SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Should women where veils today?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Michelle,

I always understood this passage to say this is an issue we do not argue about: the women veil their heads when praying and prophesying and the men bare their heads when doing the same.

EDIT: How do you understand it?

ginnyrose

2010/12/20 21:13Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Yes, I like that translation. :)
The way the KJV puts it, kind of makes it sound like you should say "we don't have this custom at all."

Thanks.

2010/12/20 21:28Profile
bible4life

Locport, Illinois

Re:

Basically it is saying that this is the order that we are suppose to have in the church of God and that their is not another way about it, but what I just spoke of. Some people think the veil wearing was for that culture and time period, but I think Paul does away with that view when he says it is for the angels. This is something that still should be kept today. Yes we are living in grace, but their are certain commands and proper ways to enter worship before a Holy God, you read that we must examine ourselves too before we partake of the Lords supper, because this is something holy before God. Galatians tells us to not let our freedom give us an occasion to the flesh.

2010/12/21 5:23Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
Yes we are living in grace, but

Just a comment about 'grace'.

How you understand it makes a lot of difference how one approaches NT commands. Are they suggestions or commands? Big difference. A lot of it depends on how you define 'grace'. Is it license to live as my natural nature dictates? Or, is it enabling power of God to live for Him?

As I study the NT, the Acts of the Apostles, we see grace functioning as being the enabling power of God given to his children to live for Him, to be able to live far beyond themselves, their own strength. Consider Peter - that wimp who denied the LORD but only a few weeks later stood up boldly and preached. The difference was the enabling power of the Holy Spirit - and somewhere in this mix is grace. It is hard to separate the two.

Just my two cents...

ginnyrose

2010/12/21 7:39Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I have never been really up on this topic but kind of understand the foundation of it, its about submission correct? May I ask does God want inner submission or outer submission more? I understand the symbolism but feel there is a greater need of inner submission than outer. If a woman wears a cover to show submission but isn't submited in heart then does the veil do much good? Just some thoughts on the subject.

2010/12/21 7:47Profile
rainydaygirl

Re:

Quote:
May I ask does God want inner submission or outer submission more? I understand the symbolism but feel there is a greater need of inner submission than outer. If a woman wears a cover to show submission but isn't submitted in heart then does the veil do much good?

That was kind of my thoughts on this matter too. I have prayed about this on several occasions and while I do not feel convicted to wear head covering I do respect these other ladies who follow the convictions the Lord places on their hearts.

rdg

2010/12/21 8:04Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Scripture teaches us that OUT of the Abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh. What one does reveals to others what is in the heart.

Having said all this we are also very much aware of the problem of hypocrisy - doing things to make people think one thing other then what actually is. This is a problem that dogs each one of us. Have we learned to be transparent before our brothers and sisters? How honest are we? Are we willing to submit to the scrutiny of our brothers and sisters in the LORD? Are we willing to submit to the LORD as Jesus did to the Father? May I suggest that to be submissive in heart will be followed by acts of submission.

Matthew, the issue is much more then submission, it is also about the Angels. The WORD does not share how this works out in the life of a veiled woman, but I suspect that a godly woman who veils knows something about it on the personal level and it is sacred to her.

The symbol of the veiled head for the woman and the bare head for the male teaches us something about headship. It is all tied together, one cannot separate it.

It is a very interesting topic, one that leaves me feeling awed by how much Jesus loves me as a female, that I am not a second rate creature but loved by God. Can't get more special then that, can you?

ginnyrose

2010/12/21 8:30Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Amen Sandra.

I definitely know very little about the covering of the head. I suppose my ignorance is great in this area. Perhaps I will do a deeper study on the subject to better understand.

2010/12/21 8:50Profile

Re: Should women where veils today?

There is a detailed post from earlier this year by savannah relevant to this discussion, here:

http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?forum=35&topic_id=33536&post_id=250472&viewmode=thread&order=0

2010/12/21 9:18
learnermike

Oklahoma

Re:

My wife does. She started to about two years ago. We had come to a place where we wanted to do what the Bible said. She brought it up to me one day and asked if I thought she should cover. I said" No, no, your hair is your covering." She said,"Well Paul sure does go through some effort to talk about it it would seem redundant for him to change at the end and then say "your hair is your covering". I said "I'm just not sure."

We left it there and then we met a few people that covered. I was asking about it and this brother pulled out his Bible and tried to show me, but I just did not see it.

We had been prossessing missions in dangerous countries and we were "seriously" processing the possibility of dieing for Jesus. We had been in a "feel good" church for a while and were sensing our need to die to ourselves (literally or internally).

I started looking into the covering subject and i was looking at the Scriptures carefully one night and then I saw it! 1 cor 11:6 For if a woman does not cover her head, let her also have her hair cut off...

I thought,"she had hair!" "and it was not considered the covering that Paul was referring to" "he is talking about an additional covering"

And then Paul says in vs 16 But if one is inclined to be contentious, we have no other practice, nor have the churches of God.

So we "took a deep breathe" ,and wanting to do what the Bible said even though almost no one else where we lived in Oklahoma City was doing it, we decided to do it.

I tell you, I believe for sure that a clean outside and a filthy inside will in no way gain a person access to the Kingdom of God (Period!) But we want to love the Lord in our hearts and in our actions.

I also tell you for just an "mere external thing" it really stirred things up. It brought many vanity issues up to the surface that my wife and i did not even know were there. It got my wife on path of applying the attributes described for Christian women in the New Test, by Paul and Peter.
It has been a sign to everyone around us that we want to stand for God's Word no matter what the majority is doing. (we have a long way to go in that one).
My wife and I have never had more opportunities to talk about the Lord to people. My wife is a walking tract.
It has helped to establish the order described in Corinthians in our home.
It has also been a point of contention with our family. Most of our family profess Christianity, but when My wife made that change it rocked the boat a little. My wife's family threatened to have nothing to do with our family.
They have settled down since. But it also opened my eyes to see that not every "Christian" looks at God's Word the same; as far as how authoritative it is or how symbolic it is or how literal it is.

For us, we don't ever want to hear God say something like why didn't you just do what I said? Why did you listen to men instead of my Word. Why did you listen to a theologian instead of my Words?

Ok that being said, we were not in this place 3 years ago. and we have so far to go as far as considering ourselves obedient to God's Word.

I believe that is the important part, being obedient! Being obedient to the Word of God.
I do not condemn those who do not cover. I believe it is right and I believe it not only an external thing, but in our lives it has seemed to be a place of dying to ourselves.

God Bless You
Following Him is what is important, not following man, or preachers and not my words. He has the words of eternal life!

If you want to see a picture of my wife you can go to our blog http://truelightelectric.blogspot.com/
Moderators if you don't want me to do that i will edit the post and delete the link. Thank you

2010/12/21 19:26Profile

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy