Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : forsaking all

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
learnermike

Oklahoma

forsaking all

I am interested to know how others are trying to apply, have been applying or how they think they should apply this scripture in their lives.

Luke 14:33 So likewise, whosoever he be of you that forsaketh not all that he hath, he cannot be my disciple.

I think it would be edifying to also list people from the Bible who lived this out.

God Bless

2010/12/14 22:38Profile

Re: forsaking all

I read this verse as being about making a choice. It's not necessarily about having nothing, but about holding nothing dearer than knowing Christ, and obedience to Him.

Luke 18:28 Then Peter said, Lo, we have left all, and followed thee.

2010/12/17 18:25
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

I know of a young preacher by the name, David Platt who went to India and have seen how other brothers and sisters in the Lord are living in total poverty and want.

He was preaching in Luke and was convicted with the radical demands that Jesus places on His followers to forsake all and follow Him.

He felt he would be a hypocrite if he lived in a big home while other believers could not make it from day to day. so he decided to live in a much smaller home and only have the minimum necessities of life and give the rest away.

He also mentions John Wesley who did the same all his life.

Edit- he has a sermon series 'Radical' of 8 tapes. It is quite good to listen to.

2010/12/17 20:14Profile

Hi learnermike,

This passage is a passage about salvation. Reading in context we see that Jesus is teaching that one must " hate," mother and father, wife and children, brothers and sisters to be His disciple. This word is better translated " prefer," although that is not a strong enough English word but you get the idea. If we do not love Jesus more than all of our family, we cannot be His disciple. If we try and follow Jesus without this sold out love to Jesus we would be like a man who began to build a house but ran out of money and the half finished house would stand as a reminder to all that this man did not have what it took to finish the house, he would be a laughing stock to the world.

Likewise, if you are a king and another king comes against you and has twice the troops, you are like the man who does not have the resources to finish the house, you will be defeated and humiliated if you go up against him. The half hearted man will suffer such humiliations. The rich young rulers who hold back will suffer such humiliations.

He will have all of your life or none of it. When a man is saved, it is because He has given his whole life to Jesus. He has lost his old life but gained eternal life. Now, when the Lord looks into the heart of a man and sees that the man is surrendering his whole life in repentence and death, then He justifies that man, and after justification comes sanctification. God will take what has freely been given. He will not take it all at once, there is a process, but the process can never begin in the man who has not laid down his whole life. And so, the possesions in the context of the passage has nothing to do with material possesions, but the possesions of the heart, which for some may be material, but that is only a small part of it..........brother Frank

2010/12/17 23:24
learnermike

Oklahoma

Re:

I appreciate each post. I am interested in hearing that sermon series by David Platt. Where could I find it? I have heard of other missionaries and even Christians in the States that purposfully live way below their means so that they can give more to kingdom work. I am reminded of the same scripture "alive to God" quoted

Luke 18:28
And Peter said, “See, we have left our homes and followed you.” 29And he said to them, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or wife or brothersb or parents or children, for the sake of the kingdom of God, 30who will not receive many times more in this time, and in the age to come eternal life.”
and

Luke 12:33 Sell your possessions, and give to the needy. Provide yourselves with moneybags that do not grow old, with a treasure in the heavens that does not fail, where no thief approaches and no moth destroys. 34For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.

2010/12/18 0:23Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Mike: I have found this to be a principle or perhaps in a way THE principle to walking with God and growing in Him. We often have a surface view of forsaking all, of denying self and taking up our cross. But I find as I walk with Him, He is continually opening areas of my heart and my life and exposing them to His light and asking that I too forsake myself in this or that area. I tell you it is like dying a death, but the death of me is the ushering in of His life.

2010/12/18 11:37Profile
Lysa

East TN for now!

Bro Mike,

I haven't read the other replies but I believe "forsaking all" is done in stages. I was converted 32 years ago... and you cannot take my old head and put on a young person's body. If you get my meaning. The things I've learned, I've learned from years of walking with the Lord and I understand why the Lord wants "ME" to forsake certain things. But for me to tell a young person in the Lord that they must live like I live, they might not understand at all!! That'd be like telling a five year old they must forsake all their toys, if they are not mature enough to understand, then it's all for not!

WE have a frontal lobe in our brain that doesn't mature until (on the average), we are in our 20's; some mature and understand earlier than their 20's and some do not. I believe it's the same in our Christian walk with the Lord.

Yes, we are to forsake all... that is Bible and I believe it but it's also as grow by the power of the Holy Spirit!

God bless you,
Lisa

2010/12/18 12:01Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

When we talk about the conditions of the kingdom we have to abide by Jesus’ words and methods.
How did Jesus invite people into His kingdom and what did He say?

Did Jesus do like the “Credit Card Companies” do. Does He promise unlimited line of credit with 0% interest until you get a taste of having money at your fingertips, then He reveals the rest of the truth that your interest rate from this point on will be 20%. Did He reason with Himself: ” If I tell them the whole truth upfront, they may not want to come at all.” Or did He give the conditions in BOLD LETTERS .

Is salvation progressive in the sense that we come with half heart, then that increases with time to 60% of the heart, then 70%, and so on. Is it okay to hold unto just one cherished possession? Do people always grow better in their sanctification or can they grow worse. One look in the Scripture can reveal that sometimes we are at our best when we first believed. The author of Hebrew is exhorting the believers to go back and call to remembrance the former days, in which, after they were illuminated, they endured a great fight of afflictions.

It is interesting that some times it is the young believers who are willing to give all, while those who have been in the faith for years have grown stagnant. Jesus did not ask us to understand. He is asking us to obey. Obeying only when we have full understanding is not obeying with a heart of trust. Is it risky to follow Jesus? You bet it is? In fact, following Him is for those and only those who are willing to risk it all.

2010/12/18 13:47Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Learnermike,
To get the sermons by David Platt. Google search " The church at brookhills", then click " Weekly teachings"
The sermons are on page 6 and called " Radical"

you will be greatly blessed.
I encourage all of you to listen, you will not regret it.

2010/12/18 16:26Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Untobabes,

Are those sermons the same as the book by David Platt?

THanks

2010/12/18 16:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy