SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Jesus, the Young Rich Man, and how we may obtain Eternal life.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
ArtB

New York

Jesus, the Young Rich Man, and how we may obtain Eternal life.

Some people imagine that the rich man in this parable is indicative of rich people in general, and draw from this parable that riches makes one more sinful and evil than non-rich people and/or that their riches make it near impossible for them to get into Heaven. Is this true?

Let's write the passage for all to see.

Matt 19:16-22
And behold, one came to Him and said, "Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may obtain eternal life?"

And He said to him, "Why are you asking Me about what is good? There is only One who is good; but if you wish to enter into life, keep the commandments."

He said to Him, "Which ones?"

And Jesus said, "You shall not commit murder; You shall not commit adultery; You shall not steal; You shall not bear false witness; Honor your father and mother; and You shall love your neighbor as yourself."

The young man said to Him, "All these things I have kept; what am I still lacking?"

Jesus said to him, "If you wish to be complete, go and sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you shall have treasure in heaven; and come, follow Me."

But when the young man heard this statement, he went away grieved; for he was one who owned much property." NAS

In the category of living a life of decency and goodness, This rich man of Matthew 19 is in the top one percentile of all people who ever been born on earth. His riches afford him great opportunity to break the commandments that he did not break. For example, rich people usually have more leisure time and young promiscous girls make themselves available to the rich. Even more telling about this man's character is that he chooses to come to the light (Jesus). As it is written:

John 3:19-21
"This is the judgment, that the Light has come into the world, and men loved the darkness rather than the Light, for their deeds were evil. For everyone who does evil hates the Light, and does not come to the Light for fear that his deeds will be exposed. But he who practices the truth comes to the Light, so that his deeds may be manifested as having been wrought in God." NASU

But he did not keep ALL the commandmenths. Jesus drew out of him that he loved his material possessions more than God, a form of idolatry. No wonder is it that when Jesus told him he could have eternal life by keeping the commandments, the rich man responded by asking "which ones?". The rich man knew he was lacking something and was hoping Jesus would give him a way out by giving him another 'good thing' to do justify his failure to keep the whole Mosaic Law. This Jesus could not do, for the only way to eternal life under the Mosaic Law is to keep the entire Mosaic Law, every jot and title of it. A contract is a contract.

Matt 19:23-24
"And Jesus said to His disciples, "Truly I say to you, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven. And again I say to you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God."" NAS

When the Disciples heard this, they became worried about their own salvation as they focused on Jesus words on how this very exceptional decent rich man not entering the Kingdom of God and have the good eternal life he sought. I deduce this from the fact that they did not respond, 'well that's really bad news for rich people, good thing we are not rich, isn't it.', rather, they responded:

Matt 19:25
"when the disciples heard this, they were very astonished and said, "Then who can be saved?"" NAS

Seeing that this highly esteemed rich man can not be saved by the works of the Mosaic Laws, the apostles now worried how much less worthy are they of being saved. Jesus then assures them that they and this rich man can be saved and have eternal life:

Matt 19:26
Jesus said to them, "With men this is impossible, but with God all things are possible." NAS

Jesus answered regarding the rich man's question that the rich man will never do enough good things to enter the kingdom of God and inherit eternal life. He hints at the fact that there is another way to enter God's Kingdom and obtain eternal life. It will turn out to be the only REAL way to be saved. But the apostle's do not know about that yet and are still worried about their future. Peter's speaks for their mutual worries on this issue of salvation:

Matt 19:27-30
"Then Peter answered and said to Him, "Behold, we have left everything and followed You; what then will there be for us?"

And Jesus said to them, "Truly I say to you, that you who have followed Me, in the regeneration when the Son of Man will sit on His glorious throne, you also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. "And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or farms for My name's sake, shall receive many times as much, and shall inherit eternal life. NAS

Jesus brought the good news on how we may have eternal life, good life with joy and peace, life abundantly:

John 3:14-18
"As Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, even so must the Son of Man be lifted up; so that whoever believes will in Him have eternal life. For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life. For God did not send the Son into the world to judge the world, but that the world might be saved through Him. He who believes in Him is not judged; he who does not believe has been judged already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God."

John 6:37-40
"All that the Father gives Me will come to Me, and the one who comes to Me I will certainly not cast out. For I have come down from heaven, not to do My own will, but the will of Him who sent Me.

"This is the will of Him who sent Me, that of all that He has given Me I lose nothing, but raise it up on the last day. For this is the will of My Father, that everyone who beholds the Son and believes in Him will have eternal life, and I Myself will raise him up on the last day."

Matt 11:26-30
"Yes, Father, for this way was well-pleasing in Your sight. All things have been handed over to Me by My Father; and no one knows the Son except the Father; nor does anyone know the Father except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son wills to reveal Him.

"Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest. Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and YOU WILL FIND REST FOR YOUR SOULS. For My yoke is easy and My burden is light."

ArtB

2010/12/19 23:58Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re: Jesus, the Young Rich Man, and how we may obtain Eternal life.

There is only one way to know the Son and believe that He is the Son of God and have eternal life; The Father must give me to the Son. John 6:35-38 And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst. But I said unto you, That ye also have seen me, and believe not. All that the Father giveth me shall come to me; and him that cometh to me I will in no wise cast out. For I came down from heaven, not to do mine own will, but the will of him that sent me.

Then; 1 John 5:10-13 He that believeth on the Son of God hath the witness in himself: he that believeth not God hath made Him a liar; because he believeth not the record that God gave of His Son. And this is the record, that God hath given to us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life. These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Then there is only one way to know the Father: That is those that the Son has willed it so.

The Father tried for over 4000 years to get man to believe that He is God, and "Ye would not". So the Plan before the foundation of the world, Eph 1: 4, now by the Cross comes into effect. The Father must birth His own nature, Jesus Christ in the believer, that we might through Him believe. 1 Peter 1: 23. The Living Word, (LOGOS) now birthed in the believer, Jesus Christ Him the Incorruptable Seed as like Mary by the Holy Spirit the Seed of the Father in the Believer.

In Christ: Phillip

2010/12/20 22:23Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re: Jesus, the Young Rich Man, and how we may obtain Eternal life.

I find it interesting that the Lord Jesus did not say to that man: " Believe on me." He said that to the publicans, adulterers, and the outcast who when were told to follow Him did not have a second thought because they had no hinderances in their heart. But to this man who needed to surrender his idol ( his money) where his real trust lies. Our Lord demanded that he must give that away first.

And yes, He did say : It is impossible for a rich man to enter the kingdom." Now, let's see. What does impossible mean??? I guess it just means " NOT POSSIBLE".

In fact, the chances of a rich man to have eternal life is as slim as a camel making it through the eye of a needle. In fact, He said that it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than a rich man to enter eternal life.

Boy, that is microscopically small.

2010/12/20 23:56Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Matthew 19:23-30 Then said Jesus unto his disciples, Verily I say unto you, That a rich man shall hardly enter into the kingdom of heaven. And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. When his disciples heard it, they were exceedingly amazed, saying, Who then can be saved? ((((((((((But Jesus beheld them, and said unto them, With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible.)))))))))) Then answered Peter and said unto him, Behold, we have forsaken all, and followed thee; what shall we have therefore? And Jesus said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That ye which have followed me, in the regeneration when the Son of man shall sit in the throne of his glory, ye also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. And every one that hath forsaken houses, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my name's sake, shall receive an hundredfold, and shall inherit everlasting life. But many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first.

Jesus knew the rich ruler could not follow Him unless the Father gave him to His Son, then Jesus would receive him and not loose him, but the rich young ruler would sit with Jesus on the throne of majesty and rule with Him and judge even the twelve tribes of Israel if the Father sent him to Jesus and had prepared his heart to receive the birthing and blessing of eternal life, he did not, what is the conclusion? The Father did not.

2010/12/21 2:55Profile
A-Run

India

Re:

Quote:
"Jesus knew the rich ruler could not follow Him unless the Father gave him to His Son"

#Bro. Phillip, are you saying that the rich young ruler could not follow Jesus because the Father did not will so? If so, that definitely contradicts what Jesus says to him.
#Jesus told the rich young ruler to give up his money (the love of it) and follow Him. But as it is so clearly mentioned in the Scriptures- the young man was sad at Jesus' saying as he did not want to give up his money/possessions.

#I think "Rich" means to be in a situation where you do not feel the need of anything- especially God. I think it means that you are self-sufficient and self-dependant.
What do you say of Philemon, Zacchaeus (Luke19:2- "...and he was rich"), Abraham etc... who were rich?
I think the Bible gives instructions to the rich on how to use their riches(1Timothy 6:17-"Charge them that are rich in this world,...") and doesn't condemn them outright. Those who trust in riches will not enter into the Kingdom of God, as said by Jesus (Mark 10:24).

Any thoughts?

Willing to be corrected...

2010/12/21 4:25Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

It is so that no man would seek Gods Face, no not one.

It is that the rich young ruler could not seek God, even though he ask what must I do. If man could of his own will believe God then the rich young ruler had no excuse. Even though he ask what must I do, he was not willing to do it. If God had drawn this man to Jesus, not by his will but by the will of God, he could do what Jesus told him to do.

This is the age old quest of man to make himself capable of choosing God on his own merit. Not Gods predestination or election.

I can only believe what it took to bring me to Jesus, kicking and screaming all the way, unable to choose what I should to give myself salvation because I believed, I did not. I had a knowledge of God from the earliest of my recollection, which began about 2 or 3 years of age. God worked on me until He drew me to everlasting life in His Son and I believed. I know I could not have done it of myself, for my heart wanted to but could not. Slowly but surely I believed and began the long road I am still on. At first I tried to keep the law and wanted every one else to keep it or they came under my utmost contempt for their sin. All that did was run every one away, including my own family. Next I left it all up to God and even my own sin was up to Him. It has taken almost 40 years to get to my understanding by His Holy Spirit Teacher, of who I am and what I am to God, my responsibility by His working in me mightily that I might accomplish what God intended me for before I was ever born, that is to be a born again son of God by His Incorruptable Seed in me, that is Jesus Christ who is now my only life. "Christ in you the Hope of Glory"

I have no new revelation on election but as for me;

"Who can doubt that what God does He always meant to do? When, therefore, He converts and saves a soul, it is clear that He always intended to do it. He has no new plan. It is not an after-thought. It is not the work of chance. If I can find out any thing that God has done, I have the most certain conviction that he always meant to do it--and this is all that is intended by the doctrine of election or predestination. What God does, He always meant to do. What He permits, He always meant to permit. I may add further, that if it is right to do it, it was right to intend to do it. If there is no injustice or partiality in the act itself, there is no injustice or partiality in the intention to perform it. If it is right to save a soul, it was always right to intend to save it. If it is right to condemn a sinner to woe, it was right to intend to do it. Let us, then, look at the thing itself; and if that is not wrong, we should not blame the purpose to do it, however long it has been cherished." This statement by Albert Barns confirms what I have been through and believe is truth when it comes to myself and this rich young ruler, it must be of God or we all would walk away wishing we could have the true desire of our heart, which we don't understand, that is to love God with a love that is real, which must come from Him to begin with, "Christ in me the Hope of Glory".

All I know is He drew me to His Son, Praise God.

John 6:43-48 Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves. No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me ((((draw)))) him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me. Not that any man hath seen the Father, save he which is of God, he hath seen the Father. Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that believeth on me hath everlasting life. I am that bread of life.

Strong's Greek Dictionary
1670. helkuo
Search for G1670 in KJVSL
elkuw helkuo hel-koo'-o
or helko hel'-ko; probably akin to 138; to drag (literally or figuratively):--draw. Compare 1667.

Still being dragged unto Jesus, praise God I have all eternity to learn who My Father is and who His Son is, now my only Life, by the Holy Spirit who is in me forever.

2010/12/21 20:29Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

I see you got your Thomas Jefferson's Bible.
You are no less an idol worshipper than that man that was bound by his money.

2010/12/21 20:53Profile
ArtB

New York

Re: Context Context Context

I have a few questions to ask that may clarify what Jesus ministry was when he was 12 yers of age until His death on the Cross.

Did Jesus (or His disciples) ever publicly preach the New Covenant during His earthly life?

Did Jesus ever seek the gentiles to preach the gospel to them?

What was Jesus stated evaluation of gentiles during His ministry on Earth?

What did Jesus mean (?) when he stated

Mt 5:17-19
7 "Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill. For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." NASU

Is your salvation dependant on keeping these commandments That God (YHWH) gave through Moses?

Does the New Covenant come with any Commandments?

Have fun :)

2010/12/21 22:33Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

What is a Thomas Jefferson Bible?

2010/12/21 23:27Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Did Jesus (or His disciples) ever publicly preach the New Covenant during His earthly life? No

Did Jesus ever seek the gentiles to preach the gospel to them? No

What was Jesus stated evaluation of gentiles during His ministry on Earth? Dogs

Is your salvation dependant on keeping these commandments That God (YHWH) gave through Moses? No

Does the New Covenant come with any Commandments?
"A new commandment I give you" Joh 13:34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
1Jo 2:8 Again, a new commandment I write unto you, which thing is true in him and in you: because the darkness is past, and the true light now shineth.
2Jo 1:5 And now I beseech thee, lady, not as though I wrote a new commandment unto thee, but that which we had from the beginning, that we love one another.

How do we love? Like Him, through His life of faith in me; Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

I have a question for You; Do you believe that the Spirit of Christ lives in you and He is now your life?

2010/12/21 23:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy