.” For the same reason, he is said to have “sealed us, and given us the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts,” because, as pilgrims in the world, and persons in a manner dead, he so quickens us from above as to assure us that our salvation is safe in the keeping of a faithful God. Hence, also, the Spirit is said to be “life because of righteousness.”

Since it is his secret irrigation that makes us bud forth and produce the fruits of righteousness, he is repeatedly described as water…. As those sprinkled with the Spirit are restored to the full vigour of life, he hence obtains the names of Oil and Unction. As he is constantly employed in subduing and destroying the vices of our concupiscence, and inflaming our hearts with the love of God and piety, he hence receives the name of Fire.

In fine, he is described to us as a Fountain, whence all heavenly riches flow to us; or as the Hand by which God exerts his power, because by his divine inspiration he so breathes divine life into us, that we are no longer acted upon by ourselves, but ruled by his motion and agency, so that everything good in us is the fruit of his grace…." (Institutes, 3.1.2)

Rookie wrote,

"Only by the Spirit can man know and do, anything less, man finds himself under the curse of the Law."

Calvin wrote much on the this and numerous other subjects. Calvin's Commentaries should by no means be overlooked.

I don't write these things to make Calvin some sort of idol. I could just as well mention Spurgeon and his writngs,and many others, without making more of the men than what we ought.

Even Jacobus Arminius, the man from whose name comes those called arminians, had this to say of Calvin's Commentaries;

"Next to the study of the Scriptures I exhort my pupils to pursue Calvin's commentaries, which I extol in loftier terms than Helmick himself (Helmick was a Dutch theologian); for I affirm that he excels beyond comparison in the interpretation of Scripture, and that his commentaries ought to be more highly valued than all that is handed down to us by the library of the fathers; so that I acknowledge him to have possessed above most others, as rather above all other men, what may be called an eminent gift of prophecy."

That being said, now here are some of the many writings on the Holy Spirit,from men who'd be of the same mind as Calvin.

The Distinguishing Marks of a Work of the Spirit of God Jonathan Edwards

The Ministry of the Spirit in Discerning the Will of God J.I. Packer

The New Genesis: The Holy Spirit and Regeneration R.C. Sproul

The Necessity of the Use of Means in the Spirit's Work of Monergistic Regeneration JW Hendryx

The Work of the Holy Spirit in our Salvation - Part 1 Thomas Goodwin

The Work of the Holy Spirit in our Salvation - Part 2 Thomas Goodwin

“Where the Spirit of God is, there is Power”: An introduction to Spurgeon's Teaching on the Holy Spirit Michael Haykin

The Holy Spirit and Hermeneutics Daniel B. Wallace

Work of the Holy Spirit by Abraham Kuyper

The Necessity of the Spirit's Work Charles Spurgeon

The Work of the Holy Spirit Charles Spurgeon

How are Believers Guided into All Truth John Owen

The Holy Spirit's Illumination of Scripture Alwyn York

The Role of the Holy Spirit in Conversion John Piper

The Ministry of the Holy Spirit Don Matzat

The Holy Spirit's Work in Salvation Arthur W. Pink

Baptism and the Spirit Peter J. Leithart

The Illumination of the Holy Spirit & Theological Traditionalism Dr. C. Matthew McMahon

The Illumination of the Holy Spirit Bernie Gillespie

The Role of the Holy Spirit in Hermeneutics Roy B. Zuck

The Work of the Spirit as the Spirit of Prayer James Buchanan

The Holy Spirit’s Work in Bringing Sinners to Faith in Christ John Owen - Reversing the Curse

The Work of the Spirit as the Spirit of Holiness James Buchanan

The Office and Work of the Holy Spirit James Buchanan

"Little children, guard yourselves from idols. Amen."

2011/4/25 23:47Profile
rookie

Re:

Savannah wrote:

"Rookie,what have you read by Calvin other than some quotes here and there. Please be specific. To compare him to Rick Warren shows much ignorance on your part."

In the post that initiated this thread, I saw no mention of the power of God. So I stated what Paul sought to be very clear about how one becomes a pilgrim in this world.

Throughout the full counsel of God, the Holy Scriptures, we find a continual theme of one generation experiencing revival followed by generations falling away to "purpose driven religion." The fruit of this man made religion always manifests itself in legalism. And legalism always leads to a spirit of condemnation by those who suffer existence without the Spirit of God.

Savannah you are right in your observation though. I am ignorant of Calvin's writings as well as all the other books you have posted. Solomon wrote of this too...

Ecc 12:12 And further, my son, be admonished by these. Of making many books [there is] no end, and much study [is] wearisome to the flesh.

A part of the promise of the new covenant is this....

Hbr 8:11 "None of them shall teach his neighbor, and none his brother, saying, 'Know the LORD,' for all shall know Me, from the least of them to the greatest of them.

We can only sow and water, but it is God who gives the increase. This is the point about that I have participated in this thread thus far.

2011/4/26 7:14Profile
rookie

Re:

So we find that Christ, the light of life, is the means by which the Father is reconciling the world to Himself.

Jesus declares:

Jhn 8:12 Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, "I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life."

Just prior to this statement Jesus commanded the woman who was caught in adultery...

Jhn 8:11... "Neither do I condemn you; go and [fn] sin no more."

Jesus tells her to sin no more. He promises her and all the others that have gathered around this event that if one follows Him one will not walk in darkness.

So we see that light and darkness speak of the spiritual world and not the world that is seen. We see that light and darkness have coexisted from the foundation of this world.

2011/4/27 7:29Profile

Re: Calvin’s Institutes in a Nutshell

Quote:
We see that light and darkness have coexisted from the foundation of this world.

We see too, that God who is light, always had control of darkness.

Luke 10:18 And he said unto them, I beheld Satan as lightning fall from heaven.

Ezekiel 28:17 Thine heart was lifted up because of thy beauty, thou hast corrupted thy wisdom by reason of thy brightness:

I will cast thee to the ground, I will lay thee before kings, that they may behold thee.

18 Thou hast defiled thy sanctuaries by the multitude of thine iniquities, by the iniquity of thy traffick;

therefore will I bring forth a fire from the midst of thee, it shall devour thee, and I will bring thee to ashes upon the earth in the sight of all them that behold thee.

19 All they that know thee among the people shall be astonished at thee:

thou shalt be a terror, and never [shalt] thou [be] any more.

2011/4/27 8:10
rookie

Re:

Quote:
We see too, that God who is light, always had control of darkness.

Yes, this precept is found throughout Scripture. The book of Job is a clear example.

As a side note to the Scriptures you posted in Ezekiel 28.

We see that the nature of Lucifer is transfered to the King of Tyre. In other words, the King of Tyre has been transformed into the image of his father Lucifer.

This precept can be found through out the Scriptures also.

2011/4/27 8:42Profile
rookie

Re:

Quote:
So we see that light and darkness speak of the spiritual world and not the world that is seen. We see that light and darkness have coexisted from the foundation of this world.

Paul writes of the light...

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
Rom 1:19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown [it] to them.

Paul declares that God has extended this light to men. And we know that according to Scripture,

Jhn 1:3 All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made.
Jhn 1:4 In Him was life, and the life was the light of men.

Jhn 1:9 That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world. [fn]

Paul then teaches...

Rom 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible [attributes] are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

So we find that all men are "without excuse." For God has shown them the light through the work of His Son.

Scripture in another place declares...

Pro 1:7 The fear of the LORD [is] the beginning of knowledge, [But] fools despise wisdom and instruction.

2011/4/28 10:15Profile
rookie

Re:

I believe we often do not understand the contents of this Scripture...

Rom 1:20 For since the creation of the world His invisible [attributes] are clearly seen, being understood by the things that are made, [even] His eternal power and Godhead, so that they are without excuse,

I have heard many a preacher refer to the physical creation as the means by which man may know that there is a God. But this in not what the verse actually says. In the following words, "being understood by the things that are made" refers to mankind.

The verse preceding identifies the subject who receives revelation..." being understood by the things that are made",

Rom 1:18 For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who suppress the truth in unrighteousness,
Rom 1:19 because what may be known of God is manifest in them, for God has shown [it] to them.

It is God who has shown men "what may be know of God." And all men are thus without excuse.

2011/4/29 8:32Profile
Josef83

Sweden

Re:

I have read some parts of Calvins works.
His works are plenty and very tough to read it all.
The difference between him and Luther was that Calvin wrote down systematiclly what the reformers where teaching.
Luther never did thats why its really hard to know what Luther actually did belive. Because he write different works.
In his works "the boundage of the free will" he clearly teaches predestination. That he wrote as a reply against synergism.

Calvin also is not the author of the 5 points of calvinism.
That came later as a reply to Arminius view.

But Calvin was a great theologian by his works on the sovereignty of God.

Somebody said something about infant baptism?
- Yes Calvin taught that infant baptism is like circumsition. when you get sprinkled by water you are a member of the covernant.
But this was only for infants of born again parents.
Adults that where new belivers ought to be baptized as adults.

He spent his life devoted to help people and counceling them.
He sacrificed his life to talk some sence into Servetus that was a heretic and sentanced to death by rome.
Calvin went there to visit him in the prison and try to convince him to change his view of the trinity.
When he refused Calvin could not save him anymore.

The testimonies of Beza about Calvins life is worth reading.

2011/4/29 9:14Profile
rookie

Re:

Quote:
Calvin went there to visit him in the prison and try to convince him to change his view of the trinity.
When he refused Calvin could not save him anymore.

The Holy Scriptures teach that it is the power of God that saves, men can only sow and water. What do you believe we can learn of God's attributes and how He deals with man in the following verses...

Rom 1:17 For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith; as it is written, "The just shall live by faith." [fn]

Rom 1:21 because, although they knew God, they did not glorify [Him] as God, nor were thankful, but became futile in their thoughts, and their foolish hearts were darkened.

Rom 1:22 Professing to be wise, they became fools,

2011/4/29 9:26Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy