SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Question about barrier in preaching.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
washad

arkansas

Question about barrier in preaching.

I have a question for anyone who can take the time to answer. As a preacher I have been blessed to spend many hours in the presence of God. During secret prayer there is a manifest presence of God that is beyond description. These are some of the best and worst times of my life. Best because of the peace, comfort, and power that are bestowed. As well as just basking in the love of the Father. Worst because at the same time there is such a crushing and breaking of pride along with a fearful understanding of God's abiding wrath on sin, the worlds of course but mostly my own. In these times the Word pours from my lips unbidden and unrestrained. I have asked for wisdom and understanding and in these times God graciously provides. The following Bible study is intense and there are connections and applications that were hidden just hours before. I pray to receive a message and I believe that God gives it. Then comes Sunday or Wednesday. That is when it all falls apart.
You see no matter how "prepared" I am when I step in the pulpit there is an almost tangible barrier between myself and the congregation. I see no joy in their faces and no conviction is evident. When preaching I know the message is correct;I write it down as it comes to me but there is no. I don't know "unction"? The Scriptures with all their power vanish from memory and the illustrations given by the Spirit so powerful and instrumental in shaping my own faith seem weak and powerless. I am aware of the lack and even while speaking I pray that God would break through but there is a seemingly impenetrable wall between spirit and mind. I can almost feel the Spirit welling up inside but catching in my stomach unable at this time to voice those life giving words. Oh the people are satisfied and say they are fed. I know the doctrine is sound and truth is dispensed but in my heart I feel that there is something missing. Nothing seems to work. Writing down word for word seems to lack vitality. Outlines don't capture the fullness of what was expressed to me. Going in with just the Word and faith seems to fall short. Some elders in the church have told me it is just the falling away that was prophesied and to just keep on with what I'm doing.
So what do you think? Spiritual oppression? Lack of faith on my part? Congregational issues? End time apathy?

Is there any way to convey to the congregation the same message, in the same way, with the same passion with which I receive it? Someone who believes they have a genuine word from the Lord feel free to respond. Above all pray for me. The people deserve better than this even they are not aware of it. Thanks for any response.

2011/1/7 16:04Profile

Re: Question about barrier in preaching.

Hi brother,

I wonder if you would say more about the locality in which your church is set, the length of time you have been there, the elders and people who attend, and whether you have fellowship with them in other settings afforded by church life - such as prayer meetings, Bible study, social or evangelistic activities - or, you feel isolated at times other than when you are preaching?

2011/1/7 17:39
washad

arkansas

Re:

Our church is in the middle of the "Bible belt". We are in a smaller city of about seven thousand. I have been there about two years. The vast majority of the people are older average age 65-75. The rest are college age. Most or all are to busy for prayer meetings and evangelistic activities I have tried to stir up and pray up volunteers but to no avail.That is an isolated activity. Bible studies are on Sunday night but as part of the "regular preaching" hour. An extra hour is too long for them to sit. So family study at home is my fellowship. Social activities are held on Sundays as well because of the time thing. The rest of the week is spent visiting sick and shut in and that does provide a great time of fellowship but I fell it is pretty one sided since you know they are sick or hurting. Yes I often feel isolated both spiritually and socially.

2011/1/8 8:56Profile

Re:

Washad

Been through that as well. As the account is relayed, it comes across as a withholding of His Spirit by God, it is the reason that is yet to be determined. If you find that there is no barrier between you and Christ, all that is left is a barrier between Christ and your congregation.

For that I recommend Eze 3:22-27 esp V26.

It will be very hard to be a preacher these days. If you stand where you must, you will be rejected by your congregation. However, to be allowed to stay, there has to be some form of compromise. I might check the areas of your compromise before the Lord as well. IE the extra hour being too long for them. So what! If what you are doing is of God, you will do it anyway until the last one disappears.

When the Lord shuts your mouth to the people because of them, He will usually remove you from them, or them from you. He generally does not leave you in their midst for long.

Tough issue though.

2011/1/8 10:09
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re:

Praying for Washad and his congregation,

2011/1/10 20:25Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Brother,

This is a tough time to be preaching the Word of God; it's the time we are living in. So many hearts are "gospel hardened." They heard the bible preached on tv, the radio, the pulpit and through so many outlets. (Edit: they've also heard every emotional appeal that preachers can make in the bible belt that has helped harden their hearts).

I will be praying for you but pray that the Holy Spirit consume you and teach and preach through you (as all ministers should be doing, really). That is the only thing that is going to get through to this generation and their calloused hearts.

God bless you,
Lisa

2011/1/10 20:42Profile
InLove

Dear brother,

This lays heavy on my heart. This is something I struggle with as well. I will tell you what has helped me a little as I still deal with this issue.

First, what age group is your focus? God has lead me to focus more toward youth. I feel this is important because they are most likely one of the two.

Either just starting in the Lord, or not in Him at all. Plus if God needs you to preach a message to the older part of the congregation He will provide.

The thing that helps me the most is when you preach you can tell one or two people really get it. If your preaching with the Holy Spirit you'll get one. Concentrate on that one or two. Preach just to them. As if they were the only ones.

I know this may be just for my calling but I pray it will help you.

In love,
Joe

2011/1/10 21:57Profile
learjet

Quote:
I have asked for wisdom and understanding and in these times God graciously provides. The following Bible study is intense and there are connections and applications that were hidden just hours before. I pray to receive a message and I believe that God gives it. Then comes Sunday or Wednesday. That is when it all falls apart.

From a practical level, I would suggest that you go to the church early in the morning so that you can walk right out under a heavy anointing to preach. By the time that the service starts, the fire of the Holy Spirit will be upon you in a mighty way, since there is no time lapse.

This anointing brings the conviction of sin with it, the kind that breaks the yoke. Pray, pray, pray, my brother, and I will pray for you as well.

Jesus loves you!

In Christ,
Earl J

2011/1/10 23:23Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Brother, this may sound strange to you in a sense but it may be the source to your problem, Fear. I have had similar experience where its like "Am I getting through to them?" and in my short experience as a preacher the Lord has reminded me time and time again I'm not there for them but for God. My ministry is God's heart and to minister and preach a message that is pleasing to God and ultimately glorifying to God. What sermon will do this? Faithfulness in preaching the message Christ has given you, don't worry about the effects of it, that's simply not your department :) We plant and Water the seed BUT Only God can cause the Increase!

Anytime I did preach a message to a congregation on Sunday I always started with "He that has ears to hear, let him hear!" Proclaiming this that if you can listen then now is a good time to do so.

I guess my point is this, pray and be faithful in living out the messages you preach, if you haven't lived them and feeling God leading you to preach the message be humble and admit this fact.

Something else that my dad has always told me is this "A good shepherd will lay his life down for his sheep" and this is the difference between a hireling and a Preacher of Christ. Our call is to gather the people :) God will provide the message, we are to be faithful to preach that message and then leave it ALL in God's hands. Don't worry about barriers or feelings when you preach, preach it as if God is listening and is delighting in your faithfulness whether its the most wonderful sermon or a medocre one.

Again in my little experience this is what has helped me :)

2011/1/11 7:33Profile
mpasaj

Blantyre, Malawi, Southern Africa

The world says experience is the best teacher, yet when it comes to spiritual matters experience becomes the worst teacher. Yesterday's unction cannot be relied upon for today's work, just as yesterday's manna could not be kept for today. We need to continue striving on in prayer to lay hold of this gloriuos infilling of the Holy Spirit, first for our own building up and edification and then the preaching will follow. The lacking of pressing on for the new wine from God on a daily basis becomes one of the hindrances in preaching because we cant give what we dont have, and we cant move people with what hasnt yet moved us.
I've got much to contribute and i will be back tommorow.

Ilove the topic so much, and may God richly bless you all brethren.

2011/1/21 9:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy