SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Apocrypha?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
mguldner

Kansas

Apocrypha?

Could someone tell me why these books where taken out of the bible? Or what they actually contain or are about? Just curious is all :)

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/8/5 12:58Profile
Yeshuasboy

Northern Rockies, BC, Canada

Re: Apocrypha?

I'm pretty sure you can check it out for yourself @ www.ccel.org if you wish. Go to their search-engine once on the site.

2010/8/5 13:33Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

mguldner on 2010/8/5 14:58:29 writes:
"Could someone tell me why these books where taken out of the bible?"

that is a Roman Catholic question. ;-)
The Protestant asks 'why were these books put into the Bible?'

It all depends how deeply you want to go into this topic. This URL may be more than you want but it might also be a good place to start.

http://www.bible-researcher.com/canon2.html

2010/8/5 14:10Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re:

"that is a Roman Catholic question. ;-)
The Protestant asks 'why were these books put into the Bible?"

A nice little dose of British humor to start off the day never hurt anyone :)

If I remember correctly a few protestants also asked why the books of Hebrews, James and Jude were put into the bible as well!

2010/8/5 14:27Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

I have tried to read the Apocrypha with little success. The shortest explanation is that I got bored.

However, I did enjoy "Bel and the Dragon" and "The Story of Susanna".

Try reading it and I do not think it will take long for you to understand why it is not included in the canon.

My opinion,
ginnyrose

2010/8/5 16:47Profile
mguldner

Kansas

Re:

I did try and read some of them to no avail :S Perhaps they were just to boring to put in the bible :)

I guess I asked out of the curiousity that they might be to my benefit but having tried to read them I just couldn't do it. So ginny you are probably right.

I read online that some of the reasons they weren't included was doctrinal problems but I honestly have no desire to read them. Oh well I guess I will just cut my loses and carry on, unless of course there is someone that has a strong opinion about reading the Apocrypha :)

Thanks for the responses.

God Bless,
Matthew

2010/8/5 17:06Profile
narrowpath

Germany NRW

I read the book of Enoch. Jude 1:14-15 quotes 1 Enoch 60:8)

14And Enoch also, the seventh from Adam, prophesied of these, saying, Behold, the Lord cometh with ten thousands of his saints,
15To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.

It is full of righteous indignation of against the antediluvian world where the Nephilim reigned with soon would be drowned. Enoch lived in anticipation of a coming judgement and his rapture validated his prophesy. I think we live in such a time right now. I am not qualified to verify its validity but found it quite inspiring.

2010/8/5 19:19Profile
Areadymind

Pacific Ocean

Re: Narrowpath

I just read it a few months ago for the exact same reason Narrow...

I found it to have said a few very powerful things as well. It seemed to me as if more than just Jude borrowed from its wording, I saw correlations to all sorts of New Testament theology. I was struck by how it seemed so messianic...but then again I am not a language scholar so I may have been getting terms mixed up. The very bizarre and awkward part of the book is the angelic cosmology. Which in some ways I have noticed that the Bible does say similar things about the Angels that Enoch speaks of, it is just that the Book of Enoch vastly amplifies certain concepts that make me a bit uncomfortable. But if it was good enough for Jude to quote from, it is certainly worth reading in my opinion.

There was one sentence in the book that I found to be intriguing.

"It was never God's intention that man should affirm his faith with pen and ink."

I can see though why Jude drew inspiration from it. It completely and totally fits the tone of Jude. As the book of Jude is the most apocalyptic of the Epistles.

Jesus did warn about the days of Noah returning...

2010/8/5 19:33Profile
Giggles

"Could someone tell me why these books where taken out of the bible?"

To my understanding the books are not recognized by cannon (by Protestants) because of the timeframe in which they were written. The majority of them were written between the 1st-3rd centuries b.c. Protestants originally looking at the prophecy of Malachi interpreted that God would not speak again until Elijah came. From the words of Christ, we know this return of Elijah to be none other than John Baptist. Therefore, they reject the Apocrypha as inerrant and inspired. There is probably wisdom to be gleaned there, just as their is in reading a book by any other author; they are just not regared as infallible.

2010/8/5 23:30Profile
Koheleth

NC

Quote:
Could someone tell me why these books where taken out of the bible? Or what they actually contain or are about? Just curious is all :)

They were not taken out per se. You might also say that the Books in your Bible were not put in. The Scriptures have given us no standard canon, so men or groups of men (in the early centuries) decided which books they recognized as inspired. Most of the lists varied, often leaving out some books in our Bibles and adding other items that are not in our Bible.

I say all this because there are a number of Christians who recognize books outside of the Bible to also be inspired Scripture. Probably the most common is the Book of Enoch, but there are others. Nothing authoritative, apart from a vague consensus from the early centuries, has indicated which books are and are not Scripture. We have the same right as they, to evaluate documents by the Spirit of God to discern the voice of God.

One test of whether a book is Scripture is to examine whether it is consistent, true, and accurate. Jesus said, "The Scripture cannot be broken." So this test of integrity and historical coherence is one way to separate Scripture from non-Scripture.

2010/8/5 23:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy