SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : HOW TO TEST PROPHECY

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
RainMan

Re:

Scripture is to be rightly divided, not subtracted from added to or even multiplied.

prof-ate-yoo'-o

to foretell events, divine, speak under inspiration, exercise the prophetic office: - prophesy.

prof-ay'-tace
a foreteller (“prophet”); by analogy an inspired speaker; by extension a poet: - prophet.

Prophet is one who foretells of future events and / or is an inspired speaker

Prophets: Daniel , jerimiah etc

Inspired Speaks: David, solomon etc

I would disagree that prophesy is strictly about Jesus. We can see in Acts where the Holy Spirit enabled individuals to prophesy about future events that would happen to other individuals

example
Acts 21:11
Coming over to us, he took Paul’s belt, tied his own hands and feet with it and said, “The Holy Spirit says, ‘In this way the Jewish leaders in Jerusalem will bind the owner of this belt and will hand him over to the Gentiles.’”

the prophesy in the above text was not about Jesus it was about a future event that was going to happen to Paul. What is also interesting is that Paul did not receive this prophesy directly himself. Often we assume that because we have the holy spirit we should not receive of other christians. This is pride. If peter a man who saw Jesus and walked on water could be rebuked/corrected by paul (admittedly chief of all sinners) and accept correction why do we feel we should not receive correction if it comes from another is this not pride?.

As it has been said already God uses a variety of ways to talk to us. If we wont listen to a still voice he can make a donkey talk to us so we get the message.

Inspired speaking tends to be about and leading to Jesus.

Conclusion
The prophetic mantle includes both the foretelling of future events or things God is going to do or things that will happen. Also prophesying can be inspired speech which tends to lead to Christ. In this day and age we need both.

2011/1/20 10:13Profile
jwlassi

Clemson University

Re:

Good point RainMan!

I do believe that you can hold Acts 21:11 in tension with Revelation 19:10, where it is said that the testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy. I do have a question, however. How do you all interpret Revelation 19:10 in context, and does it stand alone as a definition of prophecy?

I do love the wisdom of this place.

Bless you all.

2011/1/20 11:41Profile
RainMan

Re:

Revelation 19:10 (Amplified Bible)

10Then I fell prostrate at his feet to worship (to pay divine honors) to him, but he [restrained me] and said, Refrain! [You must not do that!] I am [only] another servant with you and your brethren who have [accepted and hold] the testimony borne by Jesus. Worship God! For the substance (essence) of the truth revealed by Jesus is the spirit of all prophecy [the vital breath, the inspiration of all inspired preaching and interpretation of the divine will and purpose, including both mine and yours].

in context the prophesy alluded to in this scripture is an allegorical-type eshatological logos. We can infer from the above that prophesy in this context is holy spirit inspired logos that may or may not be about future events.Holy spirit inspired truth and revelation should be taken primarily and referenced with the bible. The book of Daniel is another type of such prophesy. But the gift of prophesy as outlined in the new testament church is not limited to eschatology.

To surmise prophesy its the inspired word and council of God through the holy spirit that has always been behind prophesy. Prophesy can be the inspired council of God warning a rebellious people of the Consequence of actions, the inspired word regarding the unfolding of eschatological events, inspired specific instruction for a individual or church. The common denominator is that the animation is of the spirit of christ aka the holy spirit i think the english used in 19:10 doesnt do the text justice and can mislead one to assume the text is saying that all prophesy is about Jesus which it is clearly not.

Another example is when paul says that with tears he had warned night and day about wolves that would enter the fold. His teachings about later day false teachers was simply holy spirit inspired logos. Pauls prophetic writings has certainly kept me on the straight and narrow yet his subject was not Christ but future events that the church should be aware of.

"Let he who has an ear hear what the spirit is saying to the churches"
my question then would be. If the spirit is still speaking specifically to the churches in our day what is the scriptural presidence of how he does so?

God bless

thats my 2ct

2011/1/20 12:50Profile
angela_888

Re:

Hi

Yes a test of a true prophet is if the prophecy comes to pass, but you must understand that its coming to pass is subject to God's terms and timing not yours.

I pose the following question to you:

Say you were living at the time of Adam and Eve when the prophecy found in Genesis 3:15 was given

"And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring[a] and hers;
he will crush[b] your head,
and you will strike his heel.”

This prophecy was fulfilled about 4,000 years later, and if you lived at the time when this prophecy was given, would you say that this prophecy isn't true and therefore reject it just because you wouldn't have lived long enough to see the fulfillment of it?

God gives prophecy for different reasons which are also subject to other reasons, meaning you do not reject a prophecy just because it doesn't conform to your understanding or just because you yourself haven't seen its fulfillment.

Angela

2011/1/20 16:13Profile

Re:

Of late, I've seen some say that just a bit more light on a Scripture verse is called - "GOD gave me a prophecy".

I believe that word is being abused, over-used and thus becoming disregarded because the people are seeing this mis-use of that gift and calling.

It's been said on this forum many times that if one has a "prophecy" that does not make them "a prophet".

No, the test of a true prophet is not whether what they foretell comes true. Satan can tell you quite a bit about the future. The test of a True Prophet is, where are they leading you???

GOD is not the God of confusion. True Prophecy will make sense to those who have the Spirit of Truth resident in them. The Holy Spirit will not confuse The Saints.
If "prophecy doesn't conform to my understanding" - I give it to The LORD and leave it there.

This promise is for ALL of His Sheep who Know His Voice -

Joh 16:13 Howbeit when He, the Spirit of Truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come.

The purpose of a prophet is clearly explained in Ephesians 4 - right along with the apostles, evangelists, pastors and teachers -

"For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ: that we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive; but speaking the truth in love, may grow up into Him in all things, which is the Head, even Christ: from whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love."

If any one of the five callings desire a "following" they've reproached the calling and are hurting His Body.

2011/1/20 19:52
passerby

Re:

Prophesies can only be either true or false. The more important thing to consider is the prophet, beware of the path he is leading to.

2011/1/20 21:10Profile
mpasaj

Blantyre, Malawi, Southern Africa

Re: HOW TO TEST PROPHECY

The fact that a prophecy has come to pass does not prove that it was true and that the person prophesying is from God. Prophecy needs to be tested against the Word whether it comes to pass or it doesnt. My point is, there are many sources of prophecies and predictions whose prophecies come to pass but are not from God. For example Napoleon Bonaparte and the John Hogue(not Hagee) predict events using mysterious codes and yet he is totally Antichrist.Another example is the horoscope or the star guide which have no basis from the word of God at all. Christ said the Holy Spirit as the Spirit of truth shall lead us into all truth and when one gets filled with truth, deception has no vacant space in him.
We never have to slow down when it comes to prayer because it is through prayer that we are refleshed with wisdom and truth from God.
The more we pray and study the word of God the more we know the truth and have an ability to differentiate truth from error and the more we are protected against false prophets. God is honoured in the true prophecy and the prophet and in false prophecy the prophet gets the honour. True prophecy will never be contrary to the word of God, in fact the word of God is a trusted foundation for prophecy.

Piece of advice, donot trust the spirits before testing them, rather, test and trust and dont trust before testing.

2011/1/21 6:33Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: passerby

Quote:
passerby wrote:
Prophesies can only be either true or false. The more important thing to consider is the prophet, beware of the path he is leading to.

This is so true! I was listening to Zac Poonen and in his sermon he told a story of a woman whose betrothed had gone to a faraway place and wrote letters to her every day. He said in India the postman knocks on your door and delivers your mail in hand that they don’t have mailboxes. The postman delivered the letters everyday and went in and talked a while to the woman and nine months later, she married the postman!!

His point was, don’t fall in love with the one who brings you the word of the Lord (your pastor) and even “thus says the Lord,” to you through prophecy! Many people put their pastor or the person prophesies on a pedestal.

I thought it was a story that made a valid point.

God bless,
Lisa

(edited for clarity)

2011/1/21 8:19Profile
Renoncer

Re:

I heard R.C. Sproul's testimony about his prior involvement in the charismatic movement. He said that he was particularly alarmed by all the heresies that came by way of "tongues" and their interpretations. However, what struck him the most was when he was trying to figure out where God wanted him to go next for his career. Five of his charismatic friends came, one after the other, and gave him a prophecy concerning his career. They each had received a "word from the Lord", and told R.C. Sproul that God wanted him to go to a particular city, and take a particular job. The problem is that they told him to go to five different cities, and told him to take five different jobs. He said "I may be iniquitous but I'm not ubiquitous, and I can’t be at five different cities at the same time" (http://www.sermonaudio.com/sermoninfo.asp?SID=928101832307).

2011/1/21 11:42Profile

Re:

Bless GOD. Lysa and Renouncer - your posts are priceless.

I see this daily on the internet. One person will have a dream, vision or word and ask the others to interpret for them and lo and behold - how many different "interpretations" do you suppose they get for that one dream, vision or word? It's not funny anymore.

Lysa, only a hireling would get angry at your Postman story. Why? Because they want the glory! - to be followed.

Before I got saved-saved, I had plans from age 12 to be a psychologist, so I studied until The LORD stopped me in my mid-twenties - Bless GOD - but one good thing I learned from questioning one of the very-very few good Drs in that field, was, what was his take on the Field itself.
He answered that a Good Dr will do everything within his power to Not allow the 'patient' to become dependent on the Dr (or anything else for that matter) and that if all of these Drs etc felt the same - most would be broke by now. :)

I feel it's the same for the 5 callings of Eph 4.
POINT THEM TO DEPENDENCE ON CHRIST and build them up toward that end - where they experience John 16:13,14 for themselves as a lifestyle. Alleluia!
When we're alone, when no one is there, when trouble or persecution comes, that's where the rubber meets the road and that's an awfully desperate time to find out that you've depended on the voices of others that will not be there - instead of our Shepherd's Voice.

We should be so filled with His WORD and being the Sheep that Know His Voice that when anyone "gives a word or whatever", that we'll know straightways who's speaking and why.

Great posts - thank you!

2011/1/21 12:08

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy