SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Looking for free sermon messages?
Sermon Podcast | Audio | Video

Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Sabbath Keeping - Part II - The NEW Testament

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
libertad

Sabbath Keeping - Part II - The NEW Testament

Today we are going to look at Jesus' treatment of the Sabbath.

At that time Jesus went on the sabbath day through the corn; (Matthew 12:1a)

We already have a problem here, don't we? He is travelling on the Sabbath.

and his disciples were an hungred, and began to pluck the ears of corn, and to eat. (Matthew 12:1b )

But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day. (Matthew 12:2 )

But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him; (Matthew 12:3)

How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests? (Matthew 12:4)

Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless? (Matthew 12:5)

What does Jesus mean, "They are blameless?"

They kindle a fire, they carry firewood in, they cut the throats of animals, they do things that are a violation of the Sabbath, and are blameless.

Jesus' argument is that there were exceptions to the Sabbath Keeping in the Old Testament to and God permitted the exceptions. There were exceptions to the laws and God permitted the exceptions. The Pharisees would have to agree with Jesus since they knew what about those exceptions.

Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless? (Matthew 12:5)

But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple. (Matthew 12:6)

So, He is arguing from authority here. Something that is in more authority than the law and the temple. But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless. For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day. (Matthew 12:7-8)

That is pretty bold. His disciples are breaking the Sabbath and He tells them there are exceptions to the Sabbath and there is something greater than the Sabbath and He is standing here right in front of you. "I am Lord, even of the Sabbath Day".

That was pretty much blasphemy to the Pharisees. People have been put to death for many centuries for violating the Sabbath and He is standing in front of them and saying that they (his disciples) can violate it because I am Lord of it (the sabbath).

That was a terrible shock to the Pharisees and this was the kind of thing that ultimately got Jesus put to death.

In Mark 2:27, Jesus adds to this when He says, "The sabbath was made for man and not man for the sabbath, therefore the Son of Man is also, Lord of the Sabbath."

In John 5:8, He commands a man to take up his bed and walk in violation of the Sabbath. There was a prohibition against the law of carrying any kind of burden and they get upset and angry at Him because he commanded a man to get up and carry his bed on the Sabbath.

Jesus never preached a sermon and made any big deal over the Sabbath. And Jesus never kept the Sabbath day the way it was supposed to be kept. So then, in the strictest sense, according to the law, He never kept the Sabbath Day. He would have been stoned if He was living in Old Testament times. Actually, until His death, He was living in OT times and they did want to stone Him. Even though Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are part of the New Testament in the Bible (our book), it is really still the Old Testament era. The New Testament did not start until Jesus died and was resurrected and the Church was born.

Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? (John 10:32)

You will notice when you read the Scriptures that every occurrence in Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, where Jesus healed on the Sabbath, the Pharisees sought to accuse Him of breaking the Sabbath. Even the witnesses of Jesus' time say that He did not keep the Sabbath. Take a look in John 9:16a.

John 9:16a Therefore said some of the Pharisees, This man is not of God, because he keepeth not the sabbath day.

There are those who will tell you that He kept the Sabbath and so should we, but the Scriptures reveal that when it came to the Laws of the Sabbath, He constantly broke them. The fact that He went up to the synagogue on the Sabbath does not mean that He kept the Sabbath, it just means He knew where the Jews would be and it would be a good opportunity to preach to them.

Let's close with this verse, again.

But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless. For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.

Not only is He Lord of the sabbath day, but He is our Sabbath Day...everyday. He is our Sabbath-Rest, wherein we have ceased from our own labors (works of righteousness). We will cover this more, later.

Part III we will cover what the Apostle's treatment of the Sabbath was.

2011/1/31 23:02Profile
enduretoend

Re: Sabbath Keeping - Part II - The NEW Testament

Quote:
Jesus never preached a sermon and made any big deal over the Sabbath.

And Jesus never kept the Sabbath day the way it was supposed to be kept. So then, in the strictest sense, according to the law, He never kept the Sabbath Day. He would have been stoned if He was living in Old Testament times. Actually, until His death, He was living in OT times and they did want to stone Him.

Even though Matthew, Mark, Luke and John are part of the New Testament in the Bible (our book), it is really still the Old Testament era. The New Testament did not start until Jesus died and was resurrected and the Church was born.

And "Sabbath Keepers" today, do not keep it in the strictest sense as depicted in the OT. It is impossible. You cannot talk about anything for 24 hours except the things of God.

Funny how the Pharisees always criticized Him about doing things on the Sabbath.

Good point, about the OT still in effect until Jesus died and "signed" the New Covenant with His blood.

2011/2/1 8:02Profile
enduretoend

Re:

Quote:
There are those who will tell you that He kept the Sabbath and so should we, but the Scriptures reveal that when it came to the Laws of the Sabbath, He constantly broke them. The fact that He went up to the synagogue on the Sabbath does not mean that He kept the Sabbath, it just means He knew where the Jews would be and it would be a good opportunity to preach to them.

Another very good point.

And the same is true for the Apostle Paul and others.

2011/2/1 8:03Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: Sabbath Keeping - Part II - The NEW Testament

Quote:
but the Scriptures reveal that when it came to the Laws of the Sabbath, He constantly broke them.

This is highly misleading. Jesus broke the Pharisee's law, not God's. Huge difference. Unless you can differentiate between the two you ain't got a case.

2011/2/1 8:39Profile
enduretoend

Re:

You should read libertad's Sabbath Keeping post on the Old Testament. Jesus did not keep it and the point is, that HE is Lord of the Sabbath. He can do whatever He wants. And what He does, are deeds of mercy, grace and love.

Some excerpts from libertad's other post in case you don't read it.

And then Exodus 16:29, “let no man go out of his place on the seventh day.”

In other words they did not go and have a big church meeting on the Sabbath. They did not travel. They were to stay home and rest. Sabbath was about resting. They were commanded to stay home. No one is to go to meetings on that day. I wonder how that would go over. Probably not too well.

Exodus 20:10 – No one is to work. Not the son or daughter or the cattle. Nothing!

Exodus 23:12 – The ox and the ass are to rest also.

Exodus 35:3 – They are to kindle no fire. If you get’s cold you just stay cold.

Numbers 15:32 – Gather no firewood. They could not pick up a stick of firewood on the Sabbath.

Do you recall that someone was stoned for gathering firewood?

2011/2/1 8:49Profile
knitefall

Re:

Quote:
This is highly misleading. Jesus broke the Pharisee's law, not God's. Huge difference. Unless you can differentiate between the two you ain't got a case.

as well, the Sabbath was made for man. Not man for the Sabbath. And these are the seed of Abraham. The land is theirs. Not the self-religious pharisees.

2011/2/1 8:59Profile
enduretoend

Re:

Jesus worked on the Sabbath. Exodus 20:10 prohibits this.

But Jesus was working the works of the One that sent Him.

Jesus superceded the Sabbath because He was Lord of the Sabbath. Jesus was always resting (in His Father) yet always working (doing His Father's will).

He went out of his house on the Sabbath (also prohibited) and healed. This is why He says, "Go and learn about mercy".

2011/2/1 9:12Profile
Ruthanna

Re:

This is interesting. I was just thinking about this thing of Sabbath keeping yesterday.

God established a day of rest at the very beginning when He created life. Gen 2:2-3

He re-emphasized the importance of setting aside one day out of seven to give to Him. Exodus 8:8-11

He gave numerous promises throughout the OT of a close walk with Him for those who would observe the sabbath rightly. Isaiah 56:1-8;Isaiah 58 (whole chapter); Jeremiah 17:19-27.

Jesus came and said in Matthew 5:17-19, "Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven."

Then Mark 2:23-28 ... It's really not an issue, but I just wonder if Jesus really didn't observe the sabbath. I know He didn't the way the Pharisees demanded the Jews to, but according to His own establishment, did He? In any case also Mark 3:1-5; Matt. 12:1-28...)

The whole point of Jesus being Lord of the sabbath, I don't believe is to free me from it so that I can do whatever I want on that day. Will He condemn a soul for observing His day on Saturday or Sunday ... or whatever day they observe it on? Was that really the point?

The Spirit of the law is higher than the letter of the law, and greater and requires the work of GOD (grace) in a life in order to fulfil. (Matthew 5-7)

Therefore, I have been set free in Christ to do His will and not my own. So the sabbath (whatever day it is observed on) is His day and to be observed so by me. Can I not give Him ONE out of seven to just be completely focused on HIM and set aside the daily responsibilities and cares of earthly life? Every day should be His, but you know what I mean. Set it aside to set aside all other things in order to specifically spend time with Him. It seems to me to amount to this: "He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?" Micah 6:8
And
"Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself." Mark 12:30-31

Sabbath simply means "intermission" (Hebrew), "day of weekly repose"(Greek).

It is a day specified by God to be set aside for Him to rest and DO GOOD (not do whatever pleases our own selves).

Anyhow, this is how I feel about it for myself. I am still learning to put this into practice as I'm not always sure how to in these days, but I desire to and am learning.

I appreciate what has been shared, and I hope it's okay I put in my one cents worth. :o) If not, just discard it. :o)

Blessings to all of you!!

Christ is worthy!!

2011/2/1 9:41Profile

Re:

Just as Jesus expounded what the "spirit of the law" was, when He went through all of the commandments in His talks with His disciples and the people - I believe that once we grasp what He was teaching about this "spirit of the law" - then we'll grasp the meaning of His Sabbath Rest that He died to purchase for us.

To rest and make any day Holy unto Him is something that not only benefits our bodies but He surely does deserve to have our focus, anytime and any day.
Every day should be kept Holy, as unto The LORD - but we can't rest every day.
It's not a going to fellowship and then come back to lives that are lived mostly unconscious of Him, His will or His Body.

Your one cent was just fine with me.

The spirit of the law brings liberty - the liberty of truly "walking in the Spirit" - which He did and taught that we should do -- To be "led of The Spirit" will fulfill all of His law, birthed out of The Royal Law.

Love.

2011/2/1 11:07
restinhim

Re:

We have no such command to set one day aside and not work. With that said, if I could take 3 or 4 off, I would.

Ruthann, it's optional for you and no doubt a good thing to give your body a rest. But, what is not optional for all who follow the Lamb is to be in His rest everyday.

Taking 1,2,3 or more days off a week is no doubt a benefit, however, Jesus, by his own example and words did not make it a rule and neither should we make it a rule for others or even ourselves.

I just wish people would stop trying to say they keep it, because no one on earth keeps it the way God instructed it to be kept.

People should just say that they like to take off one day a week from work and spend as much time with the Lord as possible.

2011/2/1 11:24Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy