SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Willow Creek Pastor Puts High Price Tag on New Vision

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Its re-hashing the social gospel for the 1890-1910's.

People need to hear the gospel and yes lets also feed the poor but the soul comes first. This was the emphasis of the Salvation Army group before they backslide to the present condition.

Oh God help this generation, how we need revival. We all need it!

2010/10/12 18:50Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

I'm not sure I see how this is a re-hashing of the social gospel? Could you be more specific of how what Bill Hybles is doing is simply that? Again, I'm not a big fan of Bill Hybles. But I don't see how having a big social agenda, which seems to be driven by a desire to share the gospel with others, is just another version of the social gospel. Keep in mind that Hybles has had a big heart for personal evangelism over the years. Indeed, he took time to write a book about it.

2010/10/12 18:53Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

"Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had arrogance, abundant food and careless ease, but she did not help the poor and needy.”(Ezek.16:49)

"Is this not the fast which I choose, To loosen the bonds of wickedness, To undo the bands of the yoke, And to let the oppressed go free And break every yoke? "Is it not to divide your bread with the hungry And bring the homeless poor into the house; When you see the naked, to cover him;
And not to hide yourself from your own flesh?"(Isa.58:6-7)

“And He also went on to say to the one who had invited Him, "When you give a luncheon or a dinner, do not invite your friends or your brothers or your relatives or rich neighbors, otherwise they may also invite you in return and that will be your repayment. "But when you give a reception, invite the poor, the crippled, the lame, the blind, and you will be blessed, since they do not have the means to repay you; for you will be repaid at the resurrection of the righteous." (Luke 14:12-14)

"When the Son of Man comes in his glory, and all the angels with him, he will sit on his throne in heavenly glory. All the nations will be gathered before him, and he will separate the people one from another as a shepherd separates the sheep from the goats. He will put the sheep on his right and the goats on his left. "Then the King will say to those on his right, 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world. For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.' "Then the righteous will answer him, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry and feed you, or thirsty and give you something to drink? When did we see you a stranger and invite you in, or needing clothes and clothe you? When did we see you sick or in prison and go to visit you?' "The King will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me.' "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels. For I was hungry and you gave me nothing to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not invite me in, I needed clothes and you did not clothe me, I was sick and in prison and you did not look after me.' "They also will answer, 'Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?' "He will reply, 'I tell you the truth, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.' "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."(Matt.25:36-41)

And he would answer and say to them, "The man who has two tunics is to share with him who has none; and he who has food is to do likewise."(Luke 3:11)

“He who is generous will be blessed, For he gives some of his food to the poor” (Prov.22:9).

Why don't we see much of this being applied in a biblical sense these days(meaning with the inclusion of the true gospel being proclaimed)? It seems that we have gotten too comfortable in our lavish lifestyles here in the west. And we have become too afraid to go into the dark parts of society to seek out the least of the lost. Yet we see Christ making an emphasis of that type of ministry in the gospels.

2010/10/12 18:55Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Oracio Luke 14 is a parable about the Kingdom of God.

Mark 14:5-7
5For it might have been sold for more than three hundred pence, and have been given to the poor. And they murmured against her.
6And Jesus said, Let her alone; why trouble ye her? she hath wrought a good work on me.
7For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always.

Loving Jesus is utmostly and foremostly needed.

John 6:48-51I am that bread of life.
49Your fathers did eat manna in the wilderness, and are dead.
50This is the bread which cometh down from heaven, that a man may eat thereof, and not die.
51I am the living bread which came down from heaven: if any man eat of this bread, he shall live for ever: and the bread that I will give is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world.

There is a need to minister to the poor, but I think to those who are willing to hear the gospel. Rom 15:27

Jimmy: anybody can write a book!! and I'd watch that megachurch of yours..i'm just saying...:)

2010/10/12 19:31Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

Quote:
There is a need to minister to the poor, but I think to those who are willing to hear the gospel. Rom 15:27

StarofGod I would have to highly disagree with you. We do not see Jesus placing a condition on people for Him to feed them. In John 6:26-27 we are told that He knew they followed Him with selfish motives, to get fed only, not to hear the Word. Yet he still fed them anyway. He said, "Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your father who is in Heaven."Matthew 5:13.

When we tell the poor, "I will not help you unless you hear the gospel", we do not show the love of God, but rather we show our hard hearts toward our fellow neighbors. May the Lord help us to see the lost as He sees them, with compassion.

2010/10/12 19:45Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

ok, you feed the poor, I'm going to preach the gospel. :)

2010/10/12 19:49Profile
Oracio

Whittier CA USA

Re:

I understand that not all of us can physically participate in practical ministry to the poor due to certain limitations, but most of us can at least give of our resources to ministries that do that kind of outreach. If we do not even consider supporting worthy ministries, I would venture to say there is a serious problem in our relationship with God and our neighbor.

2010/10/12 19:59Profile
StarofG0D

United States

Re:

Oracio, I am not saying it is wrong to give to certain ministries or to others. There is certainly a need, and it mostly certainly should be done. But when giving overrides the hearing of the Word, it is imbalanced. Anyone can share the gospel, there is no excuse. Lost people are in our path every day, unless you are unable to leave your home, and then there is an occasional wrong number telephone call, or a knock at the door. Prime opportunity to share the gospel!

Be blessed.
Michelle

2010/10/12 20:08Profile
hoohoou

Texas

Re:

Michelle, you may have already but try giving Jackie Pullinger's "God uses the Foolish Things" (or something like that) a listen. She gives an excellent message on this very topic.

Jesus said that whatsoever you do to the least of people you do to Him. I think that the gospel would be much more readily accepted if we could show people the love of Christ and let Him reveal the sin. There are stories all through the bible of this. Jesus healed and they believed. Peter and John didn't have any money but they freely gave. Jesus had compassion and healed the multitudes. The truth must be told, surely, but while we were yet sinners Christ died for us. That's a pretty good gospel there. 2,000 years before little ole me knew Him He died for me. Maybe we could give someone some medicine so that in a couple years they'll remember and come in a time of spiritual distress to receive the Cure for what really ails them.

Just my thoughts, God bless.

2010/10/12 22:20Profile
learn

Re:

Bless you hoohoou. I was thinking of Jackie Pullinger and Jesus healing people (which some of these healed people later coming to Christ) too. Jackie went overseas to preach the gospel but nobody would listen. It was not until that she came to the Lord and God told her to live with them to take care of their needs that souls were saved. When we are physically starving for food, shelter etc, our pressing and immediate needs are what gets our attention. If you or your kid is starving, you wouldn't be interested in hearing about some future event but you would certainly be interested if they can help provide the next meal to you. God knows it and He takes care of our needs, that's why at times He uses this way to spread His gospel.

There are other ways too to spread the gospel and sometimes its the direct way ie in preaching the gospel upfront.

2010/10/12 22:26Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy