SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Day of Worship

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

http://www.milechai.com/judaism/613-laws-of-the-torah-365-negative-laws.html

This site will show people the laws that are to be kept. If you keep one of the laws, you are required to keep all of the laws. Men, please take a look at laws 43-51. If you keep the day of the sabbath as a requirement, you are required to follow these as well.

Have you broken any of these laws between 43-51?

How about 235 and 236?

2011/1/30 14:38Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re: GinnyRose

Quote:
maybe you were in crabby mood, because that question to Matthew has a slight accusatory tint:

Maybe so.

Neil, I have been on SI for a while. And so have you. If you read these forums you will recall that this issue comes up periodically and always there will be people who will argue against keeping the LORD's Day: these folks will say that Jesus is our Sabbath and therefore it is not important for Christians to set aside one day a week to reflect on Him, his mercy and goodness to mankind. Then you have those who declare it is very important for Christians to observe the LORD's Day. Some will take this one step further and insist it be done on our Sat., that Sunday is not the Sabbath.

These arguments weary me.

The bottom question is why does one insist that God is not worthy to be honored one day a week by abstaining from gainful employment to reflect on Him?

God rested after working six days. For the 6000 years since then, God's people have set aside one day a week to reflect on Him, to participate in corporate worship. Is it not odd that the modern church fights this practice? The church that has backslid so far into apostasy is now teaching us that this is not essential?

Yes, Neil, I am weary....do I ask for forgiveness? No. But the fight against apostasy gets wearisome....

Neil, lest you think this lady is gloom and doom, I will have to say the LORD has been doing some wonderful things in our lives...God is proving himself bigger then us..perhaps one day I can speak more of it - I am yet in awe and wonder if I am misreading current events....God is GOOD and I so worship Him - He is so much bigger and greater then we...AMEN!

Blessings,
ginnyrose

2011/1/30 19:13Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Sister Ginny...

Quote:

The bottom question is why does one insist that God is not worthy to be honored one day a week by abstaining from gainful employment to reflect on Him?

I don't know that anyone insisted "that God is not worthy to be honored one day a week" including the "abstaining from gainful employment" in order to reflect on Him. I think that you may be misunderstanding the views of many if you think that this is our underlying conclusion regarding Old Covenant Sabbath requirements for believers under the New Covenant.

For me, the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus causes me to fulfill the Sabbath every day. I remember the Lord everyday. I strive for holiness everyday. I commune with God everyday. On TWO days, I don't "work" (for gainful employment) -- although I might "work" according to the letter of the Old Testament law.

Still, I do not believe that this matter is one that should be defined for us by another believer. Consider the words of Colossians 2:16-17:

Quote:

Colossians 2:16-17 (KJV)

16 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of an holyday, or of the new moon, OR OF THE SABBATH DAYS:

17 Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Colossians 2:16-17 (NASB)

16 Therefore no one is to act as your judge in regard to food or drink or in respect to a festival or a new moon OR A SABBATH DAY --

17 things which are a mere shadow of what is to come; but the substance belongs to Christ.

In this sense, I don't think that it is up to anyone to act as our judge in how we honor God in regards to the Sabbath. I see it, in a sense, like the circumcision. There is nothing wrong with circumcising a child (in fact, many studies show quite the opposite). I, like MILLIONS of young boys -- Jew and Gentile, was circumcised as a baby. However, he question is whether or not it is a binding act of righteousness.

This is my strongest disappointment in these sort of discussions. Instead of it becoming a personal view of propriety in our walk with God, some have turned such things into a requirement for holiness -- or even a measuring stick for salvation.

During the holidays, the young children of one of my cousins visited my parents' home. They informed my parents that they were not permitted to eat ANY pork product (including hot dogs, bacon, or sausage). This, they saw, as a lasting requirement to even New Testament believers. Nothing that my parents have shown my cousin from the New Testament (such as "kill and eat" in Acts chapter 10). Now, I understand the principles that could motivate a person to avoid pork. However, to make it a binding requirement for personal righteousness is, in my opinion, akin to a person thinking that they are righteous because their parents circumcised them on the 8th day.

Yet it seems that there is a danger for creating specific requirements for the law of the New Covenant -- which is met by simply loving the Lord with all our our hearts, minds, souls and strength and loving our neighbor as ourselves. It is by doing these that we fulfill ALL (not some) of the Law AND the prophets.

Quote:

God rested after working six days. For the 6000 years since then, God's people have set aside one day a week to reflect on Him, to participate in corporate worship.

As I tried to point out in a previous post, this might not be true. God certainly blessed the original Sabbath day (the actual 7th day):
Quote:

Genesis 2:1-3 (KJV)

1 Thus the heavens and the earth were finished, and all the host of them.

2 And on the seventh day God ended his work which he had made; and he rested on the seventh day from all his work which he had made.

3 And God blessed the seventh day, and sanctified it: because that in it he had rested from all his work which God created and made.

Genesis 2:1-3 (NASB)

1 Thus the heavens and the earth were completed, and all their hosts.

2 By the seventh day God completed His work which He had done, and He rested on the seventh day from all His work which He had done.

3 Then God blessed the seventh day and sanctified it, because in it He rested from all His work which God had created and made.

However, the Sabbath wasn't mentioned again in Scripture until THOUSANDS of years later...by Moses in Exodus chapter 16. Adam didn't mention it. Enoch didn't mention it. Noah didn't mention it. Abraham, Isaac, Jacob and Joseph didn't mention it. So, for about 3500 years, the Scriptures were silent about the matter.

Quote:

Is it not odd that the modern church fights this practice? The church that has backslid so far into apostasy is now teaching us that this is not essential?

Yes, Neil, I am weary....do I ask for forgiveness? No. But the fight against apostasy gets wearisome....

I am probably misunderstanding what you mean, but are you saying that speaking up for required Sabbath observance is part of the "fight against apostasy?" Again, I don't know what you are saying here...so please forgive my ignorance.

However, I just hope that no one is presenting their own Sabbath views as a requirement for either salvation or as a primer for standards of holiness. Of course, we could always argue that our own view is actually God's view of the matter -- which every sect or cult could do the same (even citing passages of Scripture to validate their views). To proclaim a particular standard for the Sabbath as binding for all believers in the New Testament could be just as exclusive as fellowshipping only with those who are circumcised or with those who refrain from eating pork.

Again, forgive me for injecting my perspective on this issue as often as I have in this thread. I just think that God is bigger than the Sabbath. There are many views on this matter by TRUE believers. Some feel that they must observe a continual Sabbath observance on Saturdays or Sundays. Many others feel that they can fulfill the purpose of the original Sabbath (the 7th day of Creation) by remembering God's finished work while blessing Him and walking with Him every day of the week. As Colossians 2:17 says, the substance of the Sabbath is CHRIST.

The Lord bless you.

2011/1/30 22:39Profile
bibleseeker

Re: Judaism

Mar 2:27 And he said unto them, The sabbath was made for man, and not man for the sabbath:

Look and see, it says the sabbath was made for man, not an ethnic group, certainly not the group that hung Jesus on a tree.

Mar 7:7 Howbeit in vain do they worship me, teaching for doctrines the commandments of men.

Mar 7:9 And he said unto them, Full well ye reject the commandment of God, that ye may keep your own tradition.

2011/1/31 0:15Profile
bibleseeker

Re: These arguments weary me.

"These arguments weary me."

This begs the question, then why are you here?

2011/1/31 0:22Profile
bibleseeker

Re: Jesus didn't keep the Sabbath?

Quote "Jesus did not even keep the Sabbath. He transgressed it according to the Pharisees."

Luk 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Luk 6:5 And he said unto them, That the Son of man is Lord also of the sabbath.

Luk 13:10 And he was teaching in one of the synagogues on the sabbath.

Luk 4:16 And he came to Nazareth, where he had been brought up: and, as his custom was, he went into the synagogue on the sabbath day, and stood up for to read.

Jesus, ss the Lord of the Sabbath, the Jews were subject to his rules about how to keep it holy, not, as you put it, the other way around.

Quote:"You cannot and have never kept the Sabbath the way that God told Israel to keep it.

Are you saying I don't know the difference between working and not working and that I can't understand the commandment?

The bible says:
Isa 58:13 If thou turn away thy foot from the sabbath, from doing thy pleasure on my holy day; and call the sabbath a delight, the holy of the LORD, honourable; and shalt honour him, not doing thine own ways, nor finding thine own pleasure, nor speaking thine own words:

2011/1/31 0:39Profile

Re: These arguments weary me.

bibleseeker, these threads weary me as well because they divide the Body and your last post is very sarcastic. Your breaking the commandment to show love to a sister in The LORD. The Law of Love supercedes EVERY Law in His Book!

I'm posting this and if you want to continue on fighting over which day is which, in front of a lost and dying world of hurting people - then GOD forgive you.
The GOD Who's Holiness is like a consuming fire is where we all live and work and knows our Every thought and idle word, at home or work or play and Knows just how "Holy" we really are or 'live' - 24/7.

Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.
Rom 14:5 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind.
Rom 14:6 He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not, to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.
Rom 14:7 For none of us liveth to himself, and no man dieth to himself.
Rom 14:8 For whether we live, we live unto the Lord; and whether we die, we die unto the Lord: whether we live therefore, or die, we are the Lord's.
Rom 14:9 For to this end Christ both died, and rose, and revived, that he might be Lord both of the dead and living.
Rom 14:10 But why dost thou judge thy brother? or why dost thou set at nought thy brother? for we shall all stand before the judgment seat of Christ.
Rom 14:11 For it is written, As I live, saith the Lord, every knee shall bow to me, and every tongue shall confess to God.
Rom 14:12 So then every one of us shall give account of "himself" to God.
Rom 14:13 Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way.

2011/1/31 0:44
restinhim

Re:

ccchhhrrriiisss and many others, excellent posts.

bibleseeker, you are argumentative. So much good exposition and light has been given that it pretty much proves that you are just "playing" these people, now.

I think, in my humble opinion, that no one should answer you anymore because everything you need is in their posts, already.

Have you been born-again?

2011/1/31 0:47Profile
bibleseeker

Re: Your bold claim

Your statement "So the law is not evil, only weak and unprofitable."

God's statement:
Psa 19:7 The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.

It seems clear that God's view of his Law radically opposes your statement.

2011/1/31 0:50Profile
restinhim

Re:

bibleseeker, it is crystal clear what the NT says about the Law, yet we also love the law of God written on our hearts.

This latest statement by you proves that you are only using God's Word to aggravate people. Personally, I don't see how everyone spent so much time on you.

God's Word does not contradict itself. His "law of the Lord" in Psalm 19, is speaking about His entire word. Psalm 19 helps you to understand this by giving us other synonyms.

Testimony, precepts, commandments, and they are all written on our heart.

You have got yourself in a hole now, because you have pretty much exposed yourself for not being genuine.

Bye, bye.

2011/1/31 1:06Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy