SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : The End of Denominations

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 )
PosterThread

Re:

Jimmy, as a young believer I was discipled by an old Saint in Japan and one thing that he always told me and the other Navy and Marine guys (This was a Serviceman's Center in Yokohama), was that wherever you go, if you don't find any fellowship, make it! What he meant was, preach the Gospel! My second ship in the Navy was a Supply Ship with no Christians on board. At least no professing Christians that I could find (450 men). I had just come off of an aircraft carrier where I was lost for the 1st year, but then got saved and my remaining year onboard, I walked daily with Jesus Christ. My new ship also did not have a Chaplain on board. So, I figured if I could not find any Christians, I would just start witnessing. Actually, continue witnessing, because that is pretty much all I ever did on the aircraft carrier. So, I spent half my paycheck every two weeks buying tracts, passing them out and spending long hours talking with guys. Especially the ones that were confined to the ship for infractions. By the time I left the ship 18 months later, the Lord graciously added 8 Believers to his kingdom and I had fellowship. It really was a sweet time. We grew quite close as you can imagine, because there was plenty of persecution.

I remember asking the Lord "what do I teach them", (after they became Christians) and He simply said, teach them what I have taught you so far. I was about 1-2 years old in the Lord by then. Well, those were pretty good words, because I had been taught enough by the Lord to hunger after Him and His Word, run after Him with all my heart, run away from sin, etc, etc.

My point is, you never have to think that your only recourse in life is to join a denomination. Invite a neighbor over for a barbecue or something. Mix with people, talk to people at work, or if you can't (because you were not employed to witness), then talk to them after work. The main thing is be sensitive to the Holy Spirit to guide you in your relationships. God is relationship oriented as you can see in Jesus daily life and the Holy Spirit will guide you in different ways to talk to people. He will actually setup appointments for you. Fellowship is important, but remember, if you are always just going to a church building, usually only Believers are there. And what's wrong with inviting Believers that you know over for a prayer meeting and give a short word or read a chapter together with them and then discuss it. In my 33 years as a Christian, I have mostly been outside the religious system and been in many house churches in my travels. There are Believers in denominations, but that is not the only place where you will find them. Main thing is love people. Jesus loved people. When you do this, opportunities will open up to talk to them about Jesus. There are many hurting people out there who have no hope. If you have Jesus you will be fine. I was a young Believer, had no fellowship, but a lot of guys to talk to (lots of potential fellowship) and the Lord kept me daily.

Sometimes, I think we dwell too much on ourselves and not others. Not saying you do, because I don't know you, but just trying to encourage you. Remember, you can do all things through Christ (not the Church) who strengthens you.

The Church may not always be there. Think of Prem Pradhan or Richard Wurmbrand when they were in prison. What did they do? They share Christ's love and preached the Gospel and miracles happened in men's lives.

2010/9/26 1:05
fromtheold

South Africa

Re: The End of Denominations

14That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

15But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

16From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love.

2010/9/26 5:38Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy