Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Catechism

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Catechism

Does anybody have any thoughts on the value and place of a using a catechism as ONE tool in helping to disciple other believers, especially as a means of teaching the faith systematically to one's children? We are considering developing something like it at my church, which is part of the Pentecostal tradition, and is not exactly known for using such a tool.

Thoughts?

2010/11/8 11:46Profile
TaylorOtwell

Arkansas

Re: Catechism

I've really enjoyed them.

The one that is most imprinted on my mind is the Westminster Shorter Catechism. It helps build a quick reference in your mind for the Christian faith. It can actually be a great means of comfort. For instance, memorizing the question on justification, along with a few of the proof texts, and thinking about them in times of doubt and despair can be very comforting. It also provides a simple, systematic way to train disciples in the Christian faith. Training by question and answer is an ancient, time-tested practice of inculcating the faith.

Also, I know of no better guide to prayer than the questions on prayer from the Westminster Larger Catechism. Seriously, you should read it, brother. When I was in college I printed the questions and answers out for the guys in our Bible study.

2010/11/8 12:10Profile
Renoncer

Re:

A good systematic theology is extremely helpful for right doctrine. If you choose to use the Westminster Catechism or the Heidelberg Catechism, just make sure you can go back to Scripture to find out the basis for these doctrinal statements. Quoting the Catechism will not have any power against Satan. Only the Word of God is authoritative and powerful, sharper than a two-edged sword. A systematic theology helps to divide the Word accurately, but should never replace it.

2010/11/8 18:05Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Well, like I said, we are possibly just looking to utilize these things as a tool. Nothing more. Based off my preliminary research thus far, I cannot find a single Pentecostal church that uses a catechism to help instruct. Many use "ciriculum," but none have a formal catechism.

2010/11/8 18:15Profile
davidc

France

Do you know of any references to the early church using catechisms, or can you find any scriptural justification for them?

David

2010/11/8 18:32Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

I have done catechetical instruction in my home and I beleive it is an excellent method of teaching children to memorize. Unfortunately this method seems to have been largely lost in our age. The emphasis in this method of teaching is on memorization and therefore there is a danger that we will be satisfied with hearing the children merely recite back some words to us about which they have no real understanding. So we much teach and discuss the material being memorized and the understanding will grow. Truth committed to memory provides the building blocks for such growth.

This teaching and discussing of the material that is memorized is best done in the home where daily real world experiences provide opportunites to apply what the Bible teaches. So, if you're going to do this in a church setting you should definitely get the parents intimately involved.

As you've already mentioned, you will probably have a hard time finding a catechism with a Pentecostal background but if you're open to a Baptist background then I can recommend the Truth and Grace memory books from Founders Press. Not only do they contain catechism's tailored for different age groups but the books also include a solid plan for Scripture memory and hymns.

http://www.founderspress.com/shop/store.php?action=show_detail&crn=205&rn=417

In Christ,

Ron

2010/11/8 18:38Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I know they were used in the early church, but as to the exact date and time they began to be used, I'm not certain. I know of no overt mention of it in the Scriptures, but it seems the "Song of Moses" was used as a sort of catechial tool for the Jews. Likewise, instruction was given in the Law on when one's children asked on certain things, you were to give them a certain response. That's the best I know of.

2010/11/8 18:40Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I was thinking that if churches would start using catechism type tools with the youth, instead of modern day "ciriculum" that is usually loaded with a bunch of feel-good self esteem stuff, we might make tremendous progress with the youth of the Church. None of these things can be a substitute of course, for the child having an intimate and personal relationship with the Lord. But at the same time, I believe children can use a good dose of propositional truths, so they know the actual "facts" of Scripture. It would probably also help parents grow in their faith as well.

2010/11/8 18:48Profile
Lesserlight

Re:

Is there a definitive correct Catechism?

With all the differences between viewpoints from one denomination to the next is there a church anywhere that reflects the fruit confirmed through signs and wonders that were done by the church when the Apostles were at the helm?

I know there are some claims to the supernatural with miracles and healing done by certain well known ministries but I question the legitimacy of those claims.......

I realize that in some new ministries in places where the gospel is being heard for the first time we see some divine works but not so in America...... or let me say very very seldom and far between

God does not change and it was God that worked the miracles through Jesus and the Apostles ...... plus Jesus said that those who followed Him would do greater works so what happened to them if God is not being put off by what He sees coming from the church(s) these days.

The church (Christians) are told to be Holy and sinless but we know that is not the case in the church today. So if the doctrines are the truth than why has God left the church?

Personally I would love to see a bona fide list of instructions that were witnessed by works from God but first we need to find someone who knows what they are.

Blessings

Doug

2010/11/8 19:16Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I have in mind something that just gives basic instruction in the fundamentals of the faith.

2010/11/8 19:20Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy