SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : What grace is this?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Lysa

East TN for now!

JesusIsMyLrd

Quote:
Please see the "Ante-Nicene Fathers" volumes for yourself to see what they believed about divorce, remarriage, etc.

Are the Ante-Nicene Fathers in my King James Bible? Could there be a valid reason as to WHY their books didn't make it into it?

Quote:
One of the major mistakes of our modern Christianity, is that we have tried to re-invent the wheel...

Are you saying that with the canonized Scripture that that is only when people starting putting their twist on Scripture, situations, problems, etc? So this is a NEW and modern problem?

Lisa

2010/10/14 12:08Profile

Re: JesusIsMyLrd

I have often thought that "bewitch" is such a perfect word that the Holy Spirit chose.

Paul indicates that he was even having a difficult time with the Galatian brothers who seemed to be under a strong spell. You can feel his frustration.

2010/10/14 13:13
Lysa

East TN for now!

Quote:
Are the Ante-Nicene Fathers in my King James Bible?

First off, I want to apologize... this statement soooo sounds like those bumper stickers that say, "If it ain't KJ, it ain't Bible!" I am not one of those people!

I personally like KJV b/c I grew up with it and I'm used to it! But I'm also all for reading what you can understand; you will get no argument from me there! Whew!

What I meant by the above quote is are any of the ante-nicene fathers in my Bible (what-ever version!!!)?

Also, do you think it's a conspiracy that they aren't in my Bible?

Do you read the ante-nicene fathers more than you read the Bible?

God bless,
Lisa

2010/10/14 13:43Profile
UntoBabes

Oregon

Re:

Some understand faith to mean “ Jesus died on the cross for all my sin”. May I suggest that James in the book of James is saying that this kind of faith is no different from the faith of Demons.

The Demons believe there one God who created heaven and earth. He is the only God. Also The Harlot Rahab believed there is one and only God who created heaven and earth. James then goes on to say that Rahab’s faith was a saving faith while the Demon’s faith is not a saving faith. What is the difference then between the Demon’s faith and Rahab’s faith?

Here is the difference. When Rahab believed in God. She laid her life on the line. If she was caught hosting the spies, she would have been killed for treason.

It seems that many of those who say they are followers of Christ have a kind of Faith that is no better than the Demon’s faith. In fact, it is much worse, for they neither fear not tremble as the Demons at least do.

Their faith consists of believing that Jesus died on the cross for their sin, but when that same Jesus put any requirements on them, that is when they cry “ Legalism,… Law,…Salvation by works,…

The Book of Galatians, when taken within the context. First, let me say something about context. You know how in real state they say Location- -Location--Location.
Also in the Bible interpretation the cry must be Context--Context--Context.

Many 0ccult and weird denominations have taken place from the beginning of time until now because they have not adhered to that principle. Understanding context helps to understand the intent of the author.

Back to the book of Galatians.
The book was written to the believers at Galatia who were pressured by the Jews to be circumcised. Paul had nothing against circumcision for he himself had Timothy circumcised . Now, if circumcision was in itself a sin, Paul would never have asked Timothy to do it. Further more, circumcision reflected a most beautiful reality of the circumcision of the heart or to have a heart sensitive to God’s commands. God would have all His people be circumcised if that was the outer sign of the inner reality of their heart.

So, why did the Apostle vehemently was opposed to circumcision ?
He opposed it for the loss of it’s original significance.
In the beginning God chose a people starting with Abraham who were justified by faith and gave them the sign of circumcision to reflect that inner reality . ( Please notice that the faith of Abraham was the same kind of faith Rahab possessed . The story of Abraham begins in Genesis 12. The very first verse begins with a command from God to Abraham.
Gen12:1 Now the LORD had said unto Abram, Get thee out of thy country, and from thy kindred, and from thy father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee:

Gen 12:2 And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great; and thou shalt be a blessing:

Gen 12:3 And I will bless them that bless thee, and curse him that curseth thee: and in thee shall all families of the earth be blessed.

Immediately after God is finished speaking we read Abraham’s response.
Gen 12:4 So Abram departed, as the LORD had spoken unto him;…

Abraham’s faith was tried and proven in many ways even after that. When God gave him a promise that out of his dead body and Sara’s dead body he will have a son, Abraham believed God and was counted to him for righteousness.

Abraham then received the sign of circumcision as an outward sign to show the nations around them that they are God’s people.
God’s has nothing against the law for the law comes from God and reflects His nature and attributes. The law of God is just, holy and good just as God is just, holy and good.

Why then did the law, and especially the ceremonial aspect of it became an obomination in God’ sight? We read in Isaiah 66:3

But whoever sacrifices a bull
is like one who kills a man,
and whoever offers a lamb,
like one who breaks a dog's neck;
whoever makes a grain offering
is like one who presents pig's blood,
and whoever burns memorial incense,
like one who worships an idol.
They have chosen their own ways,
and their souls delight in their abominations;

The answer is as the nature of the the wicked to focus of the outward action, and neglects the inward reality. It is much easier to offer a lamb than to offer one’self as a living sacrifice. It is much easier to give something to the poor out of one’s abundance that to give the last two mites and trust God for provision. And it is much easier to give God lip service than to give Him the heart.
That is why circumcision was an abomination in the sight of God and His spokesman the Apostle.

The believers of Galacia were persecuted for not by the Jews for not getting circumcised and were starting to compromise to avoid persecution.

It would be like some one who avoids talking about Christ to his classmates and gives into peer pressure to avoid redicule, or a Chinese Christian who denies that he knows Christ to avoid imprisonment.

Now the big question.

If I discover that I was living in sin but God in His grace has been long suffering with me not willing that I would perish, should I continue in that sin now that I know better?

If I obey God when He reveals His will to me. I that faith or abominable works?
The answer is for you to decide…

Blessings,

2010/10/14 15:50Profile

Re:

Quote:
So, why was the Apostle vehemently opposed to circumcision? He opposed it for the loss of it’s original significance.

Context is certainly important but not at the expense of Interpretation. This is more consistent with what the Word says.

Was Paul inconsistent when he had Timothy circumcised in Acts 16:3? After all, he had absolutely refused to let Titus be circumcised in Galatians 2:3-5. He said that the truth of the gospel was at stake. To concede that Titus should be circumcised would be tantamount to abandoning the gospel of justification by faith apart from works of law.

But what about Timothy? Acts 16:1-3 says,

Paul came also to Derbe and Lystra. A disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer; but his father was a Greek. He was well spoken of by the brethren at Lystra and Iconium. Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him; and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews that were in those places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek.

There are three differences between the Timothy situation and the Titus situation.

1) Titus was a pure Greek (Galatians 2:3). Timothy was born of a Greek father and a Jewish mother. According to 2 Timothy 3:15, from childhood Timothy had been taught the Old Testament scriptures. In other words, his Jewish mother brought him up as a Jew. But his Greek father had not allowed the circumcision. For Titus the pressure was to become Jewish. Timothy was already very Jewish by race and by training. For him to be circumcised would not have had the implication of moving from Gentile status to Jew status.

2) The people Paul resisted in Galatians 2:3-5 were false brothers. The Jews to whom he catered in Acts 16:3 were not even Christians. The pressure in Galatians 2:3-5 was from professing believers upon another believer to perform a work of law in order to be accepted. But Acts 16:2 says Timothy was “well spoken of by all the brethren at Lystra and Iconium.” No Christians were pushing for Timothy’s circumcision. Rather it was “because of the Jews that were in those places” (16:3) that Paul had Timothy circumcised. “Jews” is used over 85 times in Acts and almost without exception refers to unbelievers. And here they appear to be distinct from “brethren.” So it appears that Timothy’s circumcision was not motivated by “Christian” pressure from within but by a missionary strategy from without.

3) Titus was a “test case” in Jerusalem (Galatians 2:1), but Timothy was to be a constant travel companion (Acts 16:3). Therefore, in Titus’ case a clear theological issue was at stake. But in Timothy’s case, what was at stake was how unbelieving Jews might best be won to Christ. So just as Christian freedom caused Paul to resist Titus’ circumcision, this same freedom allowed him to remove the stumbling block of Timothy’s lack of circumcision. Paul applied his principle from 1 Corinthians 9:20, “To the Jews I became a Jew in order to win the Jews.”

On the basis of these three differences, then, I would say Paul was not inconsistent when he resisted Titus’ circumcision but sought Timothy’s.

credit. John Piper

2010/10/14 17:03
Lysa

East TN for now!

UntoBabes

Quote:
UntoBabes wrote:
If I obey God when He reveals His will to me. I that faith or abominable works?
The answer is for you to decide…

I have no problem with you obeying what you think God reveals to you; it’s when you start teaching this as the doctrine of Christ on this website that I suddenly have a problem with you!

The same thing is happening on this thread that happened in Galatia. There are people who have been set free by the grace of God that visit SI but someone (you and others) are coming into the fold disguised as sheep trying to get them to take their eyes off the Cross and look unto themselves for deliverance only to put them into bondage – right where you are.

And just like the Galatians, they’ve seen and experienced the Spirit of God, the miracles and the gifts (verse 5) and perhaps not firmly planted in the Word of God and along come folk like you and others trying to speak vain words into their ears that don’t profit OR deliver. (1 Samuel 12.21)

You have taken your eyes off the cross and are looking to what you can do IN YOUR FLESH to make you holy and there is nothing and you can’t see it because you are bewitched.

No matter how much you type out 'context, context, context' is going to change the fact that it's only FAITH that pleases the Lord... period.

2010/10/14 19:36Profile

Re: UntoBabes

Someone came into our house church and for six months was just a great brother. After that time, he began to tell everyone that God is telling him that we should meet on Saturdays now. We just told him that if the Lord is telling him to do that, he probably better do it. He did not stay much longer.

2010/10/14 20:07

Re:

Quote:
Some understand faith to mean “ Jesus died on the cross for all my sin”. May I suggest that James in the book of James is saying that this kind of faith is no different from the faith of Demons.

First of all Demons have no faith, there is no where on record that God doled out faith to these worthless creatures. They believe because their fate is in His hands and they tremble because of it.

Secondly, Trusting God is the most difficult work that anyone can do. It means not doing anything until you hear instructions from God Himself to do this that and the other. The scriptures are plain when it says that we are not our own, we can't just do what we please. The instructions that I am speaking of is related to the Kingdom of God, not daily activities that we need to survive.
Quote:
John 6:28 Then said they unto him, What shall we do, that we might work the works of God? 29 Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.

That's quite a statement. But it's a truth that is very hard to do.

We feel that we need to do something to please God and Lysa has it right that the only thing that pleases God is faith.

Let me expound on what that means. Why does faith please God?

When God speaks to us to do a certain thing, and we obey Him, that is faith. That is what it means "faith without works is dead". This is what the Father would say to Jesus, "Now today my Son, you'll see a blind man since his birth, I want you to take your spittle and make clay out of it and anoint his eyes with it and command him to wash in the pool of Siloam."

Now if Jesus hadn't listened to His Father, His faith would be dead. It's only alive when He acts upon every word that proceedeth from the mouth of God.

Now I am going to make a bold statement that many will not accept, but that's ok. God doesn't want us to obey the written letter. He wants us to obey the Spirit. If we obey the written letter, we are asking for trouble. There is no faith in that, faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not seen. This was the work of God through the man Jesus. Jesus took the instructions from His father by faith and acted it out and God came through every time.

If you want to live by what the bible says, Good Luck! The Jews tried, and even the early Church tried to do a little mixing of the two and they couldn't. Only one man was able to and that was Jesus and it cost Him His life because of it.

2010/10/14 20:13

Re:

Quote:
Now I am going to make a bold statement that many will not accept, but that's ok. God doesn't want us to obey the written letter. He wants us to obey the Spirit. If we obey the written letter, we are asking for trouble.

Romans 8:4
4 That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.

Amen!

2010/10/14 20:57
JesusIsMyLrd

Iowa, USA

Hello Lysa!

Thanks for your comments, and no problem with the KJV reference :) I understood what you meant.

I definitely understand what you are saying about the Ante-Niecene Fathers, and no, i don't read them more than my Bible.

I have found it a great reference when studying, because they lived in those times, understood all the cultural aspects of the times and places where the scriptures were written, and wrote and spoke the language.

When we take the Bible and look at it with our culture, our viewpoints, and our understanding, and interpret it from there, we can come up with some pretty twisted ideas, as we have seen in the past, and present with false teachers.

But the point that i wanted to make is that many here are looking at the scriptures in their own understanding, and often it is skewed by their own ideas, interpretations, etc.

Lots of people have been saying on this thread that you can't just follow the Bible, you have to follow the Spirit; i say amen to that, but it is a fact that Jesus said His words were "Spirit and... Life" (John 6:63).

When we follow, by faith, the things that are clearly stated in the Word of God, trusting God for grace to do them, that is not walking in the flesh; it is obedience, which is definitely emphasized, over and over in Jesus' teachings. Obedience to God.

If we only follow what we feel is the "Spirit" and never read our Bibles, in all honesty, how close to the truth would we be in the end? How much of our own selfish motives would tint our walk? Much more than we would like to admit.

You had asked if the Ante-Nicene Fathers were in your Bible... No, they are not.

But neither are your words, and thoughts on this subject. The question is, what does the Word of God clearly say.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts, but so far, there has been much heat here, and lots of opinions, etc. That's ok, in the correct place, but lots of people have made is sound as if these are absolutes, and they are not.

With remarriage, Jesus clearly said in Matthew 19:9 that someone who marries a divorced woman commits adultery.

That to me sounds very clear.

And we know that no adulterer will enter into heaven (1 Corinthians 6:9-10)

Are there absolutes, or are there not? When we start saying, "Hey if the Spirit revealed this to you, go for it" regardless of what the Word of God says, we must confess that we are either denying that there are absolutes, or that there are none.

I'm not sure if you belief that or not, so please don't take it as a slam. I'm just making a point; when one says he/she is being led by the Spirit, and it is not in line with the Word of God, they are being deceived.

Quote:
And just like the Galatians, they’ve seen and experienced the Spirit of God, the miracles and the gifts (verse 5) and perhaps not firmly planted in the Word of God and along come folk like you and others trying to speak vain words into their ears that don’t profit OR deliver. (1 Samuel 12.21)

You have taken your eyes off the cross and are looking to what you can do IN YOUR FLESH to make you holy and there is nothing and you can’t see it because you are bewitched.

As far as being delivered, i have been delivered, not from the will of God (His law) but i have been delivered from sin, and have been freed to serve my Lord Jesus with all that is in me... when i gave my life to Jesus, i truly started living...

2010/10/14 21:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy