SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Favorite Book of the Bible.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

removed by poster

2010/12/1 0:20Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

There are three books I just love - I can't confine it to just one book.

1. Ecclesiastes. It is practical; it deals with one's perception of life, things, values and what is really important and explains why the unimportant is unimportant.

2. Isaiah. The book speaks much of the wrath of God against sin and then it speaks much of the mercy of God. All the while demonstrating what God is like and how he responds to people. Excellent theology found there...not wordy, but brief - if you are looking for it. And then there are times when God's humor shines through.

3. Revelation. This book is similar to Isaiah but the context is different. The glory, the beauty, the majesty of God/Jesus is richly demonstrated in it. His wrath is revealed as is his mercy. I love to read it and let my imagination soar with the wonderful descriptions Brother John shares about what he saw. And I get the sense the LORD Jesus partners with me when I do this. :-)

ginnyrose

2010/12/1 0:28Profile
Giggles

Re:

I have thirsted for Colossians, danced in 2 Corinthians, and adored the gems contained within the Minor Prophets, BUT Romans I cannot live without.

"This letter is truly the most important piece in the New Testament. It is purest Gospel. It is well worth a Christian’s while not only to memorize it word for word but also to occupy himself with it daily, as though it were the daily bread of the soul. It is impossible to read or to meditate on this letter too much or too well. The more one deals with it, the more precious it becomes and the better it tastes."

~Luther.

I concur.

2010/12/1 2:30Profile
fromtheold

South Africa

Re:

1 John and Ecclesiastes

2010/12/1 4:16Profile
jimp

Re:

hi,the gospel of john...romans...hebrews...jimp ot ruth..

2010/12/1 5:12Profile

Re: Favorite Book of the Bible.

Quote:
Hard to pick.

I'd say!

I'm not even sure it's 'okay' to have a 'favourite' book of the Bible.

And when it comes to personal devotions, I don't; daren't.

However, for scope over the message of the Bible, I'd pick Hebrews and Ephesians, John and Matthew, Romans and Galatians, Genesis, Exodus, Deuteronomy, Joshua, Acts, Timothy, Titus and Peter.

I have been amazed at how God can speak through every line of the most mundane record, and wouldn't relegate those that I haven't mentioned - like Psalms and the prophets - to any lower a place than books which are easier to read or easier to understand, or, God has used in the past to bless me... especially the bits I don't understand. Got to read them again!

2010/12/1 6:25
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
I have been amazed at how God can speak through every line of the most mundane record,

AMEN! and AMEN!

I discovered this one day when I decided to read the book of Numbers. It consists of details upon details - something I normally find agonizingly boring. In any case I read it. Doing so opened my eyes to how much God is interested in the smallest details! I mean the smallest details! I was enthralled! So, then, this means God is still very interested in the tiniest details in all of life, as well as mine! and yours, too. WOW! He is awesome!

Now you have the genealogy - something normally boring, at the best. Much inspiration there. But you have to dig for it. Sometimes it consists of a few words which can set your imagination soaring. Other times it will help one to connect the dots when you ponder the social interaction between people. And you discover that human nature has not changed in the years since. Now that is something to ponder, as well.

Tons of blessings in the most obscure places - this is the beauty of the WORD.

EDIT: Besides all this it is very much alive, unlike any other piece of literature.

ginnyrose

2010/12/1 9:23Profile

Re:

Absolutely Ginny!

You even have God's plan of redemption in Genesis 5.

My kids have commented about the strange names in the Bible, but I tell them, they all have meaning.

This is all in Genesis 5. The Gospel.

Adam------------Man
Seth-------------Appointed
Enosh-----------Mortal
Kenan-----------Sorrow
Mahalalel-------The Blessed God
Jared------------Shall come down
Enoch-----------Teaching
Methuselah-----His death shall bring
Lamech---------The despairing
Noah------------Rest, or comfort

Man appointed mortal Sorrow; The Blessed God Shall come down Teaching; His death shall bring the despairing Rest, or Comfort

2010/12/1 9:29
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re: Favorite Book of the Bible.

Romacorinthebrews if that is possible. :-)

2010/12/1 18:35Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

"Romacorinthebrews if that is possible. :-)"

Sure it is good choice :)

2010/12/1 20:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy