SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : What grace is this?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

Re:

Quote:
And just like the Galatians, they’ve seen and experienced the Spirit of God, the miracles and the gifts (verse 5) and perhaps not firmly planted in the Word of God and along come folk like you and others trying to speak vain words into their ears that don’t profit OR deliver. (1 Samuel 12.21)

You have taken your eyes off the cross and are looking to what you can do IN YOUR FLESH to make you holy and there is nothing and you can’t see it because you are bewitched.

As far as being delivered, i have been delivered, not from the will of God (His law) but i have been delivered from sin, and have been freed to serve my Lord Jesus with all that is in me... when i gave my life to Jesus, i truly started living...
------------------------------
Brother,

This was NOT directed at you at all!! Please note the subject line is to "UntoBabes."

Quote:
Lots of people have been saying on this thread that you can't just follow the Bible, you have to follow the Spirit;

I've tried to read the whole thread but was this actually verbatim... to not follow the Bible? I don't remember reading that exactly. I know that I do not believe that.

Anyway, God bless you,
Lisa

2010/10/14 22:04Profile
JesusIsMyLrd

Iowa, USA

Re:

Quote:
Quote:
I can see how you could interpret that scripture and others in that way, but the fact that the early church Christians didn't interpret it as that

You have proof that they didn't interpret that way? I mean come on brother, were you there?

My proof?

Read what they wrote... :) I think they could speak for themselves :)

Quote:
You put these people way up there as if the mind of man was far different in those days than today, it's still the same today as it was then. There was no universal christian utopia of christian unity and correct thinking in those days, they interpreted the word the same way we interpret it, either by our own fanciful intellect or by hearing the Spirit of God. The same Holy Ghost then is the same one I got.

God has not changed, but many claiming to have His Spirit have tried to change what He meant... Not a slam, i'm just saying...

2010/10/14 22:11Profile
NewCovWinDor

A Little Town In Iowa

Re:

Quote:

"If you want to live by what the bible says, Good Luck! The Jews tried, and even the early Church tried to do a little mixing of the two and they couldn't. Only one man was able to and that was Jesus and it cost Him His life because of it."

Thin ice, brother Snuf... I hope you speak of the Law of Moses (2 Corinthians 3). :)

Consider these words of a pillar in that same early church:

And hereby we do know that we know Him, if we keep His commandments.
He that saith, "I know Him," and keepeth not His commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in Him.
But whoso keepeth His word, in him verily is the love of God perfected: hereby know we that we are in Him.
He that saith he abideth in Him ought himself also so to walk, even as he walked.
(1 John 2:3-6)

You say we oughtn't live by the written Word. I hope this was a slip of the lip! Consider Hebrews 1:2, "[God] hath spoken unto us by His Son..."

Jesus has already very clearly outlined what our lives in Him should look like in Matthew chapters 5-7 and other places. These commands outline to us what we can and should be as born-again followers of Jesus. He gave many consequences in the same passage for not living this way. Why?

We must all beware of the idea that the commands of Jesus are there "just 'cuz." "All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16). Let us take heed then.

The Son has spoken to us clearly - already!

If we have truly experienced the new birth, it will lead to a dramatic change in our life and outlook (2 Corinthians 5:17), including actions (as you alluded to above). This is not by our "willpower," it is by the Spirit's power in us. We must yield to His work in us, though. This is yielding our members as servants of righteousness (Romans 6:14-23 et cetera). There is a CHOICE involved! To do anything less is to live for the flesh.

Beware of error that we don't or can't "choose". It is blasphemy. We must choose to receive Jesus, and choose to obey. I know, this is dancing dangerously close to the ever-present Cal/Arm dispute, but hear me out. :)

This does not mean that we "deserve" anything. We are merely yielding to God's command to believe! In each case, His power is there and He does the heart-changing (John 1:12, et cetera). It has nothing whatsoever to do with "merit". Those that live this way will testify that this is the only true rest they have ever found (Hebrews 4:1-10).

Again brethren, the Son HAS spoken to us! He HAS shown us the way to live! Let us not reject His words, for we will be judged by them (John 12:48). This is how God has chosen to do it... why should we try to explain it away?

"If the common sense makes sense, all other sense is nonsense." Why would God warn us and instruct us and command us clearly, in so many things, by the very mouth of Jesus, if they were not to be obeyed? The very fact that there are CONSEQUENCES implies that there is a CHOICE to be made... whether to obey and yield, or to rebel and reject.

Can we not then strive in God's grace to press onward (Philippians 3:14)? He has promised to be with us (Matthew 28:20), so let's go for it (Hebrews 4:11-16)!

Again, I probably run the risk of being accused of legalism... but this life of faith does involve decisions, and hard ones at times. Yieldedness is the only way to revival and true holiness. I want to be holy by Jesus' blood, for "without holiness no man shall see the Lord."

"If you have the Holy Spirit, you will have holy actions."
(Leonard Ravenhill)

I think if we're honest with ourselves, we have all found this matter of choosing to be true. I want to choose based on what Jesus has shown me, in His unchanging, eternal Word. Not my own subjective, biased and earthly mind.

I have objectively considered all of these things we've discussed, and put them through the rigorous test of the Scripture myself. This is what I live by. It has not been spoon-fed to me by "some preacher or elder somewhere."

I am not "bewitched", friends. Casting such accusations around shows a possible lack of contextual knowledge, and "grasping at straws" to controvert the plain words of Jesus that we will be judged by.

Oh, we must be so careful what accusations we level at our fellow-believers!

Let us examine concerning what is past, and let us take care for the time to come, that what we write or print with regard to our brethren be expressed in such language as may dare appear and be read by the light of the last conflagration, and the splendor of the tribunal of our returning Lord.
(Isaac Watts)

Come soon, Lord Jesus!

2010/10/14 22:21Profile
JesusIsMyLrd

Iowa, USA

Re:

Quote:
This was NOT directed at you at all!!

Thanks for pointing this out... :)

Quote:
Quote:
Lots of people have been saying on this thread that you can't just follow the Bible, you have to follow the Spirit;

I've tried to read the whole thread but was this actually verbatim... to not follow the Bible? I don't remember reading that exactly. I know that I do not believe that.

I was referring to snufalopogus' statement:

Quote:
Now I am going to make a bold statement that many will not accept, but that's ok. God doesn't want us to obey the written letter. He wants us to obey the Spirit. If we obey the written letter, we are asking for trouble. There is no faith in that, faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen. This was the work of God through the man Jesus. Jesus took the instructions from His father by faith and acted it out and God came through every time.

If you want to live by what the bible says, Good Luck! The Jews tried, and even the early Church tried to do a little mixing of the two and they couldn't. Only one man was able to and that was Jesus and it cost Him His life because of it.

I definitely know that we can only be righteous through the blood of Jesus, but that does not negate the need to follow the Word of God... i was just wanting to make that point, sorry that i didn't make the direct quote, and didn't make myself clear...

Peace and God's blessings be with you,
-nathan

2010/10/14 22:22Profile

Re:

2 Corinthians 3:6
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

2010/10/14 23:48

Re:

Quote:
Again brethren, the Son HAS spoken to us! He HAS shown us the way to live! Let us not reject His words, for we will be judged by them (John 12:48). This is how God has chosen to do it... why should we try to explain it away?

God forbid that anyone would dare to explain away anything that our Lord has said. Most that I have come to know on this site, are just not regular Joe's that just came out of the womb, they want truth regardless of how big that pill is. Truth is never easy to receive. It's usually hidden, obscure, it has to be searched out and even then it's not enough to just stop at what we have found but dig deeper and more truth abounds and the more truth one receives much much more is required of them. "To whom much is given, much is required".

I agree with all of your post Brother. You have spoken truth in all it's entirety. The difference is application.

John 15:7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you.

John 14:10 Believest thou not that I am in the Father, and the Father in me? the words that I speak unto you I speak NOT of myself: but the Father that dwelleth in me, He is doing the works.

The one that is doing the works is the Father through the application of my faith through the operation of the Spirit.

All that Jesus spoke only convinced me of two things. First, I can't do it. Secondly, it must be by Spirit that they are done through faith.

2010/10/15 9:29

Re:

God's Word is precious and I love His word. His Word must be applied by the Holy Spirit. Otherwise, you will drive yourself and others crazy and pull many into error.

I tell my children many, many things. They understand my heart behind my words. They don't follow me around with little notebooks, trying to write every jot and tittle down. They know me and my characteristics. They have stored more up in their heart about me than they could ever write down, consequently, they don't refer to their little notebooks when faced with a decision.

Jer 15:16 Thy words were found, and I did eat them; and thy word was unto me the joy and rejoicing of mine heart: for I am called by thy name, O LORD God of hosts.

Richard Wurmbrand's testimony in "Tortured for Christ", is that while in prison for 14 years, he forgot every scripture he ever memorized. But he never forgot the person and name of JESUS.

Glory be to Jesus Christ. AMEN!!

2010/10/15 11:39

Re: What grace is this?

To JesusIsMyLord (p5)

Quote:
With remarriage, Jesus clearly said in Matthew 19:9 that someone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

That to me sounds very clear.

And we know that no adulterer will enter into heaven (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

Matthew 19:9 And I say unto you, Whosoever shall put away his wife,

except [it be] for fornication,

and

shall marry another, committeth adultery:

and

whoso marrieth her which is put away doth commit adultery.

Brother, do you think 'except for fornication' has no meaning?

2010/10/15 11:46

Re:

Quote:
Brother, do you think 'except for fornication' has no meaning?

No, I think Jesus gave some narrow reasons for divorce and remarriage.

I thought this article had some very good points about remarriage.

http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/1999/october4/9tb082.html?start=1

Here is a quote from it.
"The New Testament, therefore, tells us that marriage is to be seen as a divinely instituted relationship between a man and a woman. It should be monogamous and permanent. However, there are two exceptions where divorce is valid: when a spouse is unfaithful and when an unbelieving spouse deserts the marriage. In each case, the marriage is dissolved and the innocent partner is free to remarry."

One exception was given by Jesus (in the case of adultery) and one exception was given by Paul in the case of an unbeliever leaving the marriage.

With all this said, I think it is interesting that prior to Matthew 19 where Jesus spoke on divorce, in Matthew 18, he spoke on forgiveness, regarding someone that owed a debt so huge, he was completely incapable of paying it.

If you want to go the way of legalists, then answer these questions for me.

When we commit adultery in our heart, are we sinning against the Lord, or our wife or both.

Can a wife divorce a husband who has committed adultery in his heart?

If we take the NT seriously, Jesus said, lusting in the heart is the same as adultery.

What is to become of all of us, when grace and forgiveness only go so far?

2010/10/15 13:51
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re: UntoBabes

Lysa said:

I have no problem with you obeying what you think God reveals to you; it’s when you start teaching this as the doctrine of Christ on this website that I suddenly have a problem with you!

I am sorry, you must be mistaken.
I am not the one posted this thread or the one the story is about, nor do I have any particular interest in the topic of Divorce/re-marriage. My interest lies in the characterestic of saving faith.

2010/10/15 14:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy