SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Reward

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Renoncer

Re:

Part of the challenge in this discussion is miscommunication. For instance, when we think about "rewards", we often think about different things. Some people think of self-centered rewards, while others think of God-centered rewards. Some call the latter rewards, and others do not call it so.

I agree that we will be rewarded according to our works. However, we should carefully consider the nature of the rewards, as well as the origin of such rewards. Namely, the "good works" for which we will be rewarded originate from God's good purpose.
1) Ephesians 2:10 tells us that God has prepared these good works beforehand;
2) Philippians 2:13 tells us that it is God who works it in us to act and to will according to His good purpose;
3) 1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 tells us that God is the one who causes the sanctification, not man.

Consequently, God is not indebted to anyone. He is the one who causes us to serve Him according to His perfect purpose.

Moreover, what motivates obedience is God Himself, specifically Christ and His sacrificial love. As a result, the rewards that are offered by God are not rewards for our glory, but rewards for His own glory. Those rewards are God-centered; that is, drawing attention to the work of Jesus Christ, the worth of Christ, the perfect plan of God, how Christ built His church, how Christ conquered evil, etc. In other words, God will not have the angels sound the trumpets for Mr.Joe in order to tell everyone what fine works Mr.Joe has accomplished during his lifetime. No. Rather, the angels will sound the trumpets in order to let everyone know what glorious redemption God has fulfilled throughout the ages.

All in all, God does not owe us anything; He does not become more indebted to reward us as we "accumulate good works". His redemptive plan is accomplished on the basis of His love that He has poured out on us.

2010/10/17 17:46Profile
MyVeryHeart

Paradise, California

Re:

{edited for finality}

2010/10/17 18:02Profile

Re: Reward

ceedub's original question

Quote:
Most sermons/messages say we shouldn't be concerned with reward but should only serve period. Biblical?

All through scripture, there is a primary reward of knowing God for Himself. That's God's take on it. What He calls us to 'do' for Him is usually a consequence of our relationship with Him. And certainly by the end of any obedience, we find we know Him better.

I would put 'love' of God, as a desirable end which God has in mind. The way He deals with us tries our willingness to be changed into His likeness - into what a proper son should look like. If we don't accept His chastenings, then we may well be compromising our eternal future or the magnitude of any 'reward'.

It came as a surprise to me that there are 'greater' rewards as well as 'greater' damnation. I liked to think God just gave the same measure to everyone, rather as sin is sin. But even some sin is considered 'greater' by God, than others, according to how it will be 'rewarded'.

According to Annie Cousins, 'The bride eyes not her garment, but her dear Bridegroom's face, [she] will not gaze at glory but on [her] King of grace, not at the crown He gifteth but on His pierced hand; the Lamb is all the glory of Immanuel’s land', and I do believe unless we have come to this point, we should be open to the Lord's heart-searching, and that this point is His first concern.

In my mind, the main reason for a willingness to be sifted again and again, is Eph 1:18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of HIS inheritance in the saints,'

Just what is 'HIS inheritance in the saints'?

I've heard one preacher ask, 'If Jesus were to come and sit on your well, what would you have to offer Him, that is FIT for HIM to drink'?

That's a very deep question, which instantly throws rewards into perspective (I think).

2010/10/17 18:18
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

Like I said on my original response to this thread I am interested to see where this thread goes, I have definitely been helped understand this topic through our discussion whether we agree or not. :)

2010/10/17 19:19Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

John Piper has coined a great term to describe what I believe is a proper view of how we as Christians should relate to rewards: Christian Hedonism.

2010/10/17 19:27Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

[27] Then Peter said to Him, "Behold, we have left everything and followed You; what then will there be for us?"

[28] And Jesus said to them, "Truly I say to you, that you who have followed Me, in the regeneration when the Son of Man will sit on His glorious throne, you also shall sit upon twelve thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel.

[29] "And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or farms for My name's sake, will receive many times as much, and will inherit eternal life.

(Mat 19:27-29 NASB)

2010/10/17 19:31Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

It looks like our Lord has in mind some very tangible rewards that are associated with the ages to come.

2010/10/17 19:43Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

"And everyone who has left houses or brothers or sisters or father or mother or children or farms for My name's sake, will receive many times as much, and will inherit eternal life."

Anyone that left house and home recieved many times more of these things because they were apart of the Kingdom of God, if you only had 3 natural brothers but left them for the Kingdom you would then have hundreds of thousands of brothers and sisters in Christ. Christ is speaking of the universal family and its economy while on earth and then say AND will inherit eternal life. I have grown alot from this study, I really don't want it to go south by senseless arguments though. When you accept Christ you are adopted into His family which is far greater than earthly families and since we are Sons of the Living God we inherit the "farmers" as sons, But please note its by grace alone we are Sons of God.

2010/10/18 0:09Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I agree brother. I'm just saying, this is a very tangible thing, and something other than "being clothed with righteousness." As real as that is, you can't put your hands on righteousness. But you can the family of God, and the homes that come with them, both now and in the ages to come.

I was just trying to show a glimpse of what we shall receive when we are awarded.

2010/10/18 6:27Profile
ceedub

Canada

Re:

Quote:
The Bride of Christ follows Him purely because she loves him eternally.

Though I agree with the above statement as it stands, I disagree with the context in trying to use it to say that the church should care nothing of the rewards Jesus promises. The true church will not selfishly seek these things, and that should be obvious to a true believer. They are promised and we are told by Jesus to rejoice greatly in them. To muzzle the ox is wrong, to muzzle the children of God, worse.

Mt 5:12 Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

Shows reward for things we do. Says the reward will be great for persecution. We are told by Jesus to rejoice over the reward that is coming.

1 Tim 5:17 ¶ Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.
18 For the scripture saith, Thou shalt not muzzle the ox that treadeth out the corn. And, The labourer is worthy of his reward.

Shows a rebuke to the man who would take away reward from God's people that serve him well, especially in the word. Again, the Lord is protective of the rewards for his people.

Lu 6:35 But love ye your enemies, and do good, and lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the unthankful and to the evil.

Reward is shown to be given, it seems, for the kind of things that are not rewarded here, ie: loving enemies and giving to those who cannot give back. Again the promise of reward for doing certain things.

1Co 3:8 Now he that planteth and he that watereth are one: and every man shall receive his own reward according to his own labour.

The reward is shown as according to one's own labour.

The rewards are not due because the church selfishly demands them, as some accuse. The rewards are coming because God will be indebted to no one. He will joyfully reward those who labour in His work, His way.

Lu 6:23 Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward is great in heaven...

2010/10/18 10:17Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy