SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Controversy surrounds Mormonism comments by Fuller exec.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Controversy surrounds Mormonism comments by Fuller exec.

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/may/featured_news.gif[/img]

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (BP)--Evangelical Christian leaders and experts on Mormonism have expressed dismay at recent comments made by Fuller Theological Seminary President Richard Mouw at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints' "signature pulpit" in Salt Lake City.

Mouw spoke briefly Nov. 14 during the second night of a three-part series titled "Evening of Friendship," which was sponsored by Standing Together Ministries, an evangelical Christian group headquartered in Lehi, Utah. The main speaker for the nightly lecture series was noted Christian apologist Ravi Zacharias.

According to articles published in the Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune as well as transcript of the speech provided by Mouw, he apologized at the event for evangelical Christians' misrepresentation of the Mormon beliefs.

The last evangelical to speak at the Tabernacle, according to reports, was 19th-century preacher D.L. Moody.

2004/11/25 21:33Profile
dougkristen

Re: Controversy surrounds Mormonism comments by Fuller exec.

Quote:
According to articles published in the Deseret News and Salt Lake Tribune as well as transcript of the speech provided by Mouw, he apologized at the event for evangelical Christians' misrepresentation of the Mormon beliefs.

Do you know where we can get a copy of this speech transcript? I wonder how biased the media was in Utah since I belive 80% of people living in Utah are Mormons. Mormons are deceived and I would not doubt if this is biased in a negative way towards evangelical Christians.

Grace,
Doug

2004/11/25 23:15Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re: Controversy surrounds Mormonism comments by Fuller exec.

Thanks for letting us know. Two questions.

First, what [i]exactly[/i] did Mr.Mouw say, with as much context as is reasonable and possible?

Second, does Standing Together Ministries and/or Mr. Zacharias approve of Mr. Mouw's comments?

2004/11/25 23:24Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:

I am convinced that Mormonism's roots and some current practice is demonic. I, also, would like to know what Mr Mouw has 'apologized for'.

2004/11/26 4:01Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Do you know where we can get a copy of this speech transcript?

Thats a great idea, I will look around for the possibilities of obtaining this. I wonder if D.L. Moody's speech 80 years ago is persevered in short hand?

2004/11/26 10:38Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Just found this from Ravi's site:

[url=http://www.rzim.org/faqs/newstext.php?id=62]http://www.rzim.org/faqs/newstext.php?id=62[/url]

Another link at the end of the article...

2004/11/26 10:42Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Sorry, multitasking... here is another:

[url=http://www.rzim.org/faqs/newstext.php?id=63]http://www.rzim.org/faqs/newstext.php?id=63[/url]

2004/11/26 11:09Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

There are a few more details on the Christianity Today website.

2004/11/26 15:05Profile
KeithLaMothe

Re:

The full comments are not available (for free, at least), but the CT article did have a few quotes (from Mr. Mouw, I believe) :

"Let me state it clearly. We evangelicals have sinned against you."

"We've often seriously misrepresented the beliefs and practices of members of the LDS faith."

"It's a terrible thing to bear false witness. … We've told you what you believe without first asking you."

"I'm not being melodramatic when I say this is an historic occasion."

"I remain convinced there are serious issues of difference that are of eternal consequence, but now we can discuss them as friends."

I can agree with all 5 statements (though I'll have to take his word for it on the 4th, but that's not a particularly controversial one), and I'm glad he said the 5th, at least making somewhat clear that he isn't receiving the Mormon's as brethren in the sense that he thinks their going to heaven or anything like that.

We have, no doubt, misrepresented the doctrine of the Mormons to some extent, particularly since there are two branches of that group. If Mr. Zacharias and the others thought that this kind of meeting and the kind of statements they made to be in line with the will of God in the matter, I won't necessarily say they were incorrect. Humbling oneself in repentance before an enemy that one has wronged is certainly in accordance with Scripture, my only concern is that the newfound friendliness not be misconstrued as support to the false idea that Mormons and Evangelicals are both right with God (one group or the other is deadly wrong, my position is that it's the Mormons).

Lord, guide us as we tread the minefield...

2004/11/26 23:44Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Well said.

My sentiments as well.

2004/11/27 0:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy