SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Lamp Oil?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
Crux

Lamp Oil?

In the parable of the ten virgins what is the oil that is being talked of? I'm quite certain it's not the "anointing" that some faith healers want you to top up on during soaking meetings and such. What is it though?

2010/8/19 7:48Profile
jimp

Re: Lamp Oil?

hi, wisdom... be ready today... now...do not look to the past or to the future.today is the day of salvation.jimp

2010/8/19 9:17Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Lamp Oil?

The oil represents the Holy Spirit

1Sa 16:13 Then Samuel took the horn of oil, and anointed him in the midst of his brethren: and the Spirit of the LORD came upon David from that day forward. So Samuel rose up, and went to Ramah.

The point of the parable of the wise and foolish virgins is preparedness. Having their vessels full at all times. Ready the moment the bridegroom calls. Their vessels were full of the Holy Ghost. They were constantly making sure they stayed filled.

I have heard preached that the word is filled is progressive, be being filled.

We need the baptism of the Holy Spirit.

2010/8/19 9:26Profile
jimp

Re:

hi,go buy oil... can you buy the Holy Spirit?jimp

2010/8/19 10:05Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re:

We can buy truth.

Proverbs 23v23, 'Buy the truth and do not sell it...'.

So what does that mean?

As for the Holy Spirit, haven't a clue.

2010/8/19 10:13Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

"“Ho! Everyone who thirsts, Come to the waters; And you who have no money, Come, buy and eat. Yes, come, buy wine and milk Without money and without price." Is 55:1 NKJV

2010/8/19 10:33Profile
knitefall

Re:

Ya'll asking for an argument with this one too! I must laugh over all this. I find it hilarious entertainment. You know what the oil is? IT'S OIL!

No kidding.

If oil is Grace then it makes good sense. Jesus was ALWAYS displaying the difference of religion(law/works) and the Father's Way(s). What can you present to Him w/o any Grace to do it? The "religious" who thought they were good and great, above all the rest on sermon index... I mean, the rest of the Jews, thought they can Act right, Behave good enough and keep the Law. The Lord NEVER said to keep it and He will make them Righteous. David and Moses both had it right when they displayed the Father's own heart is saying, "Lord, make me your own possession/ give me your perfect Righteousness."

Why do you think Jesus came? Because we have NONE of our own. He must give all Righteousness to us. And that, only through the Cross and through Grace. So-

If you show up to God with your own good merit, your foolish and are confounded by those who have full lamps, -"Give me Grace God... I messed up again today..."

Word of advise, Don't let the wounded Christian die.

Since many are put down due that they cannot complete man's rules for living for God. It's all spelled out in the story. Read it with the renewed mindset that you're a sinner and have need of His Righteousness.

(the lamps are gone out... could simply mean that the veil is over your face again. This is why people get excited at campmeetings. "We're gunna buckle down, clench our fists and show God we love Him... blah blah drivle LAW!!!!!!! It only lasts for a moment and then the feeling of power is gone out...) my friends, Grace is the answer to properly living for God. If you don't believe me then you try to live perfectly. You'll find yourself going down a steep mountain.

2010/8/19 10:47Profile

Re:

This parable remains the most shocking to me.

What sticks out whenever thinking about it is not the issue of the oil so much as all ten virgins were asleep...

Why i don't know, but what Jesus said in Luke 18 right at the beginning of the chapter is always thought of in relation to this. Maybe because when you sleep you are not praying?

"And he spake . . . unto them to this end, that men ought always to pray, and not to faint . . . And shall not God avenge his own elect, which cry day and night unto him, though he bear long with them? I tell you that he will avenge them speedily. Nevertheless when the Son of man cometh, shall he find faith on the earth?"
Lk. 18.1, 7-8

2010/8/19 12:42
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

It's common to say the oil is the Holy Spirit, and while such an interpretation has some merit to it, I personally don't think the oil represents anything specifically per say. The "thrust" of the parable is about being prepared. Thus, those who did not have oil and whose wicks were not trimmed were simply those who were unready and who were not prepared for when the bridegroom came.

I think if one tries to assign any definite meaning behind the oil or the wick, one is interpreting this parable too allegorically. While sometimes parables have a sense of allegory to them, sometimes the items in them are incidental and exist simply to further the story along. Sometimes, like a well told joke, parables are just meant to be "got," and not disected for secret hidden meanings and allegories.

The only question really is then, did you "get" the parable of the wise and foolish virgins? And if so, have you taken it to heart?

That is the meaning of the parable.

*edited for additional thoughts after the fact*

2010/8/19 13:35Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: KJ

"Sometimes, like a well told joke, parables are just meant to be "got," and not disected for secret hidden meanings and allegories."

Agreed, more errors are made about interpreting parables by us Greeks because we think allegorically than probably any other parts of scripture.

Parables are not allegories.

2010/8/19 13:45Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy