SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Why True Protestants REJECT the pope!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread

Re:

I am pro-Jesus.

I am pro-Bible.

...and that puts me at odds with anything else.

2010/11/22 13:08

Re:

Now, why can't I say things so concisely?

;-)

2010/11/22 14:01
roadsign

Re: If only things were black and white

QUOTE: No one is anti-people.

This is no doubt the intent, Pilgrim. Yet, I can’t help remembering Zwingli who executed someone for insisting on believer’s baptism by immersion! Executing heretics was common behaviour back then. Today Christians use words just as effectively to damage people – even when they believe they are defending truth. When they get the backlash, they may very well assume that they are persecuted for Christ’s sake – when they are actually be persecuted for their un-Christlikeness.

PILGRIM’S QUOTE: Jesus twice said in Revelation, that "I hate the doctrine of the Nicolaitans".

This is a great point, and it leads to many other points - for example, the context. These Ephesian Christians are definitely on Jesus’ side when it comes to the Nicolaitans. Yet they are being judged for having forsaken their first love. (Rev. 2:4) In other words they are being told: You folks are all fantastic at diagnosing the heretics, but you are not good at diagnosing your own hearts. You have strayed away from Christ - even while you are zealously persevering for his name’s sake.

Perhaps I am tossing in a monkey-wrench here, and my apologies! I am not attempting to downplay the falseness of false teachings or the need to address them. It’s just that we must think about where and how we draw the lines between black and white.

Just a wee example, to explain my concern:

I have a friend who, in our conversations, would often denounce her Catholic past. It was easy to agree with her. We found no difficulty condemning historical papacy. Our discussions were tempting my friend (and me) to feel superior. They also did more to help her feel justified in leaving the church than to recognize her need for a Savior. We needed to change our focus from the badness of the badguys (who were not even a threat to either of us) to the truth about our inner selves.

That’s where I’m coming from. Perhaps it seems that I am compromising the cross because I resist our tendency to focus on the problem of the heretics. But, really, I am calling us, myself included, towards the cross, where alone we are purified and transformed into lights of the gospel.

“For our struggle is not against the flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, and against powers of this dark world.” Eph. 6: 12

Diane

2010/11/22 15:16Profile

Re: Why True Protestants REJECT the pope!

i'm wondering if anyone actually LISTENED to Ian Paisley's sermon, "Why True Protestants Reject the Pope"?

http://www.sermonaudio.com/playpopup.asp?SID=6846

that was my original intent.

humbly, neil

2010/11/22 15:49

Re: A different color than black or white....The blood color.

It's a very good observation that you made Diane, [ Roadsign ]. We can elevate ourselves as righteous as we step upon the obvious unrighteous; [Catholics and their doctrines].

The battle is to speak the truth in love and stand in Christ, as the battle is presented to us. Jesus desired that His people, the Jewish Pharisee's, would repent, and lay down their covetous heresies that elevated them.

He said in Matthew 23:15
"Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye compass sea and land to make one proselyte, and when he is made, ye make him twofold more the child of hell than yourselves.!".......................

By saying so, does this mean that He didn't love them? Of course not...He did. Yet, they were murdering people who followed them, that surely thought that this was the way to God; as are the masses in Roman Catholicism.

"But, really, I am calling us, myself included, towards the cross, where alone we are purified and transformed into lights of the gospel."...Diane... Amen..
And While we are doing so, let us reach out in love to those who are perishing, not as self righteous, but desiring them to know the One true God, not the counterfeit.

2010/11/22 16:04

Re:

Quote:
Now, why can't I say things so concisely?

Years of practice... (if you only knew)

:-)

2010/11/22 18:07

Re:

Neil, Sorry, I did not listen to Ian and am listening to it now. I love Ian Paisley and his courageous stand for the Lord through the years. The political world is married to the religious world and it was no more evident than when they worked together long ago to ban him from the USA.

I think recently (2009) he has been allowed back in.

2010/11/22 20:03
roadsign

Re:

NEIL SAID: i'm wondering if anyone actually LISTENED to Ian Paisley's sermon, "Why True Protestants Reject the Pope"?

Yes, I did, Neil. I also did a brief search on Rev. Ian Paisley. Until recently, he was a political leader in Protestant Northern Ireland and a strong opponent of Catholicism, (as is abundantly evident in this sermon). He is also a Free Presbyterian minister and revivalist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Paisley

Paisley’s life has been a merging of politics and faith.

There is also an article about him here:
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/paisleys-path-and-how-it-cost-him-close-friends-13391175.html

2010/11/22 20:24Profile

Re:

Well, yes, I think when you talk about Catholic doctrine all kinds of monkey wrenches get thrown in. It is very easy to go off on several different tangents.

I would agree with what BrotherTom recently said.

"The battle is to speak the truth in love and stand in Christ, as the battle is presented to us. Jesus desired that His people, the Jewish Pharisee's, would repent, and lay down their covetous heresies that elevated them."

2010/11/22 20:28

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy