SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Do you practice what you preach?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

Do you practice what you preach?

I had an interesting conversation with a good friend that frequents the forums, Everstosama. We began to discuss something that I thought would be a fruitful discussion.

Before you ever preach something do you faithfully practice it and if so what areas can you preach with a clear conscious about to a group or congregation knowing you practice exactly what you are talking about?

We found that we as brother in Christ we had to completely different topics we felt we could preach on and then started to discuss the different measures of things God gives us as individuals to balance the whole out.

2010/12/15 0:15Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re: Do you practice what you preach?

I was suprised to find really thinking on it that I had one solid topic I could truly preach on and that was On God's Grace.

I have been the benefactor of it for so long it seems God has blessed me greatly while I still don't deserve any of it. I am still blown away and amazed by God in His Grace, that if I turn to Him, He will love and accept me. Quite Amazing :)

2010/12/16 17:39Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Brother, I have been wanting to comment on this thread since you posted it, but I have had a nueron-frying busy couple weeks and have not had much time, I think this is an excellent topic.

2010/12/16 18:38Profile

Should we even preach like that?

Romans 2:21 Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?

Romans 2:22 Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?

If we preach the do's and don't's we are setting ourselves up for a fall.

I had to stop telling others how to live. On every count that I pointed my finger on in someone's life, the very law was accusing me of the very same thing.

I found out that when I tried to do good in preaching against sin, evil was present with me. I have to find another way to preach so that I am not condemned in the process of condemning others for what they are doing.

When I've found that other way, I'll let you know.

2010/12/16 19:57
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

No worries! I have been busy too so I understand that whole rigamaroll :) I appreciate you wanting to put your whole focus on the topic, from what I have discussed with others on this it was actually reall good conversation.

It has made me look at my strengths and my weaknesses to improve and grow in both, and areas I find I am weak at I find brothers and sisters in Christ that are strong in to help lift me up. Its really quite awesome. :)

I understand that answering this question is also a probing one that might take time to answer, so please by all means take your time :)

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/12/16 20:03Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

"Should we even preach like that?"

This is a good question, I believe everytime we preach it can speak against sin but in light of Grace and it abounding all the more. I suppose my question could be worded better as to say...

Do you beliefs line up with your testimony? Meaning do you LIVE what you believe or when writing a sermon does it line up with your testimony. This doesn't have to be in the area of Sin, Take Grace I can preach about Grace because I believe and know that Christ has offered me Grace abounding not only because the bible tells me so but because I have experienced this Grace and know it personally.

2010/12/16 20:11Profile
Jeremy221

Re: The Source

This might turn into a heated but greatly beneficial discussion. There is a sermon by Zac Poonen about the Real Jesus where He makes the point that Jesus Christ preached what He practiced. I remember hearing that and thinking that was very good and ought to be objective of every Christian. However, when I read through this thread, I realized that that principle does not go to the true root. The thing that came to mind was 1 Corinthians 7, the chapter where the apostle Paul gives instructions about married and single life in the context of pursuing God wholeheartedly. In this passage Paul could speak from his experience about living single minded as a single but he did not have experience in married life. Paul wrote with a different authority, that of speaking the Word he had received from God. Jesus Christ did the same. He testifies about Himself that He only does and says the things He sees the Father saying and doing.

So we need to address how one knows where the inspiration for a message or taking a conversation in a certain direction comes from. Please make sure you pray before responding, this is a very holy responsibility.

2010/12/16 20:48Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Matthew,

I don't really know if this is what you are asking for or not but here goes... :)

We all have topics that we like to share on but I think it goes deeper than even "our" topics. I believe that each one of us can walk so close with the Holy Spirit that when He says to change the topic of the message (at the last minute), that we can hear and obey; even change the whole service if necessary.

And I do praise God that I have an example to share with you; at the church I used to attend (years ago), a man walked in at 10:00 am and when it was time for the singer to get up (which she did), the preacher immediately went to the pulpit without a word to anyone. No singing, no worshiping, nothing!

Later the preacher said privately, “As soon as the man walked in, the Lord said, ‘Preach now.'” The preacher prayed afterwards and the Lord explained that this fellow would have left during the singing and God wanted him to hear.

This man was not special and I submit that is how much the Lord loves each one of us. "Be instant in season and out of season..." 2 Tim 4.2 He would do that for so many more of us if people listened to the Holy Spirit instantly. (which includes me as well).

God bless,
Lisa

2010/12/17 6:51Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I had to stop telling others how to live.

Is this not what Jesus did? and later the apostles? Tell others how to live?

Quote:
I found out that when I tried to do good in preaching against sin, evil was present with me

Good. If a preacher is not being convicted of his own sin while preaching under the power of the Holy Spirit, his message is useless.

To assume that you can only preach after yo are 'perfect in your own eyes' will lead one to serious delusion. It will either silence the speaker or it will induce him to water down the Gospel.

I have heard many preachers say their sermons convict them mightily. Now if you are not willing to repent after preaching your sermon, I would guess there is a sin problem residing within that needs to be dealt with, just like the person in the pew.

I love to teach Sunday School, ages do not matter. However, after teaching adults, I have spiritual struggles after wards. They usually come in the form of attacking my delivery, my expounding, not the content. I know this is one of the spiritual hazards of publicly teaching the WORD. It is not pleasant. I am also told this is common to preachers ....The enemy works hard to silence the purveyor of the WORD. Let us not allow him to stop us.

God bless....

ginnyrose

2010/12/17 9:59Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Quote:
Later the preacher said privately, “As soon as the man walked in, the Lord said, ‘Preach now.

As I was reading that, my body was shivering.. Shouldn’t that be the source of all sound preaching, the leading of the Holy Spirit. The only way to convict sinners.

But those whom God leads are the same who spend time with Him and empty themselves from any personal agenda, ambition. They are those who can say to others: ‘ I have conducted myself in the world with simplicity and godly sincerity, I have lived with pure conscience before God and man, I have caused no offence to the Gospel, I have not robbed any one, cheated any one, I have not shunned to give you the whole counsel of God therefore I am innocent from the blood of all… Follow me therefore even as I follow Christ. “

2010/12/17 11:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy