Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : HOW TO TEST PROPHECY

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
angela_888

HOW TO TEST PROPHECY

Testing Prophecy

God can bring you into a place of revelation, insight and peace about how to test prophecy. This will result in the Christian being secure in their own walk with the Lord about testing prophecy.
The believer should, on a daily basis, cast all their cares onto the Lord, and tell God all their anxieties, worries, problems, questions, and let God answer.

Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you. (1 Pet 5:6,7)

The true believe will always be open to the Lord to instruct them, teach them, rebuke them and bless them. Without true flexibility and reachability you can never truly grow as the Lord wants for you to.

Test 1: Is the prophecy scriptural ?
Does it line up with scripture. If it doesn’t, is your interpretation of scripture correct? If it is true prophecy, and the Christian uses scripture to refute it, then this teaching and warning from Jesus must be understood.

“If therefore the light that is in you is darkness, how great is that darkness!” (Matt 6:23)

Also if you are using scripture to reject prophecy, have you understood the intent and the heart of scripture, or have you simply read according to the letter:

“for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.” (2 Cor 3:6)

Jesus rebuked many of the Pharisees who quoted from the Word of God, but they quoted out of context.

If the prophecy is not scriptural (according to the right interpretation of scripture) it should be rejected.

Test 2: Prayer

Communication with the Lord is essential in testing prophecy. Things to ask God in prayer:
Is this person speaking from their own heart or are they truly listening to the Lord ?
Are they walking in their own ambitions, or are they truly seeking the heart of God ?
When praying you must ask yourself, are you making quality time for prayer, do you ask God to help you to listen to the answer?
You must ask God to overrule you for any reason if you are rejecting true prophecy.
You must ask God for boldness to reject anything that is not from God, but you must fear God to reject a true prophet.

Test 3: Peace

Do you have peace ? This is one of the greatest reasons for Christians rejecting prophecy. Many believers don’t want to receive some prophecies, so this will naturally cause them to be conflicted which will result in them not having the peace they should have, and they get deceived.

Then say they don’t have peace, therefore the prophecy mustn’t be from the Lord, when what is needed is for them to humble themselves and ask God for peace if the prophecy is from God. When God gives you a sense of no peace, it will be different to when it is not of God.

Once you have been through all your motives, and if you are true to God you will know whether the peace you have is from God or whether the peace you don’t have is from God.

Test 4: Confirmation

Is this something other prophets are prophesying that God is speaking to you ?
For example - prophecies about world situations: many prophets in this time are prophesying the same prophecies about economic disasters, wars etc. On a personal level, God will speak to you through the Holy Spirit, through scripture and also through other Christians. God does not always have to confirm prophecy, as the Lord has spoken everything you need to know through scripture – the problem is when the saints do not listen to scripture.
Therefore a prophet can prophesy anything to you, that you have not necessarily been prepared for by the Lord already (although scripture prepares you for all things!)
Saying “God hasn’t spoken to me, therefore I reject the prophecy” is a great error.
God can speak in any way, or any time, or by any means He wishes, whether the Christian is prepared or not.

Test 5: What is the fruit of prophecy ?

Does the prophecy inspire you whether through the fear of God, or through the love of God, to be holy, to walk in love, to seek God at a deeper level, to evangelize, to walk in mercy etc..?

Walking in the prophetic will mean that your whole mindset, understanding, reasoning must be changed to be brought into alignment with the Word of God. This will result in power and Gods authority over your life.

2011/1/16 14:36Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: HOW TO TEST PROPHECY

Quote:
Without true flexibility and reachability you can never truly grow as the Lord wants for you to.

Quote:
Also if you are using scripture to reject prophecy, have you understood the intent and the heart of scripture, or have you simply read according to the letter:

Quote:
If the prophecy is not scriptural (according to the right interpretation of scripture) it should be rejected.

Do you see what a trap this is? Because if you hear a prophecy and reject it then ,aha!, you just aren't spiritual enough, you just don't have the right level of understanding, you're not humble enough, you're not flexible enough, so you're trapped.

This is altogether the wrong starting point for such a discussion of false prophecy. There is one true test of the prophet, is his prophecy accurate?

In Christ,

Ron

2011/1/16 15:38Profile
staff

Re:

Hi,
The true test of Prophet is if it comes to pass he is a prophet.I Would aggree with Ron that if it is accurate.It cant be anything else,it would be too difficult for us to intrepret otherwise.Even if the prophet brings the prophesy in the wrong way the prophet is still a true prophet.Lets say for instance a prophesy is given that turns out to be true and someone says well you didnt bring it at the right time or that it wasnt given in spirit of love then the prophet is still correct only because the prophesy is true and accurate.Their is no excuse not to heed the prophesy.
Lets not make this any more complicated than it is,Staff

2011/1/16 16:49Profile
passerby

Re:

Personally at the moment I don't seek for prophesies to guide me or other people for daily walk or future plans.

The wisdom that will be granted to us as we walk humbly and faithfully over time will bring us the trusting and quiet spirit that will help us survive the trying moments.

This wisdom as a result of our faithful walk with the Lord is more peaceable and reliable than the many prophesies that we hear or read today. Saying that, I do not ignore or despise prophesying in the church.

But then to be obsessed by them to the point of creating an association of prophets , school of prophets, seminars for prophets, prophetic ministries, well_ I think prophesies coming from these people are just not safe. Beware.

2011/1/17 4:25Profile
Renoncer

Re: HOW TO TEST PROPHECY

Angela_888,

Q: Why did God give some to be apostles, prophets, evangelists, pastors, and teachers?
A: To equip the saints for the work of ministry, for building up the body of Christ, until we all attain to the unity of the faith and of the knowledge of the Son of God, to mature manhood, to the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ (Ephesians 4:12-13).

Accordingly, this must be the central focus of the prophet and of the prophecy: Jesus Christ. To bring all attention unto Christ. To bring glory to Jesus Christ. To bring everyone into submission to Christ. To bring greater devotion to Jesus Christ. To build the body of Christ.

After all, the Holy Spirit does not speak of His own, but He testifies about Jesus Christ. Notice how Jesus described the ministry of the Holy Spirit in John 15:26 and John 16:13-14.

Anyone who deviates from this essence should be warned. Any spirit who makes you deviate from this essence cannot be of God.

2011/1/17 9:25Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re: test of a prophet

Quote:
IntheLight wrote:
This is altogether the wrong starting point for such a discussion of false prophecy. There is one true test of the prophet, is his prophecy accurate?

This is true for a prophet but what about those who just have the gift of prophesy and are not a prophet?
When do we know when the prophecy has come to pass?
What if it takes years?
Will we be faithful while waiting?

Patience and longsuffering comes into play here mightily! I had a prophecy given to me and it took almost 10 years to come to pass in my life but the Lord brought it to pass.

Everyone who has the gift of prophesy is not a prophet but yet all prophets prophesy! And we prophesy according to the proportion of our faith. Those who are new in the operation of the gift of prophesy may not prophesy like one who has operated in the gift for 10 or 20 or more years. Again, patience for those learning to follow the Spirit is a must along with guidance as well.

God bless and thank you for considering my two-cents!

Lisa

2011/1/17 9:39Profile
Renoncer

Re:

Whether it be the gifts or the offices, the same purpose remains.

Therefore I want you to understand that no one speaking in the Spirit of God ever says "Jesus is accursed!" and no one can say "Jesus is Lord" except in the Holy Spirit. Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good (1 Corinthians 12:3-7).

2011/1/17 10:55Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re:

Quote:
Everyone who has the gift of prophesy is not a prophet but yet all prophets prophesy! And we prophesy according to the proportion of our faith. Those who are new in the operation of the gift of prophesy may not prophesy like one who has operated in the gift for 10 or 20 or more years. Again, patience for those learning to follow the Spirit is a must along with guidance as well.

You're right Lisa, thank you for your reply. Much patience and love are required, I'm not sure I showed much of either in my first post, I apologize.

I do believe that personal revelation from the Holy Spirit for the purpose of edification, exhortation, and encouragement is a blessed gift yet not free from the possibility of mixture of human error therefore it must be tested on the basis of Biblical teaching and mature spiritual wisdom.

In Christ,

Ron

2011/1/17 18:56Profile
Lysa

This world is not my home anymore.

Re:

InTheLight wrote: "Much patience and love are required, I'm not sure I showed much of either in my first post, I apologize"

I did not mean to imply that you were not patient; I’m sorry if that came across to you! My apologies.

A question for you.... How do you test prophecy? If it cannot be tested by Scripture, is it tossed aside? I’ve just wondered how other people handle prophecy. Thank you.

PS: I like your quote by Art Katz!

God bless,
Lisa

2011/1/17 19:29Profile

Re:

Pray for discernment!!!

Always have the Holy Spirit as your guard when reading or hearing anything that calls itself "prophetic".

Never have a passive mind. Always have The WORD of GOD working in you. Know His WORD so that it will quickly come to mind when there is a 'word', so you'll know if it's from someone's self or from Him.

Take "foretelling" lightly until you've had time to check it against His WORD 'with' Him in prayer.
When feelings of doubt, confusion, tiredness come with 'words' - take it to prayer immediately.

If you don't know the person, take time to get to know them through asking the LORD continually for discernment and for Him to allow "key words" to pop out of their words.

If you 'know the person well' enough, yet feel they've gotten a word that may not be from GOD - treat them gently. We're living in a day when there are more "air waves" going through the air spiritually and anyone is susceptable to a 'message' - Anyone is. That's why continual prayer, asking for discernment, is so very important in these days.

What GOD never asks us to do is decide on anything "Right NOW" - He'd rather we take the time to pray on it and check the Scriptures and trust His Spirit of Truth to lead & guide into All Truth. Trust GOD's Spirit - The Holy Spirit, as a little child trusts their Good Father - asking for wisdom, discernment - His Light.
Joh 10:4,5 And when He putteth forth His own sheep, He goeth before them, and the sheep follow Him: for they know His voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers.

Wise as serpents, but harmless as doves.

See how much you can read or hear from the person before you make a final decision on their "prophecies". Where is what they are saying "leading up to?" - what is the message leading you to believe that you hadn't believed before? Do you sense a feeling of "follow me" in their messages?
"Try/Test all things"

GOD's WORD & His Spirit of Truth is complete enough, He said.
Prophecy normally comes in many packages and we're not to despise True prophecy, but if your life is surrendered to GOD, He is able to speak to you Himself. Do not become "dependent" on other's words. Be careful who you "follow" - Can they fully stand the test of time and The WORD?

Do you feel that your walk with GOD would get you through Solitary Confinement - with no one to follow or to even listen to you but GOD?
I believe that's the type of walk that we all need to strive for. That's the type of walk that will get one through the deceptions that increase on a daily basis.

GOD, help us all!

2011/1/19 16:44

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy