SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Inspiration from Ecclesiastes

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Ecclesiastes 2:12-17 NASB

Ecclesiastes 2:12-17 NASB

12 So I turned to consider wisdom, madness and folly; for what will the man do who will come after the king except what has already been done?

13 And I saw that wisdom excels folly as light excels darkness.

14 The wise man’s eyes are in his head, but the fool walks in darkness. And yet I know that one fate befalls them both.

15 Then I said to myself, “As is the fate of the fool, it will also befall me. Why then have I been extremely wise?” So I said to myself, “This too is vanity.”

16 For there is no lasting remembrance of the wise man as with the fool, inasmuch as in the coming days all will be forgotten. And how the wise man and the fool alike die!

17 So I hated life, for the work which had been done under the sun was grievous to me; because everything is futility and striving after wind.

COMMENT:

Just what good does wisdom do a body?

Both the fool and the wise die. And are buried.

And in time no one will remember the wise person. His memory recedes into the misty arena of forgottenness, just like the fool.

It is true that wisdom excels folly, but when all is said and done, what lasting value is in it?

We want to make a difference in life, one that will succeed in making the world a better place that when you were born.

But you know what? It ain't a bit better now then it was when I was born; if anything, worse. So, what have I accomplish in my sojourn of 64 years? [EDIT] Many wiser men then me have lived and are living, yet it is no better.

Do I consider life, my work grievous? Perhaps if I am doing it to make a name or hope to do something that impresses people....is this my goal? Solomon says it is vanity and striving after wind.

"Striving after wind" - one can never catch it, can never see it, but you can see its effects. If it is a strong one, it brings destruction. If it is a breeze, it will pollinate flowers, producing fruit and seeds...Still, you can never catch it nor hoard it for future use. So is wisdom.

What do I expect to accomplish today? and for what reason? and purpose?

2011/4/19 10:25Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Many wiser men then me have lived and are living, yet it is no better.

More commentary on this observation.

My generation is so very intelligent, or at least they think so. I have heard great minds work to understand the complexities of life, the mysteries of the WORD, reasoning and thinking more. All acting very wise, believing they got it all figured out with the end result being that they think they know better then God what man should do or be.

And you now have apostasy.

All because men think they are so wise.

2011/4/19 10:32Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Ecclesiastes 2:18-23 NASB

Ecclesiastes 2:18-23 NASB

18 Thus I hated all the fruit of my labor for which I had labored under the sun, for I must leave it to the man who will come after me.

19 And who knows whether he will be a wise man or a fool? Yet he will have control over all the fruit of my labor for which I have labored by acting wisely under the sun. This too is vanity.

20 Therefore I completely despaired of all the fruit of my labor for which I had labored under the sun.

21 When there is a man who has labored with wisdom, knowledge and skill, then he gives his legacy to one who has not labored with them. This too is vanity and a great evil.

22 For what does a man get in all his labor and in his striving with which he labors under the sun?

23 Because all his days his task is painful and grievous; even at night his mind does not rest. This too is vanity

COMMENT:

The question Solomon asks "what advantage does man have in all his work? is reiterated here.

Solomon says "I have worked hard with wisdom, knowledge and skill to create all these things, but for what good? The man who comes after me has not worked with them (or shown any interest in them?)" ...implying he is ignorant in knowing how to care for all these things which means they will likely go to pot.

Solomon worked hard, he acted wisely. He laid awake at nights pondering whether the man who comes after him will be a wise man or a fool.

Who will benefit from my hard work? Who will be able to maintain it? and I worked so hard and no one else is interested enough in it. (Then he leaves his legacy to one who has not labored with them.)

Two important points:
1. In training children, parents need to bring their children alongside them and teach them the value of work and how to progress on with it after your demise. (Last week my 56 YO cousin died unexpectedly. Just two weeks earlier he sat down with his sons and explained to them all about his business, how it works..at the time they thought it odd but now consider this act Providential.)

2. How many times will our gifts be appreciated? If someone has not worked for it, will it be respected and revered? Will they know how to care for it and maintain it?

So, then, what good does all my work?

2011/4/21 11:09Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: Ecclesiastes 2:18-23 NASB

""So, then, what good does all my work?""

I guess that depends on who we work for and where our treasure is.

In Christ: Phillip

2011/4/21 14:35Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Ecclesiastes 2:24-26 NASB

""So, then, what good does all my work?""

Phillip wrote:

Quote:
I guess that depends on who we work for and where our treasure is.

And this is exactly what the next verses teach us. Let us take a look!

Ecclesiastes 2:24-26 NAS

24 There is nothing better for a man than to eat and drink and tell himself that his labor is good. This also I have seen that it is from the hand of God.

25 For who can eat and who can have enjoyment without Him?

26 For to a person who is good in His sight He has given wisdom and knowledge and joy, while to the sinner He has given the task of gathering and collecting so that he may give to one who is good in God’s sight. This too is vanity and striving after wind.

COMMENT:

Aaahh...doing it with God and for God! that is where the delight enters in. Makes everything worthwhile.

When God is involved in your work it produces satisfaction, pleasure on the personal level. There is no drudgery. To understand that God is interested in our work, that our work reflects Him bring honor and glory to Him!

Working without God brings a lot of drudgery. One feels like he is spinning his wheels for - who? Someone else...

How to be content is a lost art in our world of excessive consumerism. That is not where God is and it produces depression because you will never have enough; obsession with collecting is an indication of dissatisfaction..

In my walk with the LORD I noticed a wonderful blessing bestowed upon me: the blessing of creativity. I am one born with none whatsoever - I am dreadfully practical, all the way. However, as I grow in my walk I am finding that God is giving me the ability to think outside the box and figure out how things can be made beautiful. And in the process there is so much pleasure and joy. And I know this all comes from God - I ain't got it naturally.

In my work in the GHs, I get so tired and it becomes a drudgery. Then I recall how God led us to this business and the opportunities to witness to the public...ahhh. Then I remember this is the forum upon which God placed me to minister to those that need encouragement - and how wonderful this is! Since my emotions run out of gas quickly, I must get a daily refill to enable me to go on...

Work is a delight, a joy, a pleasure when you are yoked up with Him!

2011/4/22 11:35Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Ecclesiastes 3:1,2 NASB

Ecclesiastes 3:1,2 NASB

1 There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven—

2 A time to give birth and a time to die;
A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.

COMMENT:

In v. 2-9 the writer discusses issues, none of which involve sin, but things we confront in life: do I do it this way or that? When a body is young and naive, one believes that he has life all sorted out and knows exactly how things are and should be done ALWAYS, will sometime find himself at a crossroads, not knowing for sure which road to take. And you will find that sometimes you do one thing and at times the opposite will be done - and it is right for the moment and the future. The following verses are clear that one cannot with any certainty say "I always do...this way!" like as though it is an absolute. If this is your mentality you will eventually find yourself in a place where you will do the unthinkable.

There is a time for everything...

A time to give birth....once conception has occurred there will be a birth, whether it will be alive or dead, there will be a birth. You cannot wish it away. A female body has only a limited time in which it can conceive and birth a child. Yes, there is a time and not a time when it can happen. God ordained it to be so - and he is so very wise...many seniors are ever so thankful it is such.

There is a time to die...Oh, a controversial topic. Yes, there is a time to die. It is unavoidable, it is certain. Man works to postpone it but it is inevitable. Since this is the case one must prepare himself for this inevitability.

How much resources are expended to prevent this from happening? It is shameful, is it not? My sister, who is an RN, informs me how so many patients are confined to the ICU in the hospital with no chance of recovery...and who pays for this care and the meds? Is it right to expect others to pay for something that has no chance of recovery? Where is God in all this mix? Why is it so difficult to lay this before the heavenly throne and tell God you surrender this persons' well-being to his care? Are we so afraid God will choose to take this life? And if you are ready to go, why fight it? Are you uncertain about your salvation?

On the other hand, no violence is done to take meds to make life comfortable. "Take a little wine for your stomach's sake" so says Paul to Timothy....and Osteo Bi-Flex does work to ease arthritic pain...:-)

Yes, there is a time for birthing and a time to die....when this reality sinks into our consciousness it will make a huge difference in how we view life and take it seriously, that we are here for only a short time and for a purpose. And what is that? Are we squandering our life in selfish pursuits? Or, are we living to please God? to walk with Him?

2011/4/26 9:27Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Ecclesiastes 3:3 NASB

Ecclesiastes 3:3 NASB

3 A time to kill and a time to heal;
A time to tear down and a time to build up.

COMMENT:

Life has provided us with an object lesson on this principle yesterday and within the recent two weeks when a rash of storms laced with tornadoes swept through the south, including our area.

God allowed these tornadoes to rip up, tear down and scatter. Living through something like this makes one think seriously about his standing before a holy and righteous God. I would guess most of these people that died because of the storm had no idea their lives would be shortened before the day was out. And so it can be for anyone. Storms are not a respecter of persons, wealth or privilege: it is an equal destroyer.

Did I panic yesterday when told a tornado was headed our way? My DH said I did. I think I was just being sensible in that I wanted to get out NOW and down't want to be here when it came. And it came, roared over our town and touching down in the countryside destroying grain bins, etc.

A time to heal. God will be there to heal those who suffered emotional trauma if they want it. And it all begins by making certain you have all your sins under the blood. No other means will work in the long term.

And there were many incidents where God's protecting hand kept people from injuries. Here are two:

1. Our DIL got the call from the school that she needed to get the children NOW because a tornado is coming. She did but upon leaving decided to take another road, a gravel road west instead of heading south like she always did. Had she gone south she could have driven almost into it (It touched down several hundred feet east of this road.). This tornado scattered tin along the road moments later, right were she was.

2. A tornado struck Scooba, MS. The weather service called a school at Geiger, AL warning them that it is headed their way and that they had only 8 minutes to evacuate. They did and 8 minutes later the tornado ripped off the roof of this building.

Storms gives God an opportunity to manifest his care for his creatures. When things go well, we take it all for granted. Human nature.

God is good, even in the middle of storms.

2011/4/28 9:57Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Ecclesiastes 3:4-6 NASB

Ecclesiastes 3:4-6 NASB

4 A time to weep and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn and a time to dance.

5 A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.

6 A time to search and a time to give up as lost;
A time to keep and a time to throw away.

COMMENT:

The past week we had so much drama that it provided us with a different perspective of these verses, something that would not have occurred without it.

A time to weep; a time to search and a time to give up as lost; a time to keep and a time to throw away.

What do we need to throw away? or give up as lost? When should a person laugh? or, when is it inappropriate?

As we viewed the destruction caused by the tornadoes I get the sense that God cares nothing for material things. Buildings shredded, debris everywhere. Yet, in the midst of the shredding process there are stories of God's protection of people, so marvelous that it defies any explanation other then divine intervention. But then, not all experienced it. So, how can one explain that? But such is life and it is a waste of energy to try to understand.

Time to keep and a time to throw away - a time to relinquish our hold on what we consider dear so we can reevaluate what really is important. Things do not last, but souls do.

In the midst of all this people are becoming so much aware of their own mortality and the endtimes, like one older gentleman told me, "what happened is what I have been told would since I was a young boy." "What is that?" I asked. "That these things will happen in the end times, just before Jesus returns."

Perhaps we needed this reminder about the fragility of material things...big strong structures pushed over like toothpicks...

Yes, all of us have a tornado story and it is good for us...

2011/4/30 18:15Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Ecclesiastes 3:7 NASB

Ecclesiastes 3:7 NASB

7A time to tear apart and a time to sew together;
A time to be silent and a time to speak.

COMMENT:

These verses - a time to and a time to- opposites, both true depending on circumstances. This should make us aware that there are things that are not absolute and we do well to live this way, kind of knocks the props out from under your opinions and/or way of doing things.

Now, a time to shut up and a time to speak. Or, if you want to say it nicer, a time to listen and a time to speak.

Listening. How well do we listen? It is by listening that one can speak wisely, speak with grace empowered by the Holy Spirit. How many times do we listen with our emotions and respond accordingly? and we get into trouble? Some people do not have the speaking skills that others do and can easily be misunderstood, so clarification is essential for good communication. So, how well do I listen? Do I listen with my spirit and mind? Makes a huge difference on how well you respond when this is done.

Another aspect of speaking....sometimes it just plain ain't appropriate to speak, even when you know what is up or down. You know that speaking will evoke a firestorm of a sorts so how should one respond? At CPC we were given wise counsel: "Choose your battles wisely, not all things are worth fighting for or against." This can only become a rule in our heart when the Holy Spirit dwells there.

Thank God for wise counsel....

2011/5/2 9:58Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Ecclesiastes 3:9-11 NASB

Ecclesiastes 3:9-11 NASB

9 What profit is there to the worker from that in which he toils?

10 I have seen the task which God has given the sons of men with which to occupy themselves.

11 He has made everything appropriate in its time. He has also set eternity in their heart, yet so that man will not find out the work which God has done from the beginning even to the end.

COMMENT:

Once again, why am I here for? In chapter 1:13 the writer informs us, " I set my mind to seek and explore by wisdom concerning all that has been done under heaven. It is a grievous task which God has given to the sons of men to be afflicted with."

These questions about life, reason for living is God given. He wants us to ask, to search and experience a sense of frustration with our ignorance. Only when we have arrived at this point in our knowledge will one be receptive to his revelation.

God set eternity in our hearts is a fascinating concept! It is the sense that perhaps there is a beginning somewhere and there certainly must be more to life after the physical death one sees all around us. People seems to know, hence the search for meaning. Even the most primitive cultures have a sense of a supreme being who controls what man cannot.

Ahh, God is so wise...it is when man works to justify his sin that he turns a deaf ear to the obvious...(I heard something similar a few days ago when discussing the tornadoes that ravished parts of the south....the speaker worked to discount the divine implications of these storms, in contrast to many who say that God is warning us...) God does uses nature to speak to us - if we want to see and hear .
EDITED for clarity

2011/5/3 16:25Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy