SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Bible college test and answers

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
knitefall

Bible college test and answers

Shawn Colby
Peter
Rev Borg
chap 1, 2

---In chapter 1 verse 7, Peter talked about the trial of our faith. Why is the trial of our faith so important to us as believers? Why is gold used as the element to illustrate the trial of our faith?---

1.) Our Faith is always on trial. We may have Faith but how do you know it’s Faith unless it is tested? That is why this is important. A false faith is no good unto Salvation. However, proven and genuine Faith will result in a Divine Intervention and change our path of life and final destination after death. As Gold is heated, it becomes pure. It’s color (appearance) even changes as contaminants and alloys are removed. Likewise, Faith given is tested in a specially built furnace for each of those participating in the life of Faith. If there had been a true Biblical repentance experienced by the Believer, not of heartfelt emotion or of shallow confession, the Faith will remain and finish its course to the Ultimate Prize who is our Lord Jesus.

---In chapter 1 verses 15 and 16, Peter mentioned holiness. What does it mean to be holy in our conversation? How can we be as holy as He is holy?---

2.) Great question. One of many to determine the actual Biblical Spirituality of a pastor and lay person by the answer they give. Let’s start by stating what Holiness is NOT:
Holiness is NOT an outward act or appearance.
Holiness is NOT something we can produce of ourselves.
Holiness is NOT some goal to attain in order to achieve some emotional experience.
Holiness is NOT of ourselves by effort on our part.
Now, The Grace and Covenant mentality will give the answer to what Holiness is as this:
Holiness is a right standing given to the candidate by being placed supernaturally IN God, through Jesus and His Sacrifice -freely given- by Faith alone.
Holiness is also kept in this same manner; entering into Cov’t Promises by Grace.
Then, understanding these things, we can walk in obedience to the Spiritual Life IN Jesus. As we are walking IN Him (Spirit Life), as God sees fit, He can choose to manifest in us in the earth(conversation) what has taken place by/in the Spirit/Faith Life.
As we learn of our depth of wickedness, it becomes more and more clear that our soulish nature needs totally bypassed. This is what the Lord has done and that by burying us IN His Son, Jesus. That when God our Father looks down upon us from His Throne, He only would see Jesus (‘the’ Faith on our part) and not our faults, failures, shortcomings and sins that we would still be susceptible to committing ever after Salvation. The act of continual and constant Faith in the Atoning Sacrifice is the process of Sanctification. And a life long made up mindset of that ensures we in our flesh are never ‘seen’ by God. Jesus remains our constant covering in this manner of Faith.

---According to chapter 2 verse 9, briefly explain the four things Peter listed that we are as Christians. What does it mean to show forth the praises of Him?---

3.) a. IN Jesus, we are considered literally by God our Father, to be a New race of people.
b. Royal =’s Kingly and Priest =’s intercessor. The thing about that is, our Lord does not call us anything else but a King and a Priest. A Priest in the Old Testament never condemned but was always about the business of intercession and atonement.
c. This ‘Holy Nation’ is not of this world’s system of establishing self righteousness and earning merit. It does not seek to better ones self by work of the flesh and use of carnal powers.
 d. A ‘Peculiar People/ Nation’ means to make something and then surround it with a circle, signifying ownership. Our Lord formed us through Jesus, for Himself.
‘Showing Forth’ is showing from where something came or where the origin of an action proceeds and ‘the Praises’ is excellencies or from another root word, a man child. So we are to praise the God-man Jesus who lived 2000 years ago and still does and always will live because He came from Heaven. It could be said as well that our Righteousness and Salvation come from Calvary by that same God-man Jesus.

---In chapter 2 verses 13-23, Peter dealt with submission to authority. As believers, why is it important that we submit to: 1) Government; 2) Those whom God puts over us as employer, pastor, etc?---

4.) In short, God has appointed these to rule and govern a land or nations that there might be some form of peace (non-Biblical however) among the unbelievers as the Believers co-dwell in this earth. Keep in mind that the person who said this is the same who tried to cut another’s head off in the garden. So he has come far in submission to Christ. AS we operate the same, we set an example for others. We witness of Christ Jesus in this manner. Enduring wrong for the sake of the Kingdom is going to get the attention of someone. If we are dead to self and really do believe the Gospel, we don’t any longer see ourselves as part of this world and rely totally and completely on God for all things, including revenge. Remember Acts! By persecution, Christianity spread like fire!

I hope you have enjoyed these answers. If any of you have theological doubt or questions in general or comments, all is welcome!

2010/10/29 15:50Profile
knitefall

Re: Bible college test and answers

so no one agrees with what was said? Or is there anything to add?

2010/10/30 15:34Profile
BenWilliams

El Paso, Texas

I have a few comments about your question and answer on holiness.

The literal translation of holiness means, "To be set apart". Holiness is consecration at it's root, and from there, it expands with meaning.

You can consecrate (set apart) yourself, and, God can consecrate you.

When peter says to be holy in conversation, he is telling them to be set apart unto the Lord in conversation.

But it is more than this, it is being set apart for the Lords purpose.

2010/10/30 18:07Profile
knitefall

Re:

Yes, Thank you for the reply. I am always up for good conversation over such things.

In your last comment, the statement, "it is being set apart for the Lords purpose" we might deal with it to bring in focus the other comments.

For the Lord's purpose... I certainly do not imply I have all the answers but I would ask the readers to consider: When our Lord sets about to accomplish something, is that a responsibility of ourselves to produce the work of ourselves(flesh) or is that His Divine Power through an unholy vessel?

If anything has our scent on it, the Lord MUST reject it. Thus, the need for repentance and Faith. By Faith, we are placed and buried IN Jesus. This way, ALL of our soulish powers, attitudes, intelligence, prowess and ability are bypassed. And it is only His Divine 'fingerprint' that remains to whatever is the work towards a Purpose.

When the Lord purposes something, it ends up perfect. The only way it can end up perfect is to not have begun by us, operated by us or finished by us. It still is the Lord doing everything by the Power of His Spirit and not our own filthy hands touching it even after we get Saved.

So being Set Apart is not an outward action and it is not an inward will on our part. Or even logic on our part. It is simply 'not belonging to the world and it's ways.' Of coarse, through the means of the Cross and Belief in the Finished Work.

And I am not stating that we have no part in anything! Rather, the only part that the believer has is to daily die to self's willpower and acquiesce to the Gospel. Which is to go God's -Way- and the Way is a surrendered life planted IN Jesus (Rom 6:3).

I don't have enough words to convey this Spirit Truth, it is only revealed by the Spirit. Prayerfully, the Lord would give Spirit eyes to see.

Great Statement! I encourage others to follow likewise-

2010/10/30 23:34Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, c at best...you can do better.jimp

2010/10/31 5:48Profile

Re: Principle of Separation

This is really interesting and you have struck a chord in me that I need to jot down.

Another clue about holiness is SEPARATION, not just set apart. When reading the Bible think of how SEPARATION plays a role in the Believer's inward and outward life.

God is light and in Him is no darkness at all. 1 John 1:5

The principle of separation all starts right here. Throughout the Bible the Holy Spirit will constantly refer to light and darkness as an illustration for us. Notice, God only calls the light good (below).

"And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters. And God said, Let there be light: and there was light. And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness. And God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And the evening and the morning were the first day." (Genesis 1:2-5)

Now, we don't go in an hide at night and hide from the darkness, likewise, we don't hide from sinners. Jesus walked amongst them, He just did not partake of their sin. He was in the world but not of it.

The Pharisees striving to be holy would not be around the sick, diseased, mentally ill, those of mixed races or "sinners". They thought that kind of separation was holiness.

Some people throw out the principle of separation because they say that the Pharisees separated from everything in their quest to be holy and look where that got them.

Nevertheless, the principle of separation goes hand in hand with set-apart and it makes a good study in the Word.

I would say from reading the word that holiness is contained in the principle of separation. But what is it separation from? Why DARKNESS, of course. If you view holiness as light then LIGHT divided from DARKNESS is HOLINESS. But this is not simply day and night. Read on.

Look at how the Holy Spirit uses the word Light and Darkness and maintains the principle of separation throughout the Bible simply by using Light and Darkness to illustrate holiness.

I don't know if the new Bible versions or your version has changed the word darkness so I have given you the following verses to aid you in your study.

"And this is the condemnation, that light is come into the
world, and men loved darkness rather than light, because
their deeds were evil. For every one that doeth evil hateth
the light, neither cometh to the light, lest his deeds
should be reproved." John 3:19-20 KJV

"Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put
darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter
for sweet, and sweet for bitter!" Isaiah 5:20, KJV

"To deliver thee from the way of the evil man, from the man
that speaketh froward things; Who leave the paths of
uprightness, to walk in the ways of darkness; Who rejoice to
do evil, and delight in the frowardness of the wicked; Whose
ways are crooked, and they froward in their paths:"
Proverbs 2:12-15, KJV

"The night is far spent, the day is at hand: let us
therefore cast off the works of darkness, and let us put on
the armour of light." Romans 13:12, KJV

"For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness,
hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the
knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ."
2 Corinthians 4:6, KJV

"Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for
what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and
what communion hath light with darkness?"
2 Corinthians 6:14, KJV

"For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the
Lord: walk as children of light:...And have no fellowship
with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove
them." Ephesians 5:8, 11, KJV

"Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness, and hath
translated us into the kingdom of his dear Son:"
Colossians 1:13, KJV

"But ye, brethren, are not in darkness, that that day should
overtake you as a thief. Ye are all the children of light,
and the children of the day: we are not of the night, nor of
darkness." 1 Thessalonians 5:4-5, KJV

"But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy
nation, a peculiar people; that ye should shew forth the
praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his
marvellous light:" 1 Peter 2:9, KJV

"If we say that we have fellowship with him, and walk in
darkness, we lie, and do not the truth:" 1 John 1:6, KJV

Pilgrim

2010/10/31 7:37
knitefall

Re:

Hello jimp, alright, how would you answer the test questions?

Pilgrim777, I see you have some thoughts there but I could not work them down to one concise statement. I'm not following, could you clarify by making a direct statement?

Thanks again!

P.S. in thinking about Light... I might offer that seeing this Light, the flesh(foundation of morality in humans. which ='s effects of the fall) cannot ever receive Light. It is not mental(or outward separation) but of the Spirit and by the Spirit revealing. Like when Jesus told Peter he is 'blessed' because he heard from God our Father about who Jesus actually was. Flesh did not/ could not reveal that. That is Light. God is Light. God is the only One to ever 'be alive' in any Biblical sense. So to be set apart in the spiritual sense, we are not among the world's numbers of dead(darkness) but of Light(PHOS)/ light moves and it is alive then. Just a thought.

2010/10/31 9:46Profile
knitefall

Re:

I figured I might quickly add:

during most campmeetings, most preachers would think Revival is to bring the people into a felt emotional high of their idea of Holiness(set apart). So the preachers sets about to bend the hearts of the participants using sad stories or preaching against pet sins to cause a euphoric response. And then you'll hear, "the church needs to repent! In sackcloth and ashes! time to buckle down and get serious! Show God you love 'em!" and all this is, is an act of reintroducing the LAW. Because this demands human effort to ACT in a certain way. Then, when the campmeeting is over, and faces that once 'shone' like Moses' and all that Glory fades, the people realize that campmeet did not work either and so continue to work harder to get back what they lost. Is it a viscous cycle. Law is... but as Christians, we are to be set apart from the old way of living by and under LAW! When you come into the Light, you are free from the deeds of the Law and are free to walk in a newness of Life(Zoe) THAT is -IN- Christ Jesus. IOW, while my body is still alive, it is God's Life at work for me. And He already worked everything at Calvary. So there is no more Work or Righteousness left to accomplish. That is being IN the Light. The Spirit reveals, man says it's greasy Grace... I'll go with God! (:

2010/10/31 9:56Profile
knitefall

Another Brother and I were talking about these things and how the majority of the Church bucks against the Spirit of God. We agreed that What a person believes will determine their view of Scripture.

We also discussed:

that if a beloved believer has a view of God that says God is an angry judge (if we do not perform perfectly) and that He also has not fulfilled all requirements of Righteousness (and has offered to give us freely that Righteousness), then that believer will SOW into his/her own works and attempts to please God. Through almost anything, most of the time calling it "being set apart" on an earthly physical level.

But if the Believer be one who walks(lives) according to the Spirit(alive only IN Jesus) he/she will SOW into the Spirit and reap the things of the Spirit, into the soul and THEN ultimately out through the body.

Who still thinks their Righteousness is earned on their part? Who will stand and say being Sanctified is an outward action?

Amen, Hope this helps-

2010/10/31 15:59Profile
jimp

Re:

hi, if you are into Christ and He is in you;you are holy as you will ever be.holy ground was only holy because of the prescence of the thrice Holy One...Gold is only increased in value when fire heats out the impurities that are within it...our lives are changed only by the conviction of the Holy Spirit and not by anything to do with the flesh. whatsoever is born of flesh is flesh and what is born of the Spirit is spirit...jimp most preaching on sin has us take inventory of our lives and makes us self and sin conscious and self and sin can do nothing to help us...only Jesus and faith in what He did on the cross has any power to redeem us (buy us back)this great Love has great power.in closing ...we sin in the flesh and we will pay for our sin in the flesh for the bible teaches clearly that our sin will find us out.if a man overeats all his life he will become obese and have hip and leg joint problems and other ailments.etc.

2010/10/31 17:25Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy