SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Paying the rent or feeding the poor

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Paying the rent or feeding the poor

From what I can understand the early church gathered in houses. Now we seem to require special buildings, to the extent that most non Christians would identify the building as the church rather than the people inside.

It worries me that in many churches it costs so much to run, with rent/mortgage etc, so that when you give, it barely covers that, let alone leaving enough to help the poor in your congregation and the wider world.

I think it would be great to have our services at the local public park! What does everyone else think?

2010/12/4 18:22
White_Stone

North Central Florida

Re: Paying the rent or feeding the poor

I agree with your thoughts. :-)

white stone

2010/12/4 18:35Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Sister Andie you are 100% in this matter. This has been something that I have struggled with as well. The sad thing is not only do NonChristians identify the building as the church but the people in the building identify the building as the church. I live in a small town and so the churches are small and often fincially struggling barely paying the costs of the building along with helping and ministering to the poor.

It breaks my heart to know this fact and is ulitemately why I give my "tithes and offerings" to the poor directly.

I do acknowledge that a building can be a quite a handy tool if its not fincially choking the church out.

2010/12/4 18:42Profile
jimp

Re:

hi,we often fall into the either or trap...sometimes it can be both and... it depends on the amount of people and the giving of those coupled with frugality of the church administrators. we meet in simple metal buildings and give millions to missions.we also meet in small groups in homes and parks and restaurants each week all over the area.if you live where you have hurricanes as we do in south louisiana it is easy to see who has a heart for the city and who doesnt in times of stress...we were perfect until they let me in lol...love you all and wish you all could be blessed to have as many great churches in your area as we are blessed to have in baton rouge.jimp

2010/12/4 19:20Profile
sonsigns

Brumley Missouri

I see no problem with local park meetings and in-home meetings. Jesus ministered from a boat.

2010/12/4 20:17Profile

great idea. I hope this catches on.

Church has lost it's meaning. I hate going on Sundays when it's not about Christ anymore. It's about us.

2010/12/5 0:10
jimp

Re:

hi, the early church held everything in common,so please bring all your stuff and monies to my house so we might evenly dole it out.Jesus came for us...the most important thing we can have is a loving intimate knowlege of Jesus.it is all about us...Jesus and us...jimp

2010/12/5 4:08Profile
RainMan

Re:

Quote:
Church has lost it's meaning. I hate going on Sundays when it's not about Christ anymore. It's about us.

couldnt agree more.

When the churches idea of the gospel is going out to the streets and preaching a rhetoric that ignores sin and mans need for a Savior and simple preaches Jesus is a great guy come sit in our shinny new air conditioned building then count me out

2010/12/5 5:04Profile

Re:

There is nothing wrong with meeting in parks or in homes. My wife and I have done that before and it is a real blessing.

The trap I have fallen into before, and I would give warning to everyone about this trap is that when we begin to do that it's easy for spiritual pride to seep in. If we are not careful we can begin to look with disdain upon churches that meet in a building.

I'm reading a book right now called "The Tale of Two Sons" by John MacArthur. It's a study of the parable of the Prodigal Son. In chapter 2 of part 1 MacArthur says "It wouldn't do for us to make the same mistake of the Pharisees. Scripture doesn't give us room to stand in the distance, looking disparagingly at the Pharisees and thanking God we are not like THEM!"

For those who have ears to hear...

Now, the church we attend has a small modest building. There is nothing wrong with that, and the fact is that without that facility there are certain ministries to the poor and to the unregenerate that would be very difficult to operate. And the fact is God provided that building in a very miraculous way. The church has been in existence for over 5 yeasrs... and only in the last 6 months has it had a building. And praise God for it.

So while I completely agree that the church can meet wherever or whenever and God is there, we must be very careful that we do not start to look down our noses at others and assume a pharisaical stance.

It can happen. I've seen it and done it. God had to smack me around a bit to snap me out of it.

2010/12/5 6:40
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
From what I can understand the early church gathered in houses. Now we seem to require special buildings, to the extent that most non Christians would identify the building as the church rather than the people inside. It worries me that in many churches it costs so much to run, with rent/mortgage etc, so that when you give, it barely covers that, let alone leaving enough to help the poor in your congregation and the wider world. I think it would be great to have our services at the local public park! What does everyone else think?

I would say that it really doesn't matter what the world identifies as the church but rather what God identifies. He is forging a vessel that is an expression of the life and light of Jesus Christ. I don't think a building (or lack thereof) makes much of a difference, it's about a body of people in union with Christ through the Holy Spirit.

Over and over we have seen that when such a body is gathered together that the congregation will gladly and easily meet the need of both building costs and charitable Christian work. The hearts of the people will be moved to do this willingly and with joy.

The building is a safe place to meet and teach our children and stands as a beacon to the community as a place where people can come and meet God because He dwells among and in the people who gather there. A house of prayer unto all nations.

In Christ,

Ron

2010/12/5 19:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy