SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : Coming Out of The Church: The Remnant Heresy

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
PosterThread
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

So, yes, come out of her MY people, refers to coming out of the false religious systems which are part of the world system. Yes, even a false "christian" religious system.

I attend a Church that is part of a rather large denomination. But I attend where I attend, and am a member there, in spite of the fact that this denomination exists. Truth be told, I could care less about the denomination, and so far as I have seen, the denomination has little to no impact on what happens on a day to day basis in the Church.

And while I am there, I fellowship with my brethren, and minister to them. This denominational umbrella does not keep me from being together with them, and loving the Lord together. Oh, sometimes a pesky little thing will sneak in there that reminds us our Church is connected to a larger denominational body. But that's ok. I can still fellowship there, and avoid things like getting licensed with the denomination, or deliberately sending the headquarters any of my money.

And you know what? The apostle Paul operated in such a manner. Indeed, there were sects that existed within the Church at Corinth. But did that keep Paul from enjoying fellowship with them, and ministering to them? No, not at all. Oh, he was sure to remind them that that the party spirit that they had enjoined themselves to was contrary to the way of the Lord, and exhorted them to stop. But he didn't make the problem worse by starting his own denomination, and calling everybody else to follow in step. For if he did that, as many in "the remnant" are doing, you would be falling into the exact same error.

The Lord's solution for our time and age is not to start a denomination called, "the Remnant." Some of you are doing just that, and in turn, are no different than every other denomination that exists in Christianity today. You're of the same spirit, and you don't even know it.

That's sad. But it's ok, I was once too such a fellow. You can change, even as I did.

*edited*

2010/10/3 19:31Profile

Re:

Quote:
That is ultimately why I cannot tolerate this idea of a remnant, and the dividing of Christians from Christians, and am so bold as to call it heresy. If Jesus is living in both of us, and laboring through both of us, then both of us need to figure out a way to get along together. Going out into some imaginary wilderness to be alone day after day, week after week, and year after year, and living a separated life from brethren within your proximity, is simply not a Biblical idea.

Jimmy, I am spending a lot of time reading your posts and I am coming to the opinion that you do not understand what we are saying or what the Word is saying.

I get along with everyone that loves the Lord in purity. You seem to have your identity really tied to the IC (Institutional Church) and any negative comment about the IC system you consider an offense against yourself.

That is just wrong and I am seeing a better picture of you. You want people to agree with you on certain things otherwise you conclude that "we" cannot get along.

And when you say, "Going out into some imaginary wilderness to be alone day after day, week after week, and year after year, and living a separated life from brethren within your proximity, is simply not a Biblical idea", that tells me that you absolutely have not learned or understood anything that anyone has said on this thread.

You do not sound teachable or open at all. It is almost like you are rolling your eyes while we are talking. How deep into the IC are you?

You cannot tolerate the idea of a Remnant? That comes from God not any man. The Remnant is God's Called out Ones. Simple. That should be you and me and everybody else that names the name of the Lord Jesus.

If you have valuable relationships and want to stay in your denomination, then do it and be blessed. You should also accord your brothers and sisters the same freedom to meet in their homes under the Lordship of Jesus. Is there a problem with that?

2010/10/3 19:32

Re:

Quote:
But he didn't make the problem worse by starting his own denomination, and calling everybody else to follow in step. For if he did that, as many in "the remnant" are doing, you would be falling into the exact same error.

I don't know of any denomination called the Remnant. You are in a denomination. Paul was not. What do you think of that.

Early church was all house churches. What do you think of that?

Whatever you refer to as the Remnant, they just want to be left alone. I think they just want to hold fast to the Head, Jesus Christ and no one wants to start anything. Oh, I have rea of some groups that want to organize house churches, but that is off the wall and not the Holy Spirit. God does not need our organizational skills.

2010/10/3 19:36
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

How deep into the IC are you?

Brother, I don't consider myself part of any "Institutional Church." I consider myself simply a part of the Church.

2010/10/3 19:39Profile

Re:

Quote:
Brother, I don't consider myself part of any "Institutional Church." I consider myself simply a part of the Church.

Then consider those outside of denominations, like the one that you are in, part of the church, too.

2010/10/3 19:41
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

Early church was all house churches. What do you think of that?

I could really care less where we meet. I would prefer a house church. But I'm totally ok with a larger venue if that is also where the saints are meeting.

Quote:

You are in a denomination. Paul was not. What do you think of that.

Just because I fellowship with a Church that meets under the umbrella of a larger denominational tag does not mean I am in a denomination. I fellowship with Christians where ever they are at, even if they insist on flying a flag over the place we meet at.

2010/10/3 19:43Profile

Re:

Quote:
My definition of what constitutes a local Church is legitimately saved group of people who have committed themselves to regularly assembling together for the purpose of being built up in the faith, and furthering the gospel together. And it is my conviction that so long as there are legitimately saved people in your area, that you should assemble with them and do these very things, no matter how imperfect your assembling might be.

So maybe we are getting somewhere, then.

I meet with legitimately saved people. Should the denomination down the street start meeting with us or should we start meeting with them? I think we were here first. What say you? I don't think they would take too kindly to dissolving and meeting with us. Some of them would have to get jobs. Interestingly, I know 5-6 house churches in our area, all independent and free and when I met them, they were more than happy to meet with us sometimes. But I don't think we would have much success asking a denomination to consider closing their doors and meeting with us. Do you know why this is so? If you have been reading all these posts you would know why. You act so naive, but I don't think you are.

2010/10/3 19:50
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

I meet with legitimately saved people. Should the denomination down the street start meeting with us or should we start meeting with them? I think we were here first. What say you?

Good, and I am glad you do. But keep in mind my posts have been targeted to those who don't meet with anybody locally. As the original post stated, I have in mind those brothers whose only form of fellowship is via the internet, and maybe the random conference they attend. If they fellowship with anybody in their locality, it almost on accident, and seldom intentional. For the most part, they have written off organizing together with any brethren to frequently fellowship in their locality.

And for the record, I believe we can generally expect denominations to crack under their own weight, as they have faulty foundations. I am looking unto the Lord to do this in His due time, and indeed, believes He is doing so right now. Indeed, some denominations right now, due to the economic recession, are pretty close to broke.

2010/10/3 19:59Profile
live4jc

Re:

Dear brothers/sisters,

It's possible I may be over simplifying things, but could it be that the truth is somewhere in the middle ? (of course, there are time when this principle may not hold true).

In other words, could there be some misunderstanding going on here ....?

The reason I'm wondering is that there are those who are saying that there is a remnant within the body of Christ, in other words -those who truly know Christ and are born from above. This stance does jive with statements in the word of God about many people saying on the day of Judgment, "Lord, Lord did we not..", with Christ replying, " I never knew you". Also, we have the admonishments in scripture to 'examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith'. So if the idea of a 'remnant' is to focus people who attend churches on examining themselves, it seems that would be a good thing.

However, a valid point has also been made that when Christ, in the book of Revelations, delivers a message to each of the 7 churches, the message for each of these churches is more a message of repentance, than necessarily to abandon the church already established to create something new. This was the case with the church of Corinth, where a man had committed incest, and he and possibly the church as a whole, needed to receive church discipline. Having said this, I do believe there are times when God will call us as individuals to leave one church and to go to another. But it seems like generally the way he works is to refine a body of believers, and to get them to abandon the folly of their ways, if necessary. There are for sure times, when God calls us to suspend fellowship with another believer, (as they did in Corinth) but the intension was always to bring about a restoration, and I believe this is God's great desire for the church today, even if restoration must first come about through judgment ("For it is time for judgment to begin with the family of God" 1 Peter 4 :16-19)

Just a few thoughts.

Love in Christ,
John

2010/10/3 20:04Profile

Re:

Quote:
Good, and I am glad you do. But keep in mind my posts have been targeted to those who don't meet with anybody locally. As the original post stated, I have in mind those brothers whose only form of fellowship is via the internet, and maybe the random conference they attend. If they fellowship with anybody in their locality, it almost on accident, and seldom intentional. For the most part, they have written off organizing together with any brethren to frequently fellowship in their locality.

Well, there are some hurting people out there. And who is it that is going to determine what is regular? Some men, even Leonard Ravenhill have gone without "fellowship" for months while seeking the Lord. What if they have the fellowship of 1 or 2 brothers? I am sure Paul on his missionary journeys only had 1 or 2 brothers with him at a time and it took a long time to get to where he was going.

So, you are talking about people that absolutely do not want any fellowship of any kind? I thought you were speaking negatively about people "leaving the "Church"." That is what your thread is titled.

Is it not dangerous to start making rules concerning what is frequent fellowship and how many we should be meeting with? Thank God the Holy Spirit is always with us. You can't always get good, healthy fellowship in the Spirit.

But once again, it seems that you are now talking about people that absolutely do not want any fellowship of any kind?

2010/10/3 20:08

©2002-2019 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Privacy Policy