SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Reward

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Now I believe acknowledging how we define rewards is quite necessary. Anyone want to take a whack at that one?

2010/10/18 11:03Profile
ceedub

Canada

Re:

Seems the scripture is very ambiguous intentially as to what the rewards are.

Seems to to me imho that the two main questions are

1) Should the church be encouraged with the prospect of reward ie, was that the Lord's intent with the many 'reward' passages?

2) What qualifies for reward (1 Cor 3)?

2010/10/19 11:29Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Now I believe acknowledging how we define rewards is quite necessary. Anyone want to take a whack at that one?

Excellent question.

I believe that the general nature of a Biblical reward is that whatever you have given up for the Lord in this life, you will receive whatever that was, but in abundance, in the life to come. For example, in the text quoted earlier Peter said he had left everything to follow Christ: homes, family, etc. And what did the Lord say Peter would receive for sacrificing such? Homes, family, etc.

I believe we see the same principle taught throughout all of the Scripture. For example, in Hebrews 11 it says that these in the hall of fame of faith left their cities, wandering out of them and keeping their eyes upon the heavenly city that is yet to come. Or we could see the same in the life of Job, who lost much before the "death" he underwent, only to have much more fortune restored to him upon his "resurrection." And we can see the same sort of theme time and time again throughout the prophetical writings, where God promised that whatever the gnawing locut devoured, God would one day restore-- and then some.

Thoughts?

2010/10/19 12:10Profile

Re: Reward

I think that we should be concerned that we learn to please God to our fullest. We should be obsessed with learning how to love God, WITH ALL OF OUR HEARTS, and our neighbors on the Earth.

It seems difficult to me to be able to assess our victories, or our possible rewards, because only the Father is able to do this in an omnipotent , complete and eternal way.

He is the only person capable of such determinations, or implemented justice; rewards included. Paul stated for this reason, he did not judge himself.

Luke 17: 7-10
7. And which of you, having a servant plowing or tending sheep, will say to him when he has come in from the field, ‘Come at once and sit down to eat’?

8. But will he not rather say to him, ‘Prepare something for my supper, and gird yourself and serve me till I have eaten and drunk, and afterward you will eat and drink’?

9. Does he thank that servant because he did the things that were commanded him? I think not.

10. So likewise you, when you have done all those things which you are commanded, say, ‘We are unprofitable servants. We have done what was our duty to do.’”

In the end, we are all failures, covered by the blood or not...and much of our "spirituality" will be that we have simply "endured until the end" in faith to be counted among the saved.

I am defintely a "pan-rewardist". Those gifts will all pan out in the end. For now, I just want to know Him, and receive His discipline and chastisement to become like Him. This is my hope.

2010/10/19 13:37
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I have read a book a long while back I don't even remember the title or author, but the individual says that God provides Restoration AND Restitution, which is precisely what Jimmy has pointed too. Though I believe this thing to be true it would be quite bold and prideful to walk into the throne room of God and demand restitution for all we lost while following the Spirit. Paul called the things of this world a big pile of poo so I suppose if you want paid back God is more than able :). My thought is when we stand before God in His Glory everything else will pretty much fall to the wayside.

We must remember that everything that we recieve in Heaven though is Pure Grace and that we cannot change the amount of Love God has for us by our good works. Job was restored and then some not because he was a great servant but because God loved Job and is a good Father.

2010/10/20 1:07Profile

Re: Reward

the reward is the Shalom of God.

to know Him.

2010/10/20 1:25
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I think for me I fear getting to the Judgment seat and realizing how much time I wasted on trivial things instead of exerting myself in seeking Him and His kingdom above all else. We all know there are different degrees of commitment to God among Christians, some more lukewarm than others, barely escaping the fire(1Cor.3:14-15), and others more on fire for God, building on silver and gold or precious metals. I don't want to be one of the ones barely escaping. I'm sure none of us in our right mind want that for ourselves. The best example we have is Christ Himself. For me next to him is Paul the Apostle, as far as an example of a high level of devotion to God we see in Scripture. Sometimes I wonder, is there any saint today who is that devoted or sold out to Christ? If there is, I haven't seen one, and I am challenged to follow those two examples, although I'm far from it at this point.

2010/10/20 1:51Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:
restoration and restitution

Amen, I like that saying a lot! It sent firworks off in my soul. And yes, it's all by the grace of God. We would not give up the things we do were it not of his grace from a to z.

2010/10/20 6:31Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

I think for me I fear getting to the Judgment seat and realizing how much time I wasted on trivial things instead of exerting myself in seeking Him and His kingdom above all else

Amen brother. I hate to know that for several years, I allowed a relationship to distract me from undistracted devotion to our Lord, and storing up treasures in heaven. Indeed, some of the decisions I made then have had financial consequences that still linger with me today.

And I would not say so much that I'm fearful about that day, but moreso, I am angry over the decisions I made that I know ultimately robbed God of much deserved glory. And for what? A kiss. I'm determined with all of my heart to never let that happen again, even if it means I must be single for a longer period of time than I'd like (or my parents would like)

He could've been magnified so much more.

2010/10/20 8:31Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Please understand Jimmy, regret and condemnation are kissing cousins, that's what grace is for.

*edited for poor grammar :)*

2010/10/20 8:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy